Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Jose Riga

Comments

• SPREAD OUT could be the most insightful advice under the KM as manager era, playing 1-10.
  • Chris O'Loughlin's red and white army.
  • How about giving Karel another chance - should be cheap.
  • Other than selling up and moving on the right thing to do for the club right now is hold onto some stability. Keep Riga and give him a squad with a good chance of promotion.

However as others have pointed out they either don't know their arse from their elbow or have an agenda where winning is an unfortunate by product of breaking even financially. Expect Riga to go and Ukrainian bloke to take his place.
  • Riga should stay and do an entire season with us. We need stability........even if it means a mid table year to rebuild and get back a basic level of confidence.

We kept bailey (1980) and Parkinson (2009) both stayed after relegation. So should Riga now.
  • The main question for me is realistically who would they bring in if Riga goes?

If it's another network appointment then we should keep Jose, no question (that's assuming he WANTS to stay). If they are going to break with tradition and replace Riga with a manager who has a track record of working and being successful with clubs in the lower leagues, then we should let him go.
  • I actually quite like Riga. He has taken on the Charlton job in horribly difficult circumstances on both occasions and has played his hand as well as can be expected.

However, Riga will be the scapegoat for all of Duchatelet's and Meire's failings. His sacking will complete the total vacuum of leadership on the football side, no manager, no chief scout, players leaving. It is impossible to "rebuild" for next season in these circumstances despite all of Ms Meire's meaningless platitudes.

So long José.
  • Sponsored links:

• Riga won't resign unless he has an agreement in place with Duchatelet to pay up the remainder of the contract. Riga negotiated an 18 month contract, and I don't think he did that because he thought Duchatelet would keep him in post for 18 months.
  • I would like Riga to stay. He has done well, and although desired result not achieved, we atleast resemble a football team.
    Also he is very pleasing to the eye....
  • I think Riga is a good manager. If we need to have a Flemish speaker in order to tell RD where to go, he's the man.

All up for a change if and God only hopes, RD sells, that's a different question.

If RD digs his hole deeper, keeping Riga is the least worst outcome.
  • Riga should stay and do an entire season with us. We need stability........even if it means a mid table year to rebuild and get back a basic level of confidence.

We kept bailey (1980) and Parkinson (2009) both stayed after relegation. So should Riga now.

Actually Parky was sacked, Richard Murray told us so.
  • vff said:

Riga won't resign unless he has an agreement in place with Duchatelet to pay up the remainder of the contract. Riga negotiated an 18 month contract, and I don't think he did that because he thought Duchatelet would keep him in post for 18 months.

Have you seen this contract? Maybe there was a relegation clause.

• I would like to see him stay. As already said by others, he seems to get the best out of some of our underperforming/low confidence players.
    The other question is, what proven British managers are available? The majority of those out of work are in that position because they failed in their last job.
  • This may not be true but I recall a number of English managers becoming available because of them being either racist cunts or just general cunts.

Expect we could not afford the exceptions.
  • Riga, with the help of some extra experienced players brought in, has created a competitive and organised team, if nothing else. Whether he could do the same in L1, I don't know

Powell had the luxury of being able to create a team from scratch, next season whoever is in charge will have a lot of highly paid deadwood to deal with
  • Pretty obvious he won't be here next season
  • Sponsored links:

• Oakster said:

SDAddick said:

I like Riga, I think he's a decent coach, and I think he has strong man management skills and Pope, Fox, Cousins, JBG, and Harriott have all improved markedly under him. I'm not convinced that just because a manager is British that he'll be better. I think there are a lot of very mediocre managers in the English lower leagues who are slowly but surely being eased out. Leeds' manager Steve Evans is a good example of a woeful bloke whose teams don't particularly play nice football but because he's a bit of a Jack the Lad he seems to keep getting work.

It's also interesting watching Rafa versus Allardyce, the classic British fire-fighter practical manager against a man who for years was derided for "not understanding the English game and not playing mind games well enough." Benitez inherited a far more difficult situation and I'd put all my money on him and Newcastle relegating Sunderland.

Lastly, and sometimes I think this is overrated, but he seems to genuinely care for the club. Last week on Charlton Live when LM said Riga apologized after the match and looked devastated, I gained a bit more respect for him. I think we're only just starting to hear the absolute mess he's been working with for the last three months.

He stinks of the Network - don't care if he picks up a few points here or there. He is only here because of Duchataletet & like the rest of that stinking network i will not be happy until he is gone.
    I have to agree to be honest. If you bought the club and decided to go for a good purge he'd be one of the first out the door. But recent noises suggest that RD will still be in charge come August and given that I have no faith whatsoever that they'd find someone better than Riga (last time he was replaced with Peeters, Luzon and Karel bloody Fraeye) it probably makes more sense to stick until our saviour arrives.
  • Oakster said:

SDAddick said:

I like Riga, I think he's a decent coach, and I think he has strong man management skills and Pope, Fox, Cousins, JBG, and Harriott have all improved markedly under him. I'm not convinced that just because a manager is British that he'll be better. I think there are a lot of very mediocre managers in the English lower leagues who are slowly but surely being eased out. Leeds' manager Steve Evans is a good example of a woeful bloke whose teams don't particularly play nice football but because he's a bit of a Jack the Lad he seems to keep getting work.

It's also interesting watching Rafa versus Allardyce, the classic British fire-fighter practical manager against a man who for years was derided for "not understanding the English game and not playing mind games well enough." Benitez inherited a far more difficult situation and I'd put all my money on him and Newcastle relegating Sunderland.

Lastly, and sometimes I think this is overrated, but he seems to genuinely care for the club. Last week on Charlton Live when LM said Riga apologized after the match and looked devastated, I gained a bit more respect for him. I think we're only just starting to hear the absolute mess he's been working with for the last three months.

He stinks of the Network - don't care if he picks up a few points here or there. He is only here because of Duchataletet & like the rest of that stinking network i will not be happy until he is gone.
    So who do you suggest then?.....

• Oakster said:

SDAddick said:

So who do you suggest then?.....

I would be very happy to have Chris Powell back + his previous back room team.

Yes I know this won't happen with Douchebag in place & therefore Riga is the best of a bad bunch - but I simply want Douchebag & his entourage - including Riga - out.

Putting up with Riga just because Douchebag is here is not the way for me. I do accept though some may be happy with this.
  • Just done the maths. 20 points from 19 games under Riga so far. Actually more like 18 (as I don't blame him for the 0-6 at Hull). If he'd been here all season we'd be on 50 points now, above Fulham and Rotherham.

He'd have kept us up.

If Kashi had stayed fit, we'd have stayed up. Maybe not by much....but by enough.
  • edited April 2016
    Fulham have been incredibly lucky to stay up this season. They have a great strike force, but have let it 79 goals, that's 2 more than us, even after all our drubbings!

• se9addick said:

Just done the maths. 20 points from 19 games under Riga so far. Actually more like 18 (as I don't blame him for the 0-6 at Hull). If he'd been here all season we'd be on 50 points now, above Fulham and Rotherham.

He'd have kept us up.

Hmmm...hasn't the gap to safety widened since he was appointed ?

The thing that probably really done for us was Rotherham appointing Warnock (who would have predicted the run they'd go on?) and not beating MK Dons at home, even phsycologically (sp) that would have been so important.
    I think the last point is the most pertinent. It was the middle part when injuries devastated the spine of the team and exposed an inadequate squad. A lot of winnable games were suddenly 3-0 defeats. Riga has done ok in a tough run of games.

Personally not sure many managers could of saved us with the tools those clowns provided. Even Luzon was saying how unbalanced and lacking in depth the squad was, before they told him to shut up.

• We won today but his record second time around has hardly been a revelation. I am afraid he is network, albeit a more personable member of it.