Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Katrien Meire says the club “do not want to build up expectations” as Charlton prepare for League 1

Comments

• Build what exactly?

Some flats in the 'south stand'.
  • 'There are some complications around whether money can be injected as loans or equity'.

Yes in league 1 the loan restrictions are much tighter and equity is required much earlier.

Sell now mate if you don't want to lose a lot more money.
  • They could have us by the bollocks tbh, like it or not. 'IF' we do become promotion contenders next term - RD and KM will feel the "customers" will keep coming. Lets face it, and not only for the more fickle supporter - old habits of enjoying a Saturday afternoon football die hard.
  • The PR machine has gone into overdrive on this one ....
  • Well, my reasonable expectations are that they equip us with a squad and manager that should run away with League 1 next season. If that's the situation by August I'll consider buying our season tickets again.

This is what they owe us after all the f*** ups we've had to endure, and anything less would be a betrayal -- again.

Come on, Roland and Katrien, show us that you've taken responsibility for what you've done, ask our forgiveness, and make full amends.
  • Sponsored links:

• vffvff
    edited April 2016

If she and Roland had any sense at all, instead of selling our best players like Lookman, Kashi, Gudmundson, Bauer, they'd instead be enticing them to stay by improving their contracts and tagging on a big promotion bonus. This would work out cheaper than throwing more money down the drain on hopeless imports like Polish Pete. Our best 11 would be too good for League One.

Its good to dream @queensland_addick. Hoping and dreaming of better days when things look bleak is an essential part of being a Charlton supporter.

Unfortunately, the Lookman relegation clause is there for a reason. I can't see Gudmundsson being happy to play in League One or Duchatelet passing up on an opportunity to maximise the sale following a European Championship appearance. It wouldn't be a surprise to see relegation clauses in a number of contracts. Duchatelet will also be sticking to his mantra of balancing budgets come what may.
  • vff said:

If she and Roland had any sense at all, instead of selling our best players like Lookman, Kashi, Gudmundson, Bauer, they'd instead be enticing them to stay by improving their contracts and tagging on a big promotion bonus. This would work out cheaper than throwing more money down the drain on hopeless imports like Polish Pete. Our best 11 would be too good for League One.

Its good to dream. The Lookman relegation clause is there for a reason. Unfortunately.
    I didn't know about that. Personally I think Lookman would be silly to move on so early in his development. He should take note of what has happened to Poyet.
  • Unfortunately I think any player who can leave Charlton now should do so. There is too large a chance that Duchatelet may still be the owner next season.

No good for anyone.
  • Missed It said:

A successful season for Duchatelet is a balanced budget. Competitive football is not what they are about. It is all about Duchatelet's scheme of a break even football business. Everything is a slave to the budget. Witness Katrien Meire's desperate attempts to offload players mid-season because she can't manage the playing budget properly (despite Duchatelet's sexist assurances that women are better at budgeting!)

Katrien Meire is being disingenuous (yet again!). A top 6 budget in League One is still worse than a bottom 3 budget in the Championship. The multi-millionaire Roland Duchatelet's spending will be even more miserly than before. Its just being measured against the shitty League One benchmark.

The ass-clowns in charge of Charlton are totally unequipped to rebuild what they have destroyed. They are sitting amongst the rubble of our great club, blaming the fans for the everything.

I am expecting a Blackpool style pre-season, resulting in Blackpool-like performances and a Blackpool league position.

Indeed. Was listening to coverage of the Blackpool fan protests today and it made my blood run cold.

They have been relegated to League 2 and have wanted their owner out for seasons now. But he just ignores them and continues to run the club into the ground as they plummet down the leagues.

Got a nasty feeling that will be us this time next year.
    Feel incredibly sorry for Blackpool fans. Oysten is such a bastard. A complete mennance to football.

It sounds strange saying this...but even Roland Duchatelet runs a football club better then that clown.
    I suppose Jose Riga could answer that more clearer having experienced both clubs.
  • So many comments that RDs mantra is to " balance the books". He is not very good at it if he is putting £1M a month into the club.
  • He'll turn us in to a Sunday League team and start charging the players subs to break even eventually
    What a bell , you're in the wrong game
  • edited May 2016
    This woman appears to surround herself with sycophants and eliminates anyone who disagrees with her. A very weak character trait. The level of incompetency can only increase, if that's possible.
    Does Ratty understand what we can see or is she doing just what Ratty tells her to do? Does he micro manage? I can't quite work it out.
  • edited May 2016
    Dave2l said:

Missed It said:

A successful season for Duchatelet is a balanced budget. Competitive football is not what they are about. It is all about Duchatelet's scheme of a break even football business. Everything is a slave to the budget. Witness Katrien Meire's desperate attempts to offload players mid-season because she can't manage the playing budget properly (despite Duchatelet's sexist assurances that women are better at budgeting!)

Katrien Meire is being disingenuous (yet again!). A top 6 budget in League One is still worse than a bottom 3 budget in the Championship. The multi-millionaire Roland Duchatelet's spending will be even more miserly than before. Its just being measured against the shitty League One benchmark.

The ass-clowns in charge of Charlton are totally unequipped to rebuild what they have destroyed. They are sitting amongst the rubble of our great club, blaming the fans for the everything.

I am expecting a Blackpool style pre-season, resulting in Blackpool-like performances and a Blackpool league position.

Indeed. Was listening to coverage of the Blackpool fan protests today and it made my blood run cold.

They have been relegated to League 2 and have wanted their owner out for seasons now. But he just ignores them and continues to run the club into the ground as they plummet down the leagues.

Got a nasty feeling that will be us this time next year.
    Feel incredibly sorry for Blackpool fans. Oysten is such a bastard. A complete mennance to football.

It sounds strange saying this...but even Roland Duchatelet runs a football club better then that clown.
    I suppose Jose Riga could answer that more clearer having experienced both clubs.
    Exactly, and what have the FA or FL done about events at Blackpool? Sweet FA. We MUST follow this and learn from it.

• Sponsored links:

• I tell you what Katrien you dense lump of Belgian shit. You wanna start building ours and your expectations. If you thought the Championship would be a walkover then i think you'll be surprised by our divisiion three.

LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES you thick Belgian twat!!!!

I gather that you are not keen on her Soapy
  • Let's say for instance in jan 2014 Roland douch never purchased the club and Charlton got relegated with Chris Powell still as manager.....in the present day of that scenario, we would still be in a much better position then what we are now that's for sure.
    Even if we was still in league one and still had the same previous owners....

Building around Katriens quote there...I think Charlton are just seriously fucked and it's only going one way.
    Prepare for the worst is my advice and keep in mind, the long term. This is potentially 5-10 years worth of damage.

Still....

What goes up must come down and what goes down must come up.

Will end up like a slightly lesser version of what happened to Wimbledon.

The thing to be picked up on is that RD simply doesn't care. He is rebelling against us too out of frustration that he is not liked.

He does hate the fact that the money he spends on the club is not constantly praised or appreciated.

He thinks he should be considered to be a hero. It makes him angry to the point where he feels he wants to show who's boss and who's in control by doing things or continuing to do things we hate.

If i was a millionaire businessman...I'd only put that kind of money into something I had an emotional attachment to. His motivation for buying us even though he knows it probably won't serve him no credit ...is baffling. Many people buy clubs they are not fans of, but that is because they have a competitive spirit in mind.

Even, as a millionaire businessman, i would get all the advice needed on every level on whether or not the purchase of Charlton athletic, even as a fan, is going to be a good thing for me and a good thing for the club.

RD didn't do his homework because he is a careless arrogant c¥nt that can't even be bothered to get a relatively normal pair of shoes.

• Re-fucking build? We're rebuilding every season! The fact that we have used circa 60* different players in the last 3 seasons infuriates me. We can't constantly rebuild season after season. How are you supposed to support the team you have zero affinity with?

It would be nice if the message was "we have some good players in this squad and we will do everything we can to keep hold of them to increase our chance of returning to the championship at the first time of asking"

Instead it's "don't get your hopes up, we're going to have a crack at rebuilding"

*I don't know this number for fact, but I bet it's not far off!
  • Missed It said:

Exactly and what makes it even more galling, is that he's still losing as much money if not more than Jimenez & Slater. What an arrogant fool.
    That's a tasty fact if true... however I'm not certain it is?
  • edited May 2016
    To be fair - Naby Sarr and Ba may be ok in League One. They may not be too! I will be following the recruitment and sales with interest! They need to get a manager in quick, or decide to keep Riga. It is the manager who needs to be planning, not KM!!!

Powell knew what was needed in our promotion season and got the business done early. They need to learn from that- but I'm not confident they will.