Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

BBQ's- Gas or Coals?

After many years of resisting I switched to gas BBQ's about ten years ago. I think I've had three which have got bigger each time. However I've never been completely satisfied and have always felt a bit of a fraud. Of course gas has it's advantages but as the better weather approaches I am seriously considering going back to good old coals.
I'd be interested to know how others feel on the big gas/coal debate?

Comments

• Options
    Coals
  • Options
    Lump wood charcoal on a weber bbq
  • Options
    I go for coals on our portable Weber BBQ and probably get through ten times the amount of firelighters that you are meant to use. Love it though.

If it's for a party or something with a few folk attending then it's gas all the way.
  • Options
    Coal
  • Options
    Charcoal, it also has the added benefit of adding an element of danger when lighting after a few beers.
  • Options
    Wood, a couple of bricks, a wire rack and no washing up.
  • Options
    Use a chimney starter to light the coals, don't need to use any lighter fluid
  • Options
    Coal gas :wink:
  • Options
    cafcbrown said:

That's the best bit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    gas, just bought a new Outback one for this 'summer' as I managed to set light to the last one
  • Options

cafcbrown said:

That's the best bit.
    Particularly if you manage to get some in the mother in laws pimms.
  • Options
    Charcoal
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I go with coals in this bad boy (fat tongued twat not included)

It truly is a marvellous piece of kit. 3 decent sized BBQ areas or you swap out the middle one for an ice bucket.

• Options
    I always thought the whole point of the BBQ was the smoky taste the coal/wood/charcoal gives your food, or am I wrong?
  • Options
    As others have said, if using gas just stick it in the oven
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    An interesting debate. I've always used briquettes in the UK but might go over to gas next time. I've used gas BBQs in the States and never noticed a reduction in flavour. (I guess you could lob on some hickory shavings if you wanted?)

Here's what Weber, who sell both types, say:

Clare Edwards, Manager, Chef and Head Tutor at the Oxfordshire based Weber® Grill Academy™, gives some food for thought on the subject:

“Charcoal fans prefer the romance and authenticity of the coals and say that you can’t beat the taste of food cooked on a charcoal barbecue. Also it’s a good introduction to BBQ cooking as most charcoal barbecues start at a lower price point and all you need is a bag of briquettes and a light, then you’re all set to cook up a feast.

“Barbecue enthusiasts who choose gas over charcoal often do so for the added control it gives them – the heat is simple to control with the turn of a dial. One touch of a button and your barbecue is fired up and ready to go – the ultimate in barbecue convenience. Gas doesn't mean an oven cooked taste, with a Weber® gas barbecue the unique integrated Flavorizer® bars vaporise fats and juices ensuring a delicious barbecue taste.

“At Weber® we believe there is little or no difference – it is definitely a personal preference and delicious food can be produced on both.”
  • Options
    SIDSID
    edited April 2016
    Changed to a gas BBQ last year (Outback). It is by far the WORST most pointless purchase I have ever made, and that's saying something believe me. I gave a perfectly good Weber away when I got it as well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Charcoal on its own adds no flavour at all and many shop bought easy light charcoals actually give off a tainted smell.

If you have just got friends over, gas all the way.

The only time to not use gas is for food that you are slow cooking for several hours and even then you should not use charcoal but a smoker / hickory wood chips etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    As I understand it, It all depends on the quality of the food you are cremating as to whether you want to taste the food or taste the charcoal...a lot of people tend to also throw a lot of gunk over their food as well to 'improve' the taste and demonstrate what great cooks they are despite the fact that ensembling beans on toast in a kitchen might be a bit of a challenge for them so if you are one of those it probably won't make a blind bit of difference which fuel type you opt for, unless you are also into serving it blackened in which case I believe the gas option might give you a few more years to live over the charcoal option.
  • Options

As I understand it, It all depends on the quality of the food you are cremating as to whether you want to taste the food or taste the charcoal...a lot of people tend to also throw a lot of gunk over their food as well to 'improve' the taste and demonstrate what great cooks they are despite the fact that ensembling beans on toast in a kitchen might be a bit of a challenge for them so if you are one of those it probably won't make a blind bit of difference which fuel type you opt for, unless you are also into serving it blackened in which case I believe the gas option might give you a few more years to live over the charcoal option.

Do I detect a note of cynicism LTGTR?
  • Options
    Lump wood for flavour. Use a chimney to light as it only 25 minutes rather than 60 before you can cook.

Relatives in Massachusetts cook outside most days in the summer and use a gas BBQ as it is instant. They use lump wood to cook when they have guests.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

The notion that coal tastes better or different is a myth. Gas is easier so that's what I go with.

Rubbish. I have a gas and a charcoal BBQ and the gas does not come close. You get cold spots on a gas BBQ as well which might suit some but I prefer an even heat throughout.
  • Options
    Lump wood for me. I tuck myself down the side of the house with a case of Nelson Mandela's waiting for the Webber to reach temperature. Only problem is the Nelson's bring on Tourette's pretty quickly in my case much to the disgust of family and neighbours. Feck em.
  • Options
    TT
    edited April 2016
    Coal lump wood on one of these http://www.barrel-barbecue.co.uk/ smoked texas style brisket over Easter. Incredible

Gas isn't BBQing it's cooking outside.
  • Options
    Coals
  • Options

JiMMy 85 said:

The notion that coal tastes better or different is a myth. Gas is easier so that's what I go with.

Rubbish. I have a gas and a charcoal BBQ and the gas does not come close. You get cold spots on a gas BBQ as well which might suit some but I prefer an even heat throughout.
    Sounds to me like either you suck at cooking, or you've used a shit gas BBQ.