Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

League One 2016/17

With two games of the season left, these are the ten teams who are guaranteed to be playing in League One next season:

Bolton Wanderers
Bury
Charlton Athletic
Coventry City
MK Dons
Northampton Town
Oldham Athletic
Peterborough United
Southend United
Swindon Town

Five other League One teams who will likely be in the division next season include:

Sheffield United
Rochdale
Port Vale
Chesterfield
Shrewsbury Town

There's only one team who will get promoted via the League One playoffs so we'll be facing the remaining five of this group:

Millwall
Walsall
Bradford
Barnsley
Gillingham
Scunthorpe

Promoted alongside Northampton will be two (possibly three including playoffs) of the following four teams:

Accrington Stanley
Oxford United
Bristol Rovers
Plymouth Argyle

In the hunt for the League Two playoffs alongside the above teams are:

Portsmouth
AFC Wimbledon

The 24th and final team will likely be one of Fleetwood Town and Blackpool who are fighting it out over the last remaining relegation spot in League One.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2016
    good post Callum .. BUT you have forgotten about Doncaster .. as at 24/4, only 2 relegation spots are certain. Colchester and Crewe ... 2 from Blackpool, Fleetwood and Doncaster will likely provide the two remaining places ... Shrewsbury and Chesterfield are not yet safe either

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/tables
  • Options
    edited April 2016

good post Callum .. BUT you have forgotten about Doncaster .. as at 24/4, only 2 relegation spots are certain. Colchester and Crewe ... 2 from Blackpool, Fleetwood and Doncaster will likely provide the two remaining places ... Shrewsbury and Chesterfield are not yet safe either

Fair point Lincs. I only didn't include the Shrews and Chesterfield as they are at least four points clear with two to play. Of course it's possible, though I'd say improbable.

It's a list I plan to update as the remaining games are played.
  • Options
    Never seen us play Northampton so that's a new one for me.
  • Options
    I could get to three new clubs - never seen us play at Rochdale, MKS Dons or Accrington Stanley. 7 new stadiums could be visited too.
  • Options
    iaitch said:

Never seen us play Northampton so that's a new one for me.

Pedro45 said:

I could get to three new clubs - never seen us play at Rochdale, MKS Dons or Accrington Stanley. 7 new stadiums could be visited too.

nice to see some positivity on here ((:>)
  • Options
    IAIA
    edited April 2016
    Pedro45 said:

Don't bother with MK Dons. A dump. We've played there 5 times in recent years. One visit was enough for me. Padded seats though.

Rochdale is alright. We got the whole of one side when I went there. I would go again.

Port Vale is the main away game for me. We'll probably go there on a Tuesday night in November now.
  • Options
    I have a feeling Doncaster Rovers are going to stay up and both Fleetwood and Blackpool are going to drop.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2016
    After doing a bit of research I've learned that Fleetwood doesn't have a station within five miles.

Accrington Stanley at home will probably generate the smallest league crowd in Charlton history.

We could have been going to a 50k seater stadium in Newcastle. Does Rochdale even have 50 seats?

What even is a Port Vale?
  • Options

Fair point Lincs. I only didn't include the Shrews and Chesterfield as they are at least four points clear with two to play. Of course it's possible, though I'd say improbable.

It's a list I plan to update as the remaining games are played.
    Burton could get sucked into that play off group
  • Options
    Interesting that from the three relegated clubs last season (Wigan / Millwall / Doncaster)...

None of them may be in League One next season with two sides possibly coming back up whilst Doncaster are going down further.
  • Options
    depressing reading but 2 pluses, roland may fuck off, quite a few new grounds for me.
  • Options

Interesting that from the three relegated clubs last season (Wigan / Millwall / Doncaster)...

None of them may be in League One next season with two sides possibly coming back up whilst Doncaster are going down further.

It was Blackpool, not Doncaster. Doncaster and their pitchforks were relegated in the previous season.

Your point remains.
  • Options
    IA said:

It was Blackpool, not Doncaster. Doncaster and their pitchforks were relegated in the previous season.

Your point remains.
    Oh god of course it was... Dont know why I thought that Wigan finished bottom last season!!
  • Options
    Bury away on a Tuesday night in January probably won't see too many threads from people moaning about ticket allocations and why Valley gold members who never travel away get priority.
  • Options

Bury away on a Tuesday night in January probably won't see too many threads from people moaning about ticket allocations and why Valley gold members who never travel away get priority.

Thank God for Bury away. With Fleetwood potentially being relegated, I was worried that we'd miss out on the chance to get the tram to an away ground. :smile:

Boundary Park is probably my least favourite away ground so far, so it's great that Oldham will be there too.
  • Options
    Good post Callum.

Looking at that list, a half decent squad should surely ensure a top 6 finish. Only problem is by the time Douchbag finishes his sales I suspect we will have a far from a decent squad.
  • Options
    Godstone said:

The best thing about the 2016-17 season is that it isn't the 2015-16 season.

You'd better hope 16/17 isn't the new 15/16 but with twoshits still the owner and smirkface still the CEO, there's a fair chance it could be.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    cafctom said:

After doing a bit of research I've learned that Fleetwood doesn't have a station within five miles.

Accrington Stanley at home will probably generate the smallest league crowd in Charlton history.

We could have been going to a 50k seater stadium in Newcastle. Does Rochdale even have 50 seats?

What even is a Port Vale?

There's a tram from Blackpool to Accrington. More importantly, there's one back to Blackpool.

Port Vale is in Stoke. I was talking to a guy who worked in the potteries, he said some away football supporters game out of the station and, thinking PORT Vale was somewhere on the coast, asked him where the beach was.
  • Options
    IA said:

Pedro45 said:

Don't bother with MK Dons. A dump. We've played there 5 times in recent years. One visit was enough for me. Padded seats though.

Rochdale is alright. We got the whole of one side when I went there. I would go again.

Port Vale is the main away game for me. We'll probably go there on a Tuesday night in November now.
    Don't agree with you about MK Dons mate, there might not be any atmosphere but the stadium is superb with probably the best sound system I have ever heard at a football ground.
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

IA said:

Pedro45 said:

Don't agree with you about MK Dons mate, there might not be any atmosphere but the stadium is superb with probably the best sound system I have ever heard at a football ground.
    For me, it's a soulless dump. I understand that it ticks so many boxes for comfort and facilities (and sound systems), but I don't think I'd consider going back, even for a promotion party. I'd say it's probably up to people to decide for themselves if they like it, but I think that both Bury and Rochdale are far better away days.
  • Options
    Shrewsbury is a decent trip
  • Options
    IA said:

Thank God for Bury away. With Fleetwood potentially being relegated, I was worried that we'd miss out on the chance to get the tram to an away ground. :smile:

Boundary Park is probably my least favourite away ground so far, so it's great that Oldham will be there too.
    Who also have a tram.
  • Options
    Potentially 10 teams in League 1 next season who have played in the Premier League (as in the topflight '92 on wards)

Barnsley
    Blackpool
    Bolton Wanderers
    Bradford
    Charlton Athletic
    Coventry City
    Oldham Athletic
    Portsmouth
    Sheffield United
    Swindon Town

If we can't get the regime change we want, I really hope the Belgian Mafia don't underestimate just how bloody tough it is to get back out of there (going upwards anyway) once you drop in. I rather suspect/fear that they will though.
  • Options
    Got to be Accrington Stanley away, on the August bank holiday weekend. Just for the hell of it!
  • Options

Shrewsbury is a decent trip

Always thought that (and York) shame that new grounds looks soulless. (York are thinking of getting a new ground as well. :tired_face: )
  • Options

IA said:

Who also have a tram.
    Did Oldham have a tram when we played there before?