Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Evans Conviction overturned (ed. signs for Chesterfield)

Comments

• Options
    So they've signed someone about to go on trial for rape (effectively for the "first" time).

Innocent or not, most clubs would steer clear of such a situation (i.e. an impending trial/conviction/etc), and it's thoroughly surprising that Chesterfield have signed him.
  • Options
    If he proves to be an idiot rather than a rapist, he deserves to play at the highest level he can.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

So they've signed someone about to go on trial for rape (effectively for the "first" time).

Innocent or not, most clubs would steer clear of such a situation (i.e. an impending trial/conviction/etc), and it's thoroughly surprising that Chesterfield have signed him.

If he's anywhere near the player he was before the 'incident' he'll be a bargain for Chesterfield .. he's probably desperate to get back and is working for a small(ish) salary .. the Spirites are prepared to take a risk on two fronts 1) That he is indeed the good player he was three years ago, 2) that the retrial goes in Evans' favour .. only time will tell
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Fairly sure there will be some kind of get out clause if he does indeed turn out to be guilty.
  • Options
    Best of luck to him. Conviction overturned so why not. If the appeal fails then I'm sure he'll be unemployed again.
  • Options
    I know this sounds like double standards but I wouldn't, personally, want him playing for us but I would be uncomfortable if he were unable to get a club should he be found not guilty in his upcoming trial.

As for the suggestion that he is of low moral character I suspect that most (certainly many) of the millionaire footballers that have women throw themselves at them all the time are going to struggle to pass the minimum standard that we would want for the boyfriends of our daughters - even though we would probably love their lifestyles.

I wonder what the fall out will be for this as Sheff United, for example, might have come up with us had he been found not guilty at the first trial, they might have even been able to sell him for many millions of pounds. Presumably anyone that has lost money due to a miscarriage of justice is entitled to some compensation?
  • Options
    KHA - whichever way this goes you can hardly say " have women throw themselves at him". That was clearly not the case. Dreadful person and I hope the Spirite fans manage to get their board to see sense.
  • Options
    I live in Chesterfield. I will be going down to my local tonight to watch the England v Slovakia game. It will be interesting to gauge the opinions of Spirites who will be in there.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I live in Chesterfield. I will be going down to my local tonight to watch the England v Slovakia game. It will be interesting to gauge the opinions of Spirites who will be in there.

Had a look on their forum, seemed half and half.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

red_murph said:

red_murph said:

red_murph said:

red_murph said:
    Why ... What happens if he wins his appeal?
    Would you want him playing for Charlton?

If he's innocent and remembers where the goal is then yes!!.

If he was innocent all along then him being put away was the reason Charlton strolled to the title and saw Sheffield United fail to go up so if he still has the fitnees and that knack of knowing where the goal is he'll be one of the best Free Transfers in the League this season
    Fair enough.

Personally no way I could watch a Charlton team with him in the side.
    Why not though...?

I agree with you, if he's guilty of the offence I'd never want to see him in a Charlton shirt but if he's innocent...
    As Mr Largo said above. At best he climbed through a hotel bedroom window to have sex with a woman who had just been with one of his team mates. Salt of the earth.

Anyway, that's me out. Off to buy some popcorn.
    ahhh, Bexleyheath Saturday night. Memories :grimace:
  • Options
    I'm sure he'll get a good reception at away grounds
  • Options

I know this sounds like double standards but I wouldn't, personally, want him playing for us but I would be uncomfortable if he were unable to get a club should he be found not guilty in his upcoming trial.

As for the suggestion that he is of low moral character I suspect that most (certainly many) of the millionaire footballers that have women throw themselves at them all the time are going to struggle to pass the minimum standard that we would want for the boyfriends of our daughters - even though we would probably love their lifestyles.

I wonder what the fall out will be for this as Sheff United, for example, might have come up with us had he been found not guilty at the first trial, they might have even been able to sell him for many millions of pounds. Presumably anyone that has lost money due to a miscarriage of justice is entitled to some compensation?

I would have no problem with him playing for anyone if he is found not guilty in the retrial, just not before then.
  • Options

I would have no problem with him playing for anyone if he is found not guilty in the retrial, just not before then.
    What if he's found not guilty in the criminal courts but his "victim" sues him for damages in the civil courts and wins on "the balance of probabilities"?
  • Options
    edited June 2016

MrLargo said:

Yuk. At least we haven't signed him.

Guilty or not, any bloke who climbs through a hotel window to have it off with someone that one of his mates has just done is probably not the kind of the bloke you want at the Junior Reds Christmas Party.

Agreed. And he had a girlfriend waiting at home too. How many people on here would welcome him into your home if he was with your daughter?

I have always wondered why his girlfriend has stood by him.

• Options

MrLargo said:

Yuk. At least we haven't signed him.

Guilty or not, any bloke who climbs through a hotel window to have it off with someone that one of his mates has just done is probably not the kind of the bloke you want at the Junior Reds Christmas Party.

Agreed. And he had a girlfriend waiting at home too. How many people on here would welcome him into your home if he was with your daughter?

I have always wondered why his girlfriend has stood by him.

This puzzles me too. It's not for money as she's from a very wealthy family. I hate to say it but I guess it must be love? She says that the only thing that Ched is guilty of it cheating on her. But when you think of the way he cheated - so here's a man who loves sloppy seconds, the whole trial and imprisonment, the anger of fans of teams who tried to sign him etc etc and she still stands by him? I can't imagine in a million years standing by someone through all of that.
  • Options
    She's not the first and wont be the last who has stuck by their partner after one has cheated though
  • Options
    I should say at the beginning of this post that I have always believed that he has served his time and should be allowed to play again. However I respect the opinions of those who disagree with me.

Leaving the crime aspect to one side, professional footballers are young men, many of them have vast amounts of money and are seen as glamorous. It is hardly surprising that a fair percentage of them get involved in morally questionable activities and you can be pretty certain that virtually every league club, including ours, contains a few individuals who, or would if given a chance, indulge in what many people might consider dubious sexual activities. I wonder if the people who would protest about Evans playing football again because of his morals would refuse to buy or listen to music from any individual or band that had indulged in such behaviour.

There are at least two ex Charlton players who were fairly well known to be wife beaters and who are regularly described as legends on this forum.

• Options
    There's nothing wrong with dubious sexual activities...with a consenting adult.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'm sure there are plenty of us on here who would fail our own fit and proper person tests to some degree, but it's natural to want your team to be made up of morally sound people, I don't think we should bust ourselves too hard for that. I know I'd feel better about supporting a team of Garry Nelsons than a team of Cheds, even if that meant scoring far fewer goals.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

I'm sure there are plenty of us on here who would fail our own fit and proper person tests to some degree, but it's natural to want your team to be made up of morally sound people, I don't think we should bust ourselves too hard for that. I know I'd feel better about supporting a team of Garry Nelsons than a team of Cheds, even if that meant scoring far fewer goals.

that would make an interesting thread!
  • Options
    This is what confuses me though... Will he go back to prison?

I thought he'd served his sentence and that this appeal in October is a simple attempt to clear his name... Win and no one has the right to call him a rapist ever again (apart from the stands), lose and he's just seen as a rapist and doesnt play Football again.

I didnt think there was an option which would see him return to prison?
  • Options
    Don't you have to admit your guilt to qualify for early parole?
  • Options

This is what confuses me though... Will he go back to prison?

I thought he'd served his sentence and that this appeal in October is a simple attempt to clear his name... Win and no one has the right to call him a rapist ever again (apart from the stands), lose and he's just seen as a rapist and doesnt play Football again.

I didnt think there was an option which would see him return to prison?

You are probably correct, I'm not sure to be honest
  • Options
    Excellent post Chrissy's and pretty much how I feel about the situation. From my understanding of the law it does seem that it is very open to interpretation and there have been numerous cases where innocent people have been found guilty and guilty people have been found innocent. It needs to change. I have no idea how it would be done but clearly there is a problem here.
  • Options

I thought it was just good behaviour?
  • Options

My understanding is that Ched Evans was found guilty of rape on the basis that the girl in question was deemed too intoxicated to give her consent, rather than whether she gave consent or not. That to me is a very grey area. It's never happened to me personally, but I know people who have been on a heavy night out, got shitfaced & woke up in the morning in bed with someone with no recollection of how they got there or what happened. Technically, they're all guilty of rape. Very grey area in my opinion.

There's no suggestion that Ched Evans was drunk.

Ched Evans did not take the woman home. Clayton McDonald did. Evans appeared later.
  • Options

I thought it was just good behaviour?
    Seems to also be a grey area, a quick google suggests it doesn't automatically rule out parole but some people are told to forget it without an admission of guilt.