Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2016
    Quite honest, but I fear (relegation aside) he may be too honest. He's a goner.
  • Options
    I like Riga but he is not the man to get us out of League 1........we've had our fair share of jonny foreigner & now need a British manager, ideally one with experience of League one
  • Options
    charming bloke but I feel that he probably shouldn't get the job for next season, as soon as this season is over get in an experienced manager used to the lower leagues and has a solid record and give him a whole pre-season with whoever he wants

obviously that probably wont happen, and its difficult to actually get that even if you try
  • Options
    It sounds like Jose Riga is on the way out. There seems to be a tacit recognition of the fact that the existence of an 18 month contract is largely irrelevant - certainly with this regime - and I can't see him obtaining any meaningful assurances from Roland regarding next season. I also wonder if Jose really has the stomach for what awaits us next season. I somehow doubt it.

Oakster's points stats make grim reading and emphasise the size of the task ahead. Whilst pre-season in July will come around very quickly, our only real hope of progress is if the ownership of the club changes in the very near future. While Duchâtelet remains, we simply won't attract the right calibre of manager and personnel (football and non-football) and, even if by some miracle we managed to do so - notwithstanding our atrocious reputation in the industry - the prospects of them succeeding under present conditions are minimal.
  • Options
    The whole Belgian thing leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I do think Riga is a decent guy but we need to shake off this disease and move back to something home-grown; both in terms of ownership and team management. That is the culture and mentality of Charlton. Fact.
  • Options
    Goodbye Jose don't come back.

Enjoy your next job with your master.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Riga is toast. To public ask for any assurances publicly in however nuanced a way he does is a red rag to a bull for Duchatelet. That is one of Duchatelet's red lines. He is the owner and expects his employees to toe the line and employee his strategy. If the strategy fails, it is the employee / head coach's fault not the strategy.

Riga knows that as that what didn't get him the job after assisting to keep Charlton up the last time and the job was given to Bob Peeters. Riga is looking to get his full contract paid up.
  • Options

Dowie was British, Pardew was British, Craggs, Mullery, the list of useless British Charlton managers is quite long. We cannot continue down this route of sacking managers every six months. Riga's points tally has not been great, but he walked into a train wreck of a club, fractured at every level, no leadership anywhere. He has worked wonders with some players, just look at Pope in recent games, Fox was a nervous wreck before Riga, Harriot has been a consistent threat, Taxiera, Fanni, Bergitch, I cannot think of a single player who has lost form under Riga. I don't count Poyet because he arrived out out of form.
    Players seem to like and respect him and have shown that they can more than hold their own against some of the top teams in the Championship, unfortunately Riga arrived 10 games too late.
    Warnock has performed the kind of miracle that we needed here, but the set up at Rotherham was totally different to here and I doubt if Warnock would have tolerated more than a few weeks working under these clowns.
    I like Riga and hope that he stays, but under new ownership.

Under new ownership Riga will not be allowed to clean the toilets let alone manager this football club.
  • Options

Dowie was British, Pardew was British, Craggs, Mullery, the list of useless British Charlton managers is quite long. We cannot continue down this route of sacking managers every six months. Riga's points tally has not been great, but he walked into a train wreck of a club, fractured at every level, no leadership anywhere. He has worked wonders with some players, just look at Pope in recent games, Fox was a nervous wreck before Riga, Harriot has been a consistent threat, Taxiera, Fanni, Bergitch, I cannot think of a single player who has lost form under Riga. I don't count Poyet because he arrived out out of form.
    Players seem to like and respect him and have shown that they can more than hold their own against some of the top teams in the Championship, unfortunately Riga arrived 10 games too late.
    Warnock has performed the kind of miracle that we needed here, but the set up at Rotherham was totally different to here and I doubt if Warnock would have tolerated more than a few weeks working under these clowns.

I think thats all a bit irrelevent Martin, they will sack him regardless of what we think. Dead man walking springs to mind.
  • Options
    If we list the things we dont like about this regime one of them is that they keep changing the manager.So why does anyone think that changing the manager now is a good thing .It doesnt make sense.
  • Options
    We do need someone who understands that L1 is a very different animal.
  • Options
    Saturday Tuesday Saturday. No international breaks... L1 is a very different kettle of fish again

i can't help but feel that they'll get it wrong again
  • Options
    Who would this british manager be? Why would he want to work here? All someone would do is ask the last British manager what it was like working for RD.

Only thing is we get another foreign manager with experience and who knows little of our plight. Either that or keep Riga.
  • Options
    We all know its going to be the Serbian next.

Roland wanted him, KM didnt and argued for Riga which means that Roland will blame relegation on the fact he wasnt listened to and that he's now going to have to sort out the mess!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The problem Riga or any incoming manager will have is, players coming and goods players leaving are relatively easy to sort out. Its the players on nice long contracts that are not up to job who should be dumped will be the problem.
  • Options

Warnock has performed the kind of miracle that we needed here, but the set up at Rotherham was totally different to here and I doubt if Warnock would have tolerated more than a few minutes working under these clowns.

Fixed it.
  • Options
    Nice bloke. Network stooge like the rest. He can do one with the rest
  • Options

Roland wanted him, KM didnt and argued for Riga which means that Roland will blame relegation on the fact he wasnt listened to and that he's now going to have to sort out the mess!!

My thoughts also with Riga being shipped to Ujpest to see out the remaining 12 months of his contract. Network wankers!
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    The standard of journalism these days
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    I don't think that Riga is good enough (at least the players seem to be playing for him) but we do need consistency whoever be the owner.

Justin Edinburgh seem a good idea but anyone is a gamble and someone said he was PardewBigNose the Second.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

I don't think that Riga is good enough (at least the players seem to be playing for him) but we do need consistency whoever be the owner.

Justin Edinburgh seem a good idea but anyone is a gamble and someone said he was PardewBigNose the Second.

He's under Contract @ Gillingham though and do you seriously see Penfold letting us talk to him

(thats if he's allowed to take time out from being Dangermouse's sidekick!!)
  • Options

I suspect you're going to be right.

I said at the time of Riga's appointment that he was the best of the coaching pool that we would be fishing in, basically Roland's speed dial list, but I wasn't convinced he was the man for the job in front of us. RD/KM have shown zero indication they learn from past cock ups and I am 90% sure, if they are still here, in August we will the Serbian bloke in the dug out.

Rinsing & repeating our way down the leagues...
  • Options
    T said:

Saturday Tuesday Saturday. No international breaks... L1 is a very different kettle of fish again

i can't help but feel that they'll get it wrong again

We could still end up with an international break if about 3 players are called up from us or the others.