Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Congratulations Ademola Lookman

Comments

• Tbh IF we sold him for £10M and IF we spent £5M on 5 or more really decent players at L1 level, I'd be very happy.

Do you trust Slade to spend that money though? More aging lower league journeymen I fear...
  • KM has stated that he will not be sold in January.

£15 mil may change her mind. Clubs will be scared they miss out on the next star so a bidding war could well develop. We should run it like ebay. Buy it now £15mil or put an offer in and cross your fingers.

• Ademola lookman will not be sold in January because Katrien Meire has pressure confirmed that to be the case.

I do not even know why this is still being discussed.

In January, you'll understand why I don't attend FF meetings, @Alwaysneil .....

:neutral:

• Indeed. Despite the typo of pressure rather than previously as was intended, tongue firmly in cheek for that post.

Once again should have maybe added an emoji

:p
  • Ademola lookman will not be sold in January because Katrien Meire has pressure confirmed that to be the case.

I do not even know why this is still being discussed.

In January, you'll understand why I don't attend FF meetings, @Alwaysneil .....

:neutral:

And the reason being is........

Your public awaits.
  • SDAddick said:

Tbh IF we sold him for £10M and IF we spent £5M on 5 or more really decent players at L1 level, I'd be very happy.

Do you trust Slade to spend that money though? More aging lower league journeymen I fear...
    Darren Purse is still playing, we used to be linked with him every season, maybe now's the time to go get him especially as we could do with a couple more centre backs when Slade goes 6-3-1 away from home.
  • edited November 2016
    To be honest, if you want to get good money for a player it is best not to want to sell him. That is how you get silly money to persuade you. If we got silly money for Lookman early in the window and we strengthen, I would accept that;
  • most clubs will always sell a player if the fee is high enough, just as those of us that own a house would sell that if someone offered us a disproportionate amount of money.
  • Lookman is the last real saleable asset Roland can move on for big money. And you can almost guarantee we won't replace him adequately.
  • Sponsored links:

• I believe that the reason for not selling Lookman in August was because they feel that if he scores a few goals and shows what he can do more Clubs will be looking at him. I know that Everton, Southampton, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd, Liverpool are just some of the Clubs who are interested. Konsa is also being looked at by a number of Clubs.
  • He started against South Korea which we lost 2-1
  • Buying decent established players in January is usually expensive. Not talking Lookie here who will be bought for his potential. What I am saying is that to be buy a league winning team that would have to be done in the summer. In fact early in the summer as happened under CP.
    If the money is reinvested prperly selling isn't a problem. Selling Lee helped us rebuild the vally, selling Bowyer helped us invest towards getting in the Preier League and selling Jenkinson helped us getting of League 1 last time.
    The questions are how much of it will be reinvested and how wisely will it be spent.
    The nightmare is that Lookie and Konsa are sold for decent money and then Roly thinks he can make a lot of money by selling youngsters and hangs around for longer.
  • dickplumb said:

I believe that the reason for not selling Lookman in August was because they feel that if he scores a few goals and shows what he can do more Clubs will be looking at him. I know that Everton, Southampton, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd, Liverpool are just some of the Clubs who are interested. Konsa is also being looked at by a number of Clubs.

Can't blame clubs for being interested in a good young English player but there would be absolutely no point whatsoever in him going to City, Arsenal, Man U or Liverpool given the attacking players they already have. Obviously he will earn a lot more money but he would do that at any premier league club. Much better for him to go to Southampton, Bournemouth, Burnley, Stoke etc where he might actually play and can build up his reputation.
  • dickplumb said:

I believe that the reason for not selling Lookman in August was because they feel that if he scores a few goals and shows what he can do more Clubs will be looking at him. I know that Everton, Southampton, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd, Liverpool are just some of the Clubs who are interested. Konsa is also being looked at by a number of Clubs.

Can't blame clubs for being interested in a good young English player but there would be absolutely no point whatsoever in him going to City, Arsenal, Man U or Liverpool given the attacking players they already have. Obviously he will earn a lot more money but he would do that at any premier league club. Much better for him to go to Southampton, Bournemouth, Burnley, Stoke etc where he might actually play and can build up his reputation.
    I agree, but if a Club like Man Utd or Liverpool came in for you what would you do?
  • dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

I agree, but if a Club like Man Utd or Liverpool came in for you what would you do?
    I would probably sign for them but as i am 61 i may of missed me chance
    I gather they have a pool table in the games room.
  • dickplumb said:

dickplumb said:

I would probably sign for them but as i am 61 i may of missed me chance
    You could always play for Charlton, it is called walking football :smiley:
  • most clubs will always sell a player if the fee is high enough, just as those of us that own a house would sell that if someone offered us a disproportionate amount of money.

Is that why you're moving?!
  • edited November 2016

dickplumb said:

I imagine Lookman spoke to the other young players in the U18 squads, the majority of which are with top PL clubs, but either out on loan or nowhere near the first team

From his point of view, he'll want the better coaching and facilities (and money) the top clubs can provide, but then he also wants game time. After being a first team regular for a year, could he cope with going back to U18/U23 football?
  • Sponsored links:

• To be honest, if you want to get good money for a player it is best not to want to sell him. That is how you get silly money to persuade you. If we got silly money for Lookman early in the window and we strengthen, I would accept that;

When have we ever got silly money for a player? Ever?
  • Do you mean big silly money for a player? Rarely, Darren Bent maybe.

Selling for little silly money, quite often especially under this regime.
  • drewman said:

To be honest, if you want to get good money for a player it is best not to want to sell him. That is how you get silly money to persuade you. If we got silly money for Lookman early in the window and we strengthen, I would accept that;

When have we ever got silly money for a player? Ever?

We got £80,000, which was a record at the time for a winger, when we sold Len Glover in 1967 which I would describe as 'value' rather than silly money but my username might suggest a little bias!

In general we seem to have undervalued our players during the 53 years I've supported the Club.
  • Was £10m for Scott Parker though an undervalued sale?

That same January Jose Antonio Reyes went from Sevilla to Arsenal for £12.5m whilst Louis Saha went from Fulham to Man Utd for the same amount, whilst the following Summer: Xabi Alonso joined Liverpool for £10.5m and Michael Owen joined Real Madrid for £12m
  • Yeah at the time 10m for Parker was a huge amount of money. 16.5m for Bent was about value, Henry went from Arsenal to Barcelona for similar money in the same window.

Bale for 5m turned out to be an absolute steal didn't it?
  • When Lookman is sold, we won't get more than £2.5m for him.
  • sam3110 said:

Yeah at the time 10m for Parker was a huge amount of money. 16.5m for Bent was about value, Henry went from Arsenal to Barcelona for similar money in the same window.

Bale for 5m turned out to be an absolute steal didn't it?

Especially when you compare the two big names from Southampton:

Walcott (17) went to Arsenal for £5m rising to £12m whilst Bale (18) joined Spurs only a year later for £5m rising to £10m (although Southampton agreed to an early settlement figure of £7m due to financial difficulties.
  • Redrobo said:

KM has stated that he will not be sold in January.

So it's bound to happen.
  • dickplumb said:

I imagine Lookman spoke to the other young players in the U18 squads, the majority of which are with top PL clubs, but either out on loan or nowhere near the first team

From his point of view, he'll want the better coaching and facilities (and money) the top clubs can provide, but then he also wants game time. After being a first team regular for a year, could he cope with going back to U18/U23 football?
    I reckon he'll suffer it for another 20k a week.
  • MrOneLung said:

When Lookman is sold, we won't get more than £2.5m for him.

You will never know......................................undisclosed!!!