Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Appeal for help re ground from AFC Wimbledon

I have a good friend who has supported Wimbledon (the original) through thick and thin. They have plans to move back to Plough Lane, but are facing some political/ Boris issues.

They would be grateful for any help - this is a message from the CEO:

New stadium planning decision: club urgently needs your support

Today the club launches a new stage in our campaign to return home to a new stadium in Wimbledon after years in exile.

And your support, as ever, is vital. What we need you to do is very simple and can be completed in a matter of seconds. Full details are set out below.
But first, here’s some brief background information so you can understand why your involvement in the campaign is so important.
Our planning application will be determined by whichever candidate is successful in the election for a new London Mayor on 5 May. This follows a decision by the out-going Mayor, Boris Johnson, to ‘call-in’ our planning application for further scrutiny, despite our proposals receiving unanimous approval from the local planning authority, Merton Council, and the support of the GLA planning staff.

Forecasting the outcome of an election is a risky business, of course, but it seems almost certain that the current Mayor will be succeeded by one of the two front-runners in the election campaign – Sadiq Khan, the Labour candidate, or Zac Goldsmith for the Conservatives. Mr Johnson will almost certainly play no further role in the decision; it will be taken by his successor.
Whilst we are fully confident that our planning application will eventually get the go-ahead, it is vital that the new mayor also understands that the stadium plans are very popular with the public.

What we want you to do

Please send separate e-mails, one to Sadiq Khan and another to Zac Goldsmith, simply saying: “Please support AFC Wimbledon’s plans for a new stadium in Plough Lane”. And add your name and your residential address.
You don’t need to explain the benefits that the stadium and adjoining development will bring to the area, as these are fully explained in our planning application. Also, once the new Mayor is elected he will hold a further consultation. This may well be restricted to people near the site so sending an email now is your chance to have your voice heard.
What your e-mail, together with thousands of others, will highlight is that public opinion wants the mayor’s approval of our plans.
Please send your e-mail as soon as possible and certainly well ahead of the vote on 5 May.

The candidates’ e-mail addresses are:
sadiqkhan@sadiqkhan.org.uk
zac@backzac2016.com

Obviously, if you live in Greater London and can vote in the Mayoral election your e-mail will be particularly important. Please also encourage friends, family and colleagues living throughout the capital to e-mail the candidates with the same wording of support, no matter whether they are Wimbledon fans or not. Even if you live outside London, it is still worthwhile participating.
While the candidates themselves won’t actually read your e-mail, their campaign staff will keep them informed about issues the public are concerned about. But please don’t expect a reply to your e-mail as they will be too busy to respond.

What we don’t want you to do

• Please don’t send more than one e-mail in the hope that this will demonstrate greater support. Duplicates will be weeded out and will undermine the credibility of our campaign.
• Don’t be critical of the current Mayor, or anyone else, for calling-in the application. The Mayor is perfectly within his rights to do so. We are at a new stage in our campaign and need to move on. Abusing the Mayor or the candidates would be counter-productive.
And, as always, thank you for your continued support!
If you have any questions, please contact erik.samuelson@afcwimbledon.ltd.uk .

Read more at http://www.afcwimbledon.co.uk/news/article/an-appeal-from-the-ceo-3047912.aspx#DlyqtdaUS1CE5llx.99

Comments

• Options

Nah, would rather keep Plough Lane for Greyhounds, Bangers & maybe Speedway

Was this economically viable?
  • Options

What have Wimbledon done to Kingstonian?
  • Options

Didnt Kingstonian take Wimbledon in and allow them to groundshare with them when no one else would?
  • Options

Didnt Kingstonian take Wimbledon in and allow them to groundshare with them when no one else would?
    Correct, and then shafted them a few years later once they got their feet under the table at Kingsmeadow and have now left Kingstonian homeless.
  • Options

Surely if Kingstonian are homeless it is the fault of their board for selling the ground?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Correct, and then shafted them a few years later once they got their feet under the table at Kingsmeadow and have now left Kingstonian homeless.
    I've heard this repeated a lot - how exactly did Wimbledon shaft Kingstonian?

I'm not saying it didn't happen, I'm just unclear if how it did.
  • Options
    What utter pricks!!... Sorry but all for helping clubs out in terms of having their own home but not if your history involves doing things like that... AFC Wimbledon have lost a lot of respect from me for doing that
  • Options
    jeeeez.... rambled on about this mob before... horrible club, horrible fans (most of them)... they basically took over Kingstonian's ground and forced them out..
    As for the 'we don't belong here..' if it was just that, it would be only be annoying. However, they seemed to turn up at most grounds, caused copious amounts of trouble and damage, blame everybody else but themselves (the Millwall of non-league). They then seemed to think that FA rules didn't apply to them (fielding ineligible players), and when they were caught out started on line-petitions to the Government about conspiracy theories to stop them getting promoted....
    Loads of details out there about these despicable tosspots....
  • Options

jeeeez.... rambled on about this mob before... horrible club, horrible fans (most of them)... they basically took over Kingstonian's ground and forced them out..
    As for the 'we don't belong here..' if it was just that, it would be only be annoying. However, they seemed to turn up at most grounds, caused copious amounts of trouble and damage, blame everybody else but themselves (the Millwall of non-league). They then seemed to think that FA rules didn't apply to them (fielding ineligible players), and when they were caught out started on line-petitions to the Government about conspiracy theories to stop them getting promoted....
    Loads of details out there about these despicable tosspots....

"basically took over Kingstonian's ground and forced them out"

Again - how did this happen ?
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    se9addick said:

"basically took over Kingstonian's ground and forced them out"

Again - how did this happen ?

They groundshared with Kingstonian in the early days, then bought Kingsmeadow off Rajesh Khosla, who bought both Ks and the ground when the club was in administration.

Now the Dons are planning to sell Kingsmeadow to Chelsea, who want to use it for their women's team, and there's no place for Kingstonian in this.

Kingstonian's board has accepted a large sum of money from AFC Wimbledon and are looking to build a new ground in Chessington.

This - and other posts on the same blog - is useful in understanding it from Ks fans' point of view (if not the club's board): https://thekingstonroadend.wordpress.com/2015/11/18/the-sale-of-kingsmeadow-by-afc-wimbledon-to-chelsea-fc-what-might-it-mean/

edit: this more recent post is also useful https://thekingstonroadend.wordpress.com/2016/03/09/chessington-world-of-misadventures-a-kingsmeadow-update/
  • Options
    Dartford drew them in, I believe, the FA Trophy, a few years back. At the time, Dartford were homeless, peniless and groundsharing with Ebbsfleet, so the draw was great, as Wimbledon took a lot of away fans to swell the coffers. As I heard it, Wimbledon FC got in contact with Dartford before the match to offer their own stewards to oversee their fans (at no extra cost) and to make sure everything went okay. The result was Dartford made some very welcome money, took Wimbledon to a replay, which the wombles won, and the Wimbledon fans were very appreciative of their treatment by Dartford (obviously with the help of Wimbledon) and the atmousphere at both games. It may have been a one off, and Wimbledon may have done bad stuff, but the one time a club I follow had contact with them, the club officials werer very helpfull, and the fans didn't misbehave. Sometimes, there are other sides of the story, and hey, a lot of clubs have idiots hidden in the ranks.

• Options
    Always caused problems at Maidstone but they're not alone in that. Certinally had that big boy bully vibe about them at that time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    We go to Wimbledon dogs a few times a year and as it's the only dog track left in London, I'd be more than happy for it to stay. However, the lease expires this July and the last planned meetings are in June, so I'm on the fence.
  • Options
    I approve of their photo campaign for this......

• Options

I approve of their photo campaign for this......

Is that their CEO?
  • Options
    Horrible little football club, created by "fans" of a club moved from its traditional home. Remember: we didn't ditch Charlton when the club was forcibly moved away from The Valley and set up a new version of the club.

This "version" of Wimbledon has never played home games in Plough Lane. I have no intention of supporting them in this effort.
  • Options
    Wimbledon home of the Greyhound Derby, the only greyhound track left in London. Run down by the GRA so they could profiteer. There is an alternative proposal to the Wimbledon FC plan, that keeps the greyhound stadium. I personally will be supporting that.
  • Options
    Chizz said:

Horrible little football club, created by "fans" of a club moved from its traditional home. Remember: we didn't ditch Charlton when the club was forcibly moved away from The Valley and set up a new version of the club.

This "version" of Wimbledon has never played home games in Plough Lane. I have no intention of supporting them in this effort.

Are you serious?
  • Options

We go to Wimbledon dogs a few times a year and as it's the only dog track left in London, I'd be more than happy for it to stay. However, the lease expires this July and the last planned meetings are in June, so I'm on the fence.

Crayford is in London as is Romford.... ;)