Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pronunciation rant

Got to get this off my chest:

It's not anthony "Kinocaert". It's Nockaert
It's not the "peninsular". It's peninsula
It's not "Belgiums" it's Belgians
It's not "Jessicar Rennis". It's Jessica Ennis
Etc

Drives me mental

Sorry. Rant over.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2016

Etc

Drives me mental

Sorry. Rant over.

It can be Peninsular. As in Peninsular War 1807 - 1814

• Options
    edited April 2016

It can be Peninsular. As in Peninsular War 1807 - 1914

Indeed. But not in the context it's been used on here
  • Options
    Surely this should be in the General Things That Annoy You thread?
  • Options
    I've never heard anyone say Jessica Rennis
  • Options

Sue Barker does it all the time as does Barry Davies.
  • Options
    Jesus I'd hate to be the one to ask you whether it should be pronounced tomato or tomateo, scone or sgone ;)
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

Jesus I'd hate to be the one to ask you whether it should be pronounced tomato or tomateo, scone or sgone ;)

The traditional debate is whether it's pronounced "tomayto" or "tomarto". I dread to think what kind of low-life, gutter-dwelling subhuman scum would call it a "tomateo". Truly sickening.
    Look 'ere!!... Its not easy to try to spell something the way you'd pronounce it.

Tomayto / Tomateo... Whats the difference when you try to say them!! ;)
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2016
    It's not Kat-re-en Merry either.
    It's Katrien (rhymes with latrine)
    My-re (imagine mire as two syllables and pronouncing the "r")
  • Options

MrLargo said:

The traditional debate is whether it's pronounced "tomayto" or "tomarto". I dread to think what kind of low-life, gutter-dwelling subhuman scum would call it a "tomateo". Truly sickening.

I see where you're coming from now. I was reading "tomateo" as "tom-at-eo". Anyway, it's wrong either way, it's "tomarto" if you're remotely civilised.
  • Options
    MrLargo said:

MrLargo said:

I see where you're coming from now. I was reading "tomateo" as "tom-at-eo". Anyway, it's wrong either way, it's "tomarto" if you're remotely civilised.
    And if your remotely common its... Toma..o
  • Options
    Piggybacking this to say; the lack of respect Americans show to the letter 'U' drives me crazy. Stoopid. Call of Dooty. etc.

They rhyme words in songs that don't rhyme, that's the worst part of it.
  • Options

Etc

Drives me mental

Sorry. Rant over.

It's actually Knockaert :wink:
  • Options
    Nike being pronounced "Nikey".
    This morning I heard "Egg-sit" for Exit.
  • Options
    To be fair, it took us several seasons to pronounce Mark Kinsella's name correctly! (emphasis on the "Kin", rather than the "Sella")
  • Options
    Sorry to break this to you Micky, but the guy who founded Nike says it's pronounced Nikey, as in, to rhyme with Micky.
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Sorry to break this to you Micky, but the guy who founded Nike says it's pronounced Nikey, as in, to rhyme with Micky.

Shouldn't that be Nikey rhyming with Mikey :smile:
  • Options
    JiMMy 85 said:

Trouble is he only seemed to correct everybody about 25 years later. Old boys like me got used to the old pronunciation! A bit like Kim Bassinger later becoming Kim "Bay-singer".
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I remember correctly, I've heard native speakers pronounce 'an idea of' like 'an idear of', as if there was a letter 'r' at the end of the word 'idea'.

And a similar case. I'm a fan of Depeche Mode and Dave Gahan, their frontman released a solo song named 'Saw Something' a few years ago. There's a line 'I saw it' which he sings like 'I saw rit'. Why? The word saw doesn't end with r but w. I always find it quite strange.
  • Options

It's actually the same case as the ones I mentioned above, right? An imaginary letter 'r' added to the end of a word which subsequently affects the pronunciation of the next word? Am I right?
  • Options
    You say potatoe I say potarto...

Let's call the whole thing off.
  • Options
    My wife drives me nuts with her 'sumfink' and 'nuffink'. She's not even 'common' and speaks quite well generally.
  • Options

It's actually the same case as the ones I mentioned above, right? An imaginary letter 'r' added to the end of a word which subsequently affects the pronunciation of the next word? Am I right?
    You got it Jessie. That's precisely what I'm on about.
  • Options
    Can't think why none of you have asked Mandy Anderson-Myers opinion on matters of pronunciation. She has a way with words and must have plenty of time on her hands at the moment, so would probably welcome enquiries.
  • Options
    edited April 2016

Etc

Drives me mental

Sorry. Rant over.

I think you'll find there's a Belgium in this universe and one in another, parallel, universe, so that's two Belgiums.
  • Options

MrLargo said:

Look 'ere!!... Its not easy to try to spell something the way you'd pronounce it.

Tomateo sounds like something The Chuckle Brothers would say.