Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Blogging

Does anyone here on CL blog/write for their own website?

I decided to make my own music blogging website the other week and I was just curious if anyone else gets a kick out of it themselves as a hobby or even as a job.

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2016
    I do, or I'm trying to get in the habit it at least. I generally go through a few months of activity - and then get bogged down with work and other things leaving the blog neglected.

I have my own website with a blog attached, I use it primarily for writing about work related topics. Unfortunately I have the same issue blogging as I do on twitter: I doubt anybody will ever really follow me because I simply like to write and talk about different topics - be they Charlton, electronics, photography or my actual day job subjects. I don't have any particularly unique insights either, and I'm not the worlds best writer - but it's something I'd definitely like to work on.

Alas, now I'm breaking away and going it "solo" - I have a company website where I'll probably focus most of my work based writing, leaving my personal one for hobby posts - and the odd take on current affairs. I'll probably post any "decent" posts on Mediun, and use that to drive some added traffic to my personal site. Similarly, work related posts I'll probably publicise a bit on twitter and some reddit communities (/r/programming /r/infosec etc) and use to drive traffic to the business site.
  • Options
    I used to do a Charlton blog quite some time back, but stopped as I never managed to allocate sufficient time to provide updates.

I have a website for my business and publish blogs regularly because it generates a lot of interest which can lead to more business ...plus I actually enjoy writing the blogs.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Ask Cardinal Sin he does a very good blog
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    Just to shamelessly promote myself, I've recently published two new posts on Medium about fear - specifically relating to publicly sharing my writing, and deciding to leave full time employment to start my own consultancy. As you can probably tell from the first post, I absolutely hate my writing style so I'm trying to force myself in to sharing the post a bit to get over that particular issue!

To be quite honest, even deciding where to post is a huge pain in the ass. Medium is a lovely site to write on, but it feels like you're giving up ownership of your content. So I think I'll probably just post random things on there to be honest, with work-related content elsewhere. I do have a Charlton post coming up later on though..
  • Options
    I write a blog on WW2 related stuff in connection with my business. As well as being a stand alone blog, it is also embedded in the company's website. I try and update at least once a month and that way it keeps the website fresh as well. Been doing it since April 2010 now and although it can be a bit of a mission, it is quite theraputic and does draw in business and interest in what we do. http://blitzwalkers.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Options
    My old step dad runs this: http://algordoncafc.blogspot.co.uk/ can be interesting at times :wink:
  • Options
    Does anyone know how to get adverts running on your own websites? I'm guessing that means buying a URL address!