Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

QPR fine for breaching financial fair play

Whatever happened about that £50 million fine that QPR incurred for breaching the financial fair play rules 2 years ago when they got promoted ?.

Comments

• Options
    Is this FFP thing of any use? Does it work? At all? Or has it worked? Ever?
  • Options
    No, it's a joke and they are trying to sweep it under the carpet.
  • Options
    Just sent the Football League this email. I'll report if they respond.

"Subject: QPR Financial Fair Play

Hi

Have QPR paid their fine yet?

If not, why not? And what has the Football League done about it?

Kind Regards

cafcfan"
  • Options
    vffvff
    edited April 2016
    The FFP fine thing was always going to be kicked / finessed into the long grass. Apart from transfer embargos, what did it acheive ? Leicester got promoted with something like 125% wages to turnover ratio. Even the transfer embargos are not up to much which Vincent Tan easily got around at Cardiff by getting his club he owns in Belgium to buy the player and then loan him to Cardiff. All this legit apparently.

Duchatelet is such a genius that he could not see this coming ?
  • Options
    And our pathetic little owner thought FFP was the golden ticket to the model club he wanted to build. A year of experience in watching the Championship would have told him that FFP is useless and doesn't achieve anything.
  • Options
    edited April 2016
    cafcfan said:

Well, got my reply. Here it is in all its glory:

Thank you for your email.

At present we can’t issue any comment relating to QPR as discussions between all parties are still ongoing. Further information will be released in due course.

You would say "unbelieveable", but of course it's anything but.

Can anyone imagine, someone being convicted in a court & then negotiating their punishment in due course, over a period of months or even longer.

Absolutely ridiculous, but of course as hardly any Championship clubs want FFP, they are not likely to be making a fuss anytime soon.
  • Options
    cafcfan said:

Well, got my reply. Here it is in all its glory:

Thank you for your email.

At present we can’t issue any comment relating to QPR as discussions between all parties are still ongoing. Further information will be released in due course.

Kind regards

FL customer relations team
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    colin1961 said:

There are a lot of championship teams that are on the verge of going bust . I can see at least two major clubs going to the wall before Xmas .. But will that be a warning ???

Spanners eyeing a couple of lucrative League cup ties?
  • Options
    Ben18 said:

colin1961 said:

There are a lot of championship teams that are on the verge of going bust . I can see at least two major clubs going to the wall before Xmas .. But will that be a warning ???

Spanners eyeing a couple of lucrative League cup ties?
    Oi Colin is right at this rate these Muppets will have killed our club by the end of the year.
  • Options
    The FFP rules were and remain fundamentally flawed.

The initial rules favoured those who had ploughed money in before the rules came into force (chelski) and was overly punitive on new money.

The new rules relax this as I understand it, but maybe too much.

• Options
    edited April 2016
    colin1961 said:

Richard Murray has been spouting the same crap for 20 years.

Are Charlton one of the two ?
  • Options

colin1961 said:

Is Colin Richard Murray ?
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I can't knock Roland for trying for FFP because the way football is run in England is completely unsustainable. Not having a back-up plan and not adapting to the situation when it became clear that it was not going to carry the clout it could/should have is where I would fault him.

The fact that clubs like QPR, Leicester, Bournemouth, Hull, etc. have so much money and clout that the Football League can't regulate its own competition is ridiculous. It should be added that the fact that the FA seems to have no real interest in protecting their historic and cultural institutions is also absolute insanity.

To be fair,

(1) the clubs were pressurised by the Premier League into voting to water down FFP. Scudamore and co. derail a lot of the FL's good intentions.

(2) the FL still hasn't approved Leicester's accounts from their promotion season, although it's too late to make much difference now. Guardian reported on it today ("Leicester City and the strange finances behind their rise to the Premier League pinnacle" http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/11/leicester-city-finances-football-league-financial-fair-play-investigation).
  • Options
    Maybe QPR will not agree the settlement and get relegated saving whatever team finish 3rd bottom !
  • Options

SDAddick said:

I can't knock Roland for trying for FFP because the way football is run in England is completely unsustainable. Not having a back-up plan and not adapting to the situation when it became clear that it was not going to carry the clout it could/should have is where I would fault him.

The fact that clubs like QPR, Leicester, Bournemouth, Hull, etc. have so much money and clout that the Football League can't regulate its own competition is ridiculous. It should be added that the fact that the FA seems to have no real interest in protecting their historic and cultural institutions is also absolute insanity.

To be fair,

(1) the clubs were pressurised by the Premier League into voting to water down FFP. Scudamore and co. derail a lot of the FL's good intentions.

(2) the FL still hasn't approved Leicester's accounts from their promotion season, although it's too late to make much difference now. Guardian reported on it today ("Leicester City and the strange finances behind their rise to the Premier League pinnacle" http://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/apr/11/leicester-city-finances-football-league-financial-fair-play-investigation).
    Both good points, and I shouldn't have been so singular in my criticism of the FL. The problem really lies with the FA's complete turnover of power to the Premier League, and continuing to do so.

I should add I'm not completely Arsene Wenger stick my head in the sand on this. And the FL next year will inherit a Villa side who lose something like 3m a week, just as they inherited Portsmouth, and Bolton operating at massive losses, and Hull who were operating at massive losses, and QPR, etc. It just feels like year-on-year there is this complete amnesia that sets in, and couple that with the fact that clubs like Hull and Bolton and Palace have been bailed out by rich owners when their previous rich owners get fed up and we just seem to be going in circles.

Thanks for the link, I always love David Conn's work and I'd missed this. He (along with Owen Gibson who has done a lot on the Olympic Stadium) is one of the good, old fashioned investigative reporters who dig into things even when they're not sexy.
  • Options
    Ultimately football is not, and cannot be sustainable outside of the premier league... So it's a huge gamble consistently for ALL the owners outside of that division.. we just happen to be saddled with a total delusional twonk who thinks he can somehow change things, when in reality all he can change is the club, by making it entirely non competitive.
  • Options
    colin1961 said:

Two championship clubs going bust before May would be useful
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mascot88 said:

Ultimately football is not, and cannot be sustainable outside of the premier league... So it's a huge gamble consistently for ALL the owners outside of that division.. we just happen to be saddled with a total delusional twonk who thinks he can somehow change things, when in reality all he can change is the club, by making it entirely non competitive.

I refuse to accept this as a status quo. I'm not saying you're wrong, in fact I would argue that, for many clubs, even the Premier League is only moderately sustainable, but this cannot be allowed to continue. It's ridiculous. When supporters say "football isn't a business" or "clubs are more than a business" I tend to agree, but it's clear that the powers that be do not. It has become a ruthless and unregulated capitalistic system that is playing Russian roulette with community, and in some case national institutions.

Okay, I'm getting off my soapbox now.
  • Options

colin1961 said:

1 Sorry Colin, 2 major clubs did not go bust before last xmas.

2 Still no news on QPR's fine. The latest I can find is last June.

http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/qpr-chief-explains-year-long-11470760
  • Options
    been over two years now

• Options
    Thought there was news. Should have known better.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    I have to admit, I thought they'd get away with most of it somehow.
    I'm really pleased, even if it has taken 4 years.

Mind you I don't understand "the agreement from club shareholders to write off £22m of outstanding loans."

• Options
    The fine itself is what gets donated to charity isn't it? Or has the PL forced the EFL to change its rules again?
  • Options

I have to admit, I thought they'd get away with most of it somehow.
    I'm really pleased, even if it has taken 4 years.

Mind you I don't understand "the agreement from club shareholders to write off £22m of outstanding loans."

They're paying 17m over 10 years, I'd say they're getting away with it.