Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What has happened to Diego Poyet?

Comments

• Options
    But posh drawing
  • Options
    And that has what to do with Diego?
  • Options
    Wrong thread
  • Options

But posh drawing

Donny now winning

Is Poyet playing for 1 of these??
  • Options
    Saw an article here in Cyprus whilst on holiday that he has given up a footballing career and retired from playing football at 24 years old, after failing to find a tesm since leaving Pafos FC in the summer of 2018.

Such a shame
  • Options
    Saw an article here in Cyprus whilst on holiday that he has given up a footballing career and retired from playing football at 24 years old, after failing to find a tesm since leaving Pafos FC in the summer of 2018.

Such a shame
    Wow, if you had told me this would be his future when he was playing for us, I would have laughed at you. 

Crazy.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Still cannot fathom this. That half a season in 13/14; the best and most consistent performances I’ve ever seen from a Charlton youngster just breaking in - ahead of Rufus, Parker, shelvey, Gomez, lookman. Absolutely out of this world he was, and only 18. How he has ended up in this position I will never know. 
    Can only be his mindset.

As you say the talent was clearly there, so that leaves his desire/workrate. 
  • Options
    He was a hard worker too. Badly advised by his Dad?
  • Options
    What a waste. Can only imagine how different it would have been if he'd stayed at Charlton. 
  • Options
    Such a shame to see talent that many of us would love to be blessed with unfulfilled.
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    Still cannot fathom this. That half a season in 13/14; the best and most consistent performances I’ve ever seen from a Charlton youngster just breaking in - ahead of Rufus, Parker, shelvey, Gomez, lookman. Absolutely out of this world he was, and only 18. How he has ended up in this position I will never know. 
    He had plenty of money and therefore insufficient desire
    So did Frank Lampard. Doesn't mean anything.
  • Options
    Not sure if he was better than Gomez, but he was excellent for those 3 months, effortlessly replacing the departed Dale Stephens.

Baffling how his career went backwards after that, and the strange moves to South America and Cyprus
  • Options
    I always got the impression from looking at his social media at the time that he was more after the "celebrity" football career EG: David Beckham rather than a Lampard. He had barely kicked a ball in first team football and yet appeared in some advert. Given his dad's advice and money not being a issue I saw the West ham move as a status one rather than a footballing/money one. 

Oh well.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    For someone like me with 0 footballing talent it’s really frustrating to see someone with lots throw it away, his choice I guess.
  • Options
    I totally agree, one of the weirdest stories in recent football regarding a player’s development that I can remember. Shocking that he was a top, top champ player that half season and easily our star player. To this!? So strange.
  • Options
    If only he had stayed with us a bit longer - his footballing career would have been such a different story. 
  • Options
    Poyet's story only serves to confirm that once ability takes a sportsman to a certain level, it is the mental side that dictates whether they will be successful. When self doubt, over thinking the situation and a lack of playing instinctively takes over, everything becomes a trial and the inclination is to go for safety or even to go missing.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Chris Dickson scored 19 goals in 24 games for Pafos, Poyet's last club. Just to give you an idea of the level out there. 
    Dickson played for them in the second division. Poyet at least played in their top league. Pretty sure the level isn't great either way.
  • Options
    Poyet is the best academy player I've seen come through the ranks for us since Parker, and that includes Gomez. Astonishing to think that this is how it has ended up.

Surprised he hasn't even managed to find something in the lower leagues.
  • Options
    Worst case scenario, surely he should have been able to walk into any League One club, that's what I don't get. To not progress is a very sad thing, but to actually drop backwards is completely bizarre. 
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    cafctom said:
    Poyet is the best academy player I've seen come through the ranks for us since Parker, and that includes Gomez. Astonishing to think that this is how it has ended up.

Huskaris said:
    Worst case scenario, surely he should have been able to walk into any League One club, that's what I don't get. To not progress is a very sad thing, but to actually drop backwards is completely bizarre. 
    As I say it's all to do with what is going on in his head - and when that goes everything goes. Once that happens the player finds himself dropping down leagues so the desire goes too - one because he is financially comfortable but also because he believes he will never hit the heights he once did. So he retires.

It is the complete opposite of a Jamie Vardy. Poyet is the privately educated son of a former professional footballer and manager as against the lad who was discarded because he was too small and ended up working in a factory and playing part time. The fire was still burning for Vardy because he had a point to prove and continues to do so because he has witnessed what the alternatives were for him. 
  • Options
    cafctom said:

He was very good, I thought Gomez was better. I seem to recall around the time that Gomez was with us that it was often said that he received very good guidance from his family. Perhaps, in Poyet’s case, his fathers success provided him with everything he needed apart from the hunger to succeed.