Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Karl Robinson

Comments

• edited September 2019
    It certainly is not a good look. I wanted him sacked because he was too rigid in the way he played and opponents had clearly sussed us out. But he did have us playing some decent football and brought in Bowyer and Gallen. I'll say that again because some people don't seem to get it, he brought in Bowyer and Gallen. If the response to that is he was a shit manager, well I haven't seen anybody saying he was a good one, but he has played a part in the roots of our current success. 
  • Rudders22 said:
    So he couldn't even get a game at very low league level? 
    Was with pro clubs as a kid but had a bad back injury.

His playing career doesn't make him a bad manager. His managerial career does.
    Exactly. The likes of Wenger, Sarri and Mourinho didn't have great playing careers. Others like Roy Keane, John Barnes, Zola, Maradona had great careers but are piss poor managers.
  • I couldn't give a shit about him when he was here and don't now, I'm sure he's good company to have a pint with but I felt the same about him as I did every other manager we've had since Powell apart from Lee Bowyer 
  • CAFCOlly said:
    The way he engineered his exit left a particularly bad taste. 
    I was so happy to see the back of him that this was actually one of the few things that made me like him a little more. 
    We got one point from Fleetwood and Blackpool in what were his last games

Had we got the maximum we'e have finished fifth then we'd have faced a Rotherham team that we'd easily beaten twice that season and then would have faced either Shrewsbury (who twice bottled it at Wembley) or Scunthorpe in the Play-Off Final

Regardless we wouldnt have had the pressure of waiting on that Scunthorpe v Plymouth result pretty much at the end of the season

Of course there is nothing to say we would have won the Play-Offs that year and we wont have had the drama we had in May - I do respect him for resigning but he still went about it completely the wrong way
  • CAFCOlly said:
    I was so happy to see the back of him that this was actually one of the few things that made me like him a little more. 

Had we got the maximum we'e have finished fifth then we'd have faced a Rotherham team that we'd easily beaten twice that season and then would have faced either Shrewsbury (who twice bottled it at Wembley) or Scunthorpe in the Play-Off Final

Regardless we wouldnt have had the pressure of waiting on that Scunthorpe v Plymouth result pretty much at the end of the season

Of course there is nothing to say we would have won the Play-Offs that year and we wont have had the drama we had in May - I do respect him for resigning but he still went about it completely the wrong way
    Valid point but I have no confidence that we would've gotten maximum points against Fleetwood and Blackpool even if there weren't rumours regarding his future. The wheels had been falling off for a while before then. He knew it so he engineered his move away.
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCOlly said:
    CAFCOlly said:

Valid point but I have no confidence that we would've gotten maximum points against Fleetwood and Blackpool even if there weren't rumours regarding his future. The wheels had been falling off for a while before then. He knew it so he engineered his move away.
    But we then went and played both Plymouth and Rotherham and played them off the park

If he didnt want to be at Charlton then he should have left sooner as the Oxford rumours were flying around for a while - Instead it felt as though he deliberately put in those bad performances in an effort to be sacked and so get a pay off
  • CAFCOlly said:
    CAFCOlly said:

But we then went and played both Plymouth and Rotherham and played them off the park

If he didnt want to be at Charlton then he should have left sooner as the Oxford rumours were flying around for a while - Instead it felt as though he deliberately put in those bad performances in an effort to be sacked and so get a pay off
    But then can a manager deliberately engineer bad performances?

It's not as if he played Solly as centre forward or Fosu as a CB...
    Depends how you get the players to approach games

The players arent rubbish but if they're not given the right direction then they're not going to perform - i.e. Fleetwood / Plymouth performances were a perfect example of that as was Karel Fraeye
  • CAFCOlly said:
    CAFCOlly said:

But then can a manager deliberately engineer bad performances?

It's not as if he played Solly as centre forward or Fosu as a CB...
    Depends how you get the players to approach games

The players arent rubbish but if they're not given the right direction then they're not going to perform - i.e. Fleetwood / Plymouth performances were a perfect example of that as was Karel Fraeye
    But then teams lose matches. We lost the second leg to Doncaster in the playoffs for example with a poor performance
  • Before he'd left he was already ringing Oxford players to tell them he was coming.

One of the Oxford players was so shocked he rang one of his mates, a Charlton player, and asked what was going on.

He was also telling everyone who'd listen at the training ground what a crap club this was.

Bad appointment who was a bad manager for us then left badly and has done badly since he left.
    Most posters on here were in complete dispair at the club's prospects when he left. 

This reminds me a bit of the mid 70's when Theo Foley deservedly gets credit for scouting players such as Flanagan, Powell and Hales. Despite this it was Andy Nelson who moved that team up a Division. Could Theo have delivered promotion in 74/75?

I feel similarly about Robinson who like Theo is not a bad manager imo just not an exceptional one. 

What he did do was create a backroom team who have improved after his departure in the way as players Flanagan, Hales and Powell did under Nelson. 

I just think that this needs to be acknowledged when discussing him. 
  • The replies in this thread show how divisive Robinson was as manager of our great club. I'm glad we no longer have a character like that managing our club.
  • It just seems odd that there are 2 threads about Karl Robinson when Russell Slade has been completely forgotten about

Robinson is currently managing in L1
    Slade is currently managing in National League North
  • Don't hate him, just think he is a bit of a joke.
  • Sponsored links:

• He was the best option available at the time. However, time moved on very quickly!
  • The way he engineered his exit left a particularly bad taste. 
    Trouble was, he knew he was a dead man walking.

Nobody has mentioned it yet ..... but this was the start of a massive takeover rumour, so massive it prompted Henry to start a new  "Takeover Thead" which as we all know, is still with us.

Remember the Australians were to be the new owners and it was said, they wanted their own man as manager.

Robinson seemed to know that, he knew the new owners would remove him - and as his behaviour became even more erratic, he put himself and his family first and applied for a new job while still employed.

Now he wouldn't be the first person in human history to do that, and in many ways you can't blame him.

• The football under Robinson was terrible to watch - lots of passing and no attacking threat. The worst thing was having to listen to him. Clueless.
  • The football under Robinson was terrible to watch - lots of passing and no attacking threat. The worst thing was having to listen to him. Clueless.
    Did you mean lot's of passing around the back 4 and then give the ball to Ricky Holmes to run into a corner. I do not miss those days.
  • Given the managers we've had, I don't see the need for all the bile. He started out great, and we were playing some nice stuff, but then we were found out and there was no plan B (and later we lost plan A too) and from that moment we were going nowhere with him. Yes, some of his excuses and rantings were reminiscent of Pardew, but as has been said above, he tried his best under a difficult owner, and when he left he was generous. Plus he left us with Bowyer and Gallen, which is quite a nice leaving gift. He was overall a poor manager, but he left of his own accord (something the obnoxious Pardew refused to do). Why keep moaning about him?

I was being told it was the best we'd played since the premier league days.
  • Before he'd left he was already ringing Oxford players to tell them he was coming.

One of the Oxford players was so shocked he rang one of his mates, a Charlton player, and asked what was going on.

He was also telling everyone who'd listen at the training ground what a crap club this was.

Bad appointment who was a bad manager for us then left badly and has done badly since he left.
    If that’s the case, he’s a disgrace. 
  • I remember going to Fleetwood a couple of years back and we won 3-1. Great day out. At the final whistle he ran over to one of our disabled fans in the corner and gave him a hug which was nice. 

He then proceeded to miss every one of our fans out who had lined up along the front wall to the half way line who wanted to high 5 with him, including kids. Sums him up really.
  • All v similar to the tony watt thread.

• All v similar to the tony watt thread.

Now playing for CSKA in Sofia.

He gets about a bit.