Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

"Brexit" and the effects on work permits in football... would this help or hinder us?

edited March 2016 in General Charlton
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35919247
Players with an EU passport are currently free to play in the UK. Those without must meet Home Office criteria, the most important being that they are established internationals for leading nations.

Analysis of squads in the first two tiers in England and the Scottish Premiership has revealed a total of 332 players would fail to meet the current standards.

More than 100 Premier League players would be affected with Aston Villa, Newcastle United and Watford facing losing 11 players from their squads, while Championship side Charlton Athletic would need to find 13 replacements.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Colin.
  • Options
    Brilliant.
  • Options
    I would be absolutely mortified if dear old Roly was stopped from bringing in his euroshite from the Lithuanian equivalent of the Unibond League, or wherever. He might have to source homegrown players, some of whom have experience of football in this country. This of course would be a tragedy.
  • Options
    Brexit won't of course happen but I think if it did it might blow RD's plans right out of the water.

How many of our euro imports would fit the home office criteria ?
  • Options
    well, that's done it for me.

i'm a yes.
  • Options
    Even if we vote to come out of the EU, it could take at least 2 years before it happens and by then most of our players will have left
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Even if we vote to come out of the EU, it could take at least 2 years before it happens and by then most of our players will have left

Why would you think that ? Even if many of them did leave we already know where most of the replacements would be sourced. How many British players or players that would fit the home office criteria has Roland signed thus far ?

He thinks cheap European imports are the way to get value. Cut off a large chunk of that market and he has to completely re think his strategy.

It's the only silver lining to a Brexit cloud.

• Options
    Did you know football didn't exist before the EU? It's incredible what that political union has done for us.
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Just a bit of scare mongering from the BBC who clearly want us in the EU.

There's no way The Premier League and The Football League will simply just sit back and allow it to happen should we leave the EU. Money talks and there's no way The Premier League would allow itself to be uncompetitive against La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc more than likely it will just mean new legislation coming in to get around the current work permit system.

Edit - as for us, most of our overseas players will probably move on if we are relegated which looks more likely than not so I can't see it affecting us when we're likely fielding an almost academy XI next season.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Various outcomes simulated in the new Football Manager.

Could go as far as only allowing 4 non-UK players in British squads, which would in turn means more British players in the Premier League, effecting transfer fees and potentially TV money.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/10/18/brexit-is-simulated-in-football-manager-2017-and-its-going-to-ma/