Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gary Neville sacked

that didn't last long

Comments

• Not surprised. Wonder if he'll get his gig back at Sky?
  • Not surprised. Wonder if he'll get his gig back at Sky?

Hope so. He's decent

• Surprised he lasted that long. He was shite.
    His air of wisdom not as it was before, so if he does return to punditry, he will have to choose his words wisely.
  • Strange timing, though I don't think the fans were impressed with him being away coaching England as well
  • Surprised he still did the England role whilst being Valencia manager. He could of been improving his spanish during International breaks, not coaching England!
  • Big job that was for his first crack at management.

Shame for him as I thought he'd do well. Fair play to him for giving it a crack, a lot of pundits talk a good game, but never chance their arm - you can see why.
  • He'll have a career in management, if he wants to
  • Sponsored links:

• Tutt-Tutt said:

Wrong job at the wrong time. Whatever possessed him to think he could stroll into one of the top clubs in Spain, with no previous managerial experience, unfamiliar with the league, not speaking a word of the language and think he was good enough to make a success of it? The dressing room must have thought WTF, is this a reality show? He must have a big ego.

How about starting out at a League One or Championship club and learning the trade?

I reckon it will take a long time for him to lose the baggage of this failure as a head coach/manager.

Completely agree, though it's hard when a job like that comes calling. I do appreciate that he went overseas, I think that's incredibly important for British coaches. But it was a massive ask, and Valencia fans are notoriously fickle--though if anything they gave him a pretty easy ride.

I am personally of the belief that British players of the Premier League era are going to learn a lot of things to be successful managers at the top level. It seems like technical and tactical coaching in Britain is improving, but if you go back even 15-20 years you find that it was massively behind the rest of the continent. Looking at the likes of Robson, Ince, Sherwood, Adams, Sherringham, Shearer, Pearce etc., all have failed pretty drastically as managers, and are largely off the radar now. I feel the same way about SCP, there's a lot more to the game now than there was when he stopped playing, let alone than when he was in his peak.
  • Very good, Beds.
  • Ridiculous appointment that was never going to work. Like Moyes, thought he could do it without speaking the language. Compare that to Guardiola who had learnt decent German before taking the Bayern job - poor Neville looked well out of his depth.
  • I can't knock him for trying but it's like a coach from a third division team in a nothing league coming to Charlton and thinking he could get away with it.
    What the heck was he thinking?
  • those who can't manage .. prefer pontificating punditry
  • Don't think it knocks his reputation down at all, going to a big but faltering club in a foreign league and not speaking a word of Spanish, was never going to be easy to get his ideas across, I also think there's more to this than just league form as I don't think they could have been happy with him leaving to coach England when Valencia themselves are struggling. Would love to see him back in Punditry and have another crack at management, albeit at a lower level to start.
  • Valencia are not the giants they once were but still, was never going to work.

Still working with England was baffling, surely as a club manager your focus should be on one club and if your form is erratic should be using that time to find the winning formula.

I like Neville, but shaping his managerial career through the football league should have been his priority.

Anyway, the best managers/players learn from their mistakes, so his next move will show what he has learnt.
  • TBF he needs to cut his teeth in League 1 or 2. I am not suggesting....
  • Ridiculous appointment that was never going to work. Like Moyes, thought he could do it without speaking the language. Compare that to Guardiola who had learnt decent German before taking the Bayern job - poor Neville looked well out of his depth.

Agreed - how can you impart your ideas to the players and build a relationship when you can't even speak the lingo ?

As for Moyes, I understand that he made no real effort to integrate and enjoy all that San Sebastian has to offer; on the contrary, he spent most of his time holed up in an expensive hotel and surrounded himself with his British cronies.