Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Options
    I tell you one thing, I wish to fuck that Eddie would ditch that David Diamante fella from the MC role, he’s terrible .
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    buckshee said:

I tell you one thing, I wish to fuck that Eddie would ditch that David Diamante fella from the MC role, he’s terrible .

Seemed he popped up out of nowhere from doing the WBSS and is now a staple for all fights. His hair makes me feel ill.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

So shaker Stevenson the youngster from the USA put a 1st rd ko on his record against a guy who went 12 rds with selby and had never been dropped he beat veteran of two world title attempts and a record of 21-2 Vorel Simion this fella is no mug

So how a 8-0 kid can take him apart so easily should either stink the world of boxing up as a betting scam or this kid is one to watch

I hope the latter but fear it’s the stinky side

@bobmunro any rumblings of dodgy bets ??

I haven't heard anything, D.

Stevenson is an Olympic Silver medalist and touted as someone with a big future, so he may be something special - and Simion is now 36, hadn't fought for 18 months, and took the fight at short notice.

No great surprise.

Edit: Just checked - Stevenson was 1/20 favourite so definitely no big surprise.
  • Options
    I like the bloke... Bloke
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

buckshee said:

David Diamante ...... Diamante!
    I thought there was something wrong with my TV.
  • Options
    Macronate said:

bobmunro said:

buckshee said:

David Diamante ...... Diamante!
    I thought there was something wrong with my TV.
    TV
  • Options
    Does he base his act on the character from Goodfellas, Jimmy Two Times ?
  • Options
    In the minority but I like him.
    He’s been asked before about repeating the name, said it’s a nod to the old days where it was commonplace
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    bobmunro said:

So shaker Stevenson the youngster from the USA put a 1st rd ko on his record against a guy who went 12 rds with selby and had never been dropped he beat veteran of two world title attempts and a record of 21-2 Vorel Simion this fella is no mug

So how a 8-0 kid can take him apart so easily should either stink the world of boxing up as a betting scam or this kid is one to watch

I hope the latter but fear it’s the stinky side

@bobmunro any rumblings of dodgy bets ??

I haven't heard anything, D.

Stevenson is an Olympic Silver medalist and touted as someone with a big future, so he may be something special - and Simion is now 36, hadn't fought for 18 months, and took the fight at short notice.

No great surprise.

Edit: Just checked - Stevenson was 1/20 favourite so definitely no big surprise.
    Still a phenomenal result I put the call in to Jimmy Harrington this morning as he had vorel over for sparring

He couldn’t believe it said the lad is either something unbelievable and the whole division should be on watch or it stinks to high heaven

Reckoned you shouldn’t be able to knock him over with a tank let alone gloves

Will be def putting the kid on the one to watch list and keep an eye out for him on shows

He called frampton and Warrington out after the fight the kids got balls
  • Options
    Hey fight fans

I had an historical boxing article in The Independent today. An interesting story (I think) that I had to cut by about 70% to get published.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/boxing/battling-siki-boxing-history-african-world-champion-feature-international-hall-of-fame-a8585286.html
  • Options
    Well played @Vincenzo really enjoyed that article
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Thanks feller. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Just out of interest, have you read the book Black Ajax by George MacDonald Fraser? It's a historical novel absed on the real African American boxer Tom Molineaux. He was around during the Georgian bareknuckle era. A good read.
  • Options
    Good stuff mate
  • Options
    Canelo signed with DAZN
    11 fight, 5 year, $365 million deal
  • Options

Canelo signed with DAZN

Blimey, I sensed NLA’s business was going alright but I didn’t know THAT well :-)
  • Options

Canelo signed with DAZN

Shock horror... Was obious after the Fielding Fight was made
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Vincenzo said:

Honoured to get an RT from Lennox Lewis:

Does anyone remember when Lennox came to The Valley? Was introduced at HT I think.
    Yeah he was in the millennium lounge post match... or what ever it was called at the time. His manager was in there too wearing a union Jack seequined jackets
  • Options
    David Haye announces as Chisora’s new manager. Wouldn’t have seen that one coming a few years back.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

Honoured to get an RT from Lennox Lewis:

Does anyone remember when Lennox came to The Valley? Was introduced at HT I think.
    Yes it was when we played West Ham in our first Prem season after the play off final.

It pi***d down with rain that day and Danny Mills destroyed Julian Dicks. We won 4-2 if memory serves me right.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Vincenzo said:

Just out of interest, have you read the book Black Ajax by George MacDonald Fraser? It's a historical novel absed on the real African American boxer Tom Molineaux. He was around during the Georgian bareknuckle era. A good read.
    No, I haven't. I'll have a look for it though. Sounds interesting.

Tom Molineaux was the former slave who came to England and fought Tom Cribb (over 35 rounds!) for the world title, back in the bare knuckle era. And Tom Cribb is buried in Woolwich.
  • Options
    Vincenzo said:

McBobbin said:

Vincenzo said:

No, I haven't. I'll have a look for it though. Sounds interesting.

Tom Molineaux was the former slave who came to England and fought Tom Cribb (over 35 rounds!) for the world title, back in the bare knuckle era. And Tom Cribb is buried in Woolwich.
    Indeed he is - I remember seeing his tomb as a child.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2b/a9/92/2ba992ece8d6705ab47309de9c224ca7.jpg
  • Options

I first met Lennox In one of the rooms above the pub the bear and staff (I think that was the name) always thought it was bexleyheath but I was young so it may not have been , my dad told me to come and see the kid who won gold at the Olympics for Canada and there was this giant of a man

Years later and after he was multi world champ I went to one of his BBQs as a guest of a pal who had worked with him on some PR stuff

Last time I saw him was in Asda In Southgate and he was still as humble as ever

He knew we had met somewhere before and asked me where it was when I was in full awe mode of him and what he had achieved in the sport I adored

Once I told him he gave me the i knew I knew you from somewhere line when we both knew it was bollox he didn’t have a clue

It made me feel a million dollars

One of the good guys is Lennox Lewis

Great story, D - one of the good guys, certainly, and who also happens to be on of the best heavyweights there has ever been.
  • Options
    Joseph Parker's next opponent will be Mexican-American Alexander Flores who he will face in Christchurch on December 15th. Flores has a 17-1-1 record with 13 ko's. He lost to Charles Martin in 2014, a fight he took at two months notice. Since his draw with American Avery Gibson Flores' last three fights have all ended in confidence-boosting knock outs in Tijuana, Mexico..

Flores was a sparring partner of Ruiz in his Auckland fight against Parker a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

I first met Lennox In one of the rooms above the pub the bear and staff (I think that was the name) always thought it was bexleyheath but I was young so it may not have been , my dad told me to come and see the kid who won gold at the Olympics for Canada and there was this giant of a man

Years later and after he was multi world champ I went to one of his BBQs as a guest of a pal who had worked with him on some PR stuff

He knew we had met somewhere before and asked me where it was when I was in full awe mode of him and what he had achieved in the sport I adored

Once I told him he gave me the i knew I knew you from somewhere line when we both knew it was bollox he didn’t have a clue

Great story, D - one of the good guys, certainly, and who also happens to be on of the best heavyweights there has ever been.
    He was unreal in his day mate definitely a super heavyweight the size and stature of him his whole aura that surrounded him

And truly humble although in his pomp the guy was charismatic charming and arrogant but it worked

He talks such a good game as well I love the knowledge of the boxers of yesterday they details they worked on

• Options

Great story I have always loved lennox. Bear and staff could be in Crayford as that's name of big pub on one way system there