Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The thread about Boxing

Comments

• Just seen this about Skoglund which is pretty bad.. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/42295111

In sparring too.
  • Correct decision, another Brit losing their world title.
    Don't know who he is fighting but Saunders is boxing in Canada next week so we could lose another one.

Lemiux
  • buckshee said:

buckshee said:
    Classy. Degale was hugely (by his standards) humble after the fight.

Groves hasn't had it since being sparked by Froch so he should have a look at himself first. His career is done if he loses to Eubank.

Congrats to Truax.
    Which one is a world champion still? Pretty sure it's Groves. As for being classy the way Degale behaved leading up to his fight with Groves he deserves every bit of abuse George gives him.
    To be fair just read that that's what Degale tweeted after he lost to Froch so fair enough if that is the case. Still all a bit cringey the twittering.
  • buckshee said:

buckshee said:

Groves hasn't had it since being sparked by Froch so he should have a look at himself first. His career is done if he loses to Eubank.

Congrats to Truax.
    Which one is a world champion still? Pretty sure it's Groves. As for being classy the way Degale behaved leading up to his fight with Groves he deserves every bit of abuse George gives him.
    To be fair just read that that's what Degale tweeted after he lost to Froch so fair enough if that is the case. Still all a bit cringey the twittering.
    Twitter isn't my thing, those two aren't making up a dislike of one another though.

Regardless of the winner of the super six DeGale v Groves is he biggest paying draw in boxing once Groves v Eubank has been settled.

@RodneyCharltonTrotta I hear you about levels of opposition. Carl Froch made a strong case for being the man becaus3 of who he fought. And in the case of Calzaghe who he didn't fight.

we, well all of us with a brain at least, will say Froch would drop a 12 round decision unanimously to Joe Calzaghe.

Calzaghe v Groves
    Groves v Eubank
    Calzaghe v Benn
    Collins v Calzaghe

the would be and what ifs
  • Carter said:

buckshee said:

buckshee said:

Congrats to Truax.
    Twitter isn't my thing, those two aren't making up a dislike of one another though.

Regardless of the winner of the super six DeGale v Groves is he biggest paying draw in boxing once Groves v Eubank has been settled.

@RodneyCharltonTrotta I hear you about levels of opposition. Carl Froch made a strong case for being the man becaus3 of who he fought. And in the case of Calzaghe who he didn't fight.

we, well all of us with a brain at least, will say Froch would drop a 12 round decision unanimously to Joe Calzaghe.

Calzaghe v Groves
    Groves v Eubank
    Calzaghe v Benn
    Collins v Calzaghe

the would be and what ifs
    Calzaghe wins all of them by the way
  • edited December 2017
    Don't see what's wrong with Groves tweet. Harsh to say he's done nothing since Froch when he's the WBA super champion and having a mega fight in February. The super and silver champions are more annoying than tweeting.

I don't think Eubank will pull out of the fight and if Groves wins the tournament his statue goes to Froch's level IMO but still miles below Calzaghe level. Shame Degale lost.
  • Re Groves - if you have enough world title fights you are gonna win one eventually.
  • edited December 2017

Don't see what's wrong with Groves tweet. Harsh to say he's done nothing since Froch when he's the WBA super champion and having a mega fight in February. The super and silver champions are more annoying than tweeting.

I don't think Eubank will pull out of the fight and if Groves wins the tournament his statue goes to Froch's level IMO but still miles below Calzaghe level. Shame Degale lost.

No one's said he's done nothing. Standard of opponent (Murray was 34 when they met) was not elite but won't begrudge him that as that's how it works these days and I like Groves particularly for the way he bounced back after several set backs and won his belts.

Point remains that Froch 2 took something out of him and I don't think it's come back and a loss v eubank could underline that. A win or top performance but loss may show he's still got more.

Re the tweet I took the initial comment back after learning degale apparently did the same after froch. Fully aware of the history and genuine disdain between them but still find it unclassy, petty and cringe worthy but that's the world we live in now.
  • Late to the party but, man, I love watching Lomachenko box, watched it back today
  • Isaac Lowe named on the undercard of the Groves vs Eubank fight, congrats NLA!

Tyson Fury cleared to fight again. Great stuff
  • Sponsored links:

• Tyson Fury been cleared with a retrospective doping ban. Just needs his licence back.
  • Yay for drugs cheats.
  • GGG V Canelo confirmed for May 5th and talks underway for Lomachenko to step up another weight and fight Linares in May.

I know which one I'd rather be watching out of the two.
  • edited January 2018
    why do we have two 'boxing tonight' threads?

http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/56632/boxing-tonight#latest
  • buckshee said:

GGG V Canelo confirmed for May 5th and talks underway for Lomachenko to step up another weight and fight Linares in May.

I know which one I'd rather be watching out of the two.

The only one of the four I haven’t seen live is Canelo.

Still waiting for the venue to be announced. I’m in Vegas that weekend, bunch of us going as a belated celebration for my 60th which took a back seat for obvious reasons last May. We took a punt that the rematch would take place on 5 May and hoped it would be Vegas, but there is talk of Dallas.

If it does take place in Vegas and Lomo/Linares is on the same card it would be an unbelievable way to belatedly celebrate being really old!

• Mate if that card has those 4 fighting it would be every bday and xmas I had left
  • Mate if that card has those 4 fighting it would be every bday and xmas I had left

You're not wrong, D.

If one of them is in Vegas I'll be happy. I saw Lomo on the undercard of the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight and of the four it would be him more than anyone I would want to see again, although I would love to add Canelo to the list. Linares is good but not great, Mitchell should have beaten him. If both fights are in Dallas then it will be interesting. Last time I was out there Beefy was fighting Canelo and it was switched to Dallas. We came very close to getting a private jet to Dallas from Vegas just for the night but my mate was talked out of it by me - it wasn't a big enough fight so we watched it in a sports bar and 90% of the people there were Mexicans. Good crack though and we were signing God Save the Queen most of the night until Canelo stopped him! The same bunch of mates are going with me in May (you'll meet them in Manchester) and we'll have the ladies with us so they might like a short trip to Dallas. We're there Tuesday to Tuesday so that sort of trip wouldn't take much out of the week. We'll see but I wouldn't want to miss either.
  • bobmunro said:

Mate if that card has those 4 fighting it would be every bday and xmas I had left

You're not wrong, D.

If one of them is in Vegas I'll be happy. I saw Lomo on the undercard of the Mayweather/Pacquiao fight and of the four it would be him more than anyone I would want to see again, although I would love to add Canelo to the list. Linares is good but not great, Mitchell should have beaten him. If both fights are in Dallas then it will be interesting. Last time I was out there Beefy was fighting Canelo and it was switched to Dallas. We came very close to getting a private jet to Dallas from Vegas just for the night but my mate was talked out of it by me - it wasn't a big enough fight so we watched it in a sports bar and 90% of the people there were Mexicans. Good crack though and we were signing God Save the Queen most of the night until Canelo stopped him! The same bunch of mates are going with me in May (you'll meet them in Manchester) and we'll have the ladies with us so they might like a short trip to Dallas. We're there Tuesday to Tuesday so that sort of trip wouldn't take much out of the week. We'll see but I wouldn't want to miss either.
    It's 23 years away, but my Mrs better start saving for my 60th.

No chance I can afford to watch Lomachenko in the states, praying he comes over here one day.
  • No way them two fights are on the same card.
  • Sponsored links:

• Issac Lowe Evs to beat Ryan Walsh

Imo it’s a given
  • No way them two fights are on the same card.

I know - just wishful thinking.

• Issac Lowe Evs to beat Ryan Walsh

Imo it’s a given

I like Ryan, but he's been messed around by Warren and I have doubts over how much he still wants it. He can be out boxed and hasn't got the best "boxing brain" but can get away with it at a lesser level. Issac isn't that.
    This is where we see Lowe come into the spotlight imo
  • Issac is in phenomenal shape, has a new lead trainer in James Harrington , he has a totally different mindset and approach to boxing under jimmy ,

Imo the fight will go

Walsh weighs in either heavy or struggling to get down to championship weight and the belt will only be able to be won by Issac or Walsh just cuts it

walsh will look for a KO

Issac will box smart and clever but fast and hard and the fight gets stopped between 8-12 with a new british champ

and the walsh brothers will all be trying to fight me as i dance the dance of joy infront of the baying hoard from norwich
  • Issac is in phenomenal shape, has a new lead trainer in James Harrington , he has a totally different mindset and approach to boxing under jimmy ,

Imo the fight will go

Walsh weighs in either heavy or struggling to get down to championship weight and the belt will only be able to be won by Issac or Walsh just cuts it

walsh will look for a KO

Issac will box smart and clever but fast and hard and the fight gets stopped between 8-12 with a new british champ

and the walsh brothers will all be trying to fight me as i dance the dance of joy infront of the baying hoard from norwich

Are you that sure/confident? Walsh only lost to Selby and I think the euro champ. A big step up for lowe. I haven't seen a lot of lowe tbh. Could it be too quick or early a move up in class
  • Isaac would’ve beaten Denis ceylan has he not had the accidental clash of heads that caused the fight to be off within 4

Rd 3 and 4 in that fight Isaac had really turned it on

Walsh lost to Selby 5 yrs ago and he lost to ceylan 3 years ago now since then he beat McCullough for the British

Isaac beat McCullough for the commonwealth and only lost it because he took the European title fight and didn’t defend it in time (wrongly imo as his opponent pulled out )

Walsh 31 now and like his brothers has always been big at the weight I have seen footage and I think Walsh may struggle to make the weight

Isaac has been sparring with the best and I have watched him in the gyms with frampton ,Warrington, Reece mould, Maxi Hughes, Jack Bateson (one to really watch out for class kid )

Sparring means nothing going into a fight we all know that but it’s like learning maths or English to these guys it’s all knowledge craft and know how whilst building muscle and energy

But Isaac pushed frampton hard and they went at it Proper (and he was not out of his depth at all )

He regularly goes at it with josh

Walsh Found his level and never pushed on I love the British titles they mean more to the fans and boxers than most other belts as it’s the one that sets you on your way

But where has it put Walsh ? No where why he is not above that class

Issac is above it he is a vfm fighter never a dull fight and has stepped up every time

English champ , commonwealth champ , never lost to the European champ , will win the British champ

Then he has the European title he can go for and the division then becomes a lot harder can he get a world title

Who knows but frampton , Warrington/Selby all know that Isaac is not an easy fight

Walsh tells everyone it’s going to be easy it ain’t and there will be a new champ

• Some punch from Kid Galahad there
  • What time will the ring walks for Wilder Ortiz be?
  • 3.30 I believe
  • Can we not merge the 2 "Boxing tonight" threads, gets a bit confusing on the big fight nights!!!