Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Anyone else had trouble with Google maps?

A demolition firm tore down the wrong house - and blamed the error on Google Maps.

Lindsay Diaz, who owns a flat in Rowlett, Texas, pulled into her driveway to find her home was no more than a pile of rubble after workers went to Calypso Drive instead of Causteau Drive, one street away.

The employees had apparently called their supervisor to check the number of the flat they were demolishing, but failed to clarify the street address.

The demolition crew blamed the error on a false addressing listing on Google Maps, WFAA reports.

Comments

• Options
    Yes, strangely. Rented a vacation property in Florida. Google Maps had the street shown as a completely different road.
    SW 22nd Place marked on what was actually SW 40th Street. So, weird but not unique. Give Google their due, I notified them and they checked, corrected the mistake and said thanks for letting them know.

Pre-Google, my old man's firm dealt with a demolition order on a structurally dangerous property but the local council put the wrong adresss on the order. Fortunately, someone was in and persuaded him to double check the address.
  • Options

"......pulled into her driveway to find her home was no more than a pile of rubble...."

She got as far as her driveway before noticing? Observant individual.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

"......pulled into her driveway to find her home was no more than a pile of rubble...."

She got as far as her driveway before noticing? Observant individual.

And if it was a flat, did they leave all the other flats standing? Perhaps some are hovering in the air using some kind of Maglev process (one for the trainspotters).
  • Options
    Was using google maps to check the walking route from my office to Liverpool St station yesterday and it advised me the quickest way was to brazenly walk straight down Downing St.
  • Options
    LouisMend said:

Was using google maps to check the walking route from my office to Liverpool St station yesterday and it advised me the quickest way was to brazenly walk straight down Downing St.

Maybe Google was just offering you the quickest way to your final destination (there you'd be, heading towards the light...).
  • Options
    Don't give Roland ideas to tear down the Valley, by mistake of course.
  • Options
    ross1 said:

A demolition firm tore down the wrong house - and blamed the error on Google Maps.

Lindsay Diaz, who owns a flat in Rowlett, Texas, pulled into her driveway to find her home was no more than a pile of rubble after workers went to Calypso Drive instead of Causteau Drive, one street away.

The employees had apparently called their supervisor to check the number of the flat they were demolishing, but failed to clarify the street address.

The demolition crew blamed the error on a false addressing listing on Google Maps, WFAA reports.

And the demolition firm did not apologise and say we will pay damages but had the cajones to tell her the legal battle will be nasty.