Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Getting Behind Something Positive...

All talk of late has been around protests etc, but there is a real opportunity for everyone to balance it out by supporting something positive.

The Upbeats have their annual walk on the morning of the Derby game 16th April. We'll do a big sponsorship appeal day nearer the time which worked so successfully last year, but what they really need more than anything now is people committing to the 9 mile walk starting from Sparrows Lane.

A number of us did this last year, it was a fantastic day and the miles cover a lot easier than you think walking and chatting with a group. This year Bob Bolder, Simon Webster and Paul Mortimer have already committed to it, so a great way of doing something supportive, enjoyable and side by side with some Charlton legends. And the pint at the end of it tastes superb!

So who is in? Who has a free diary on Saturday morning the 16th April (most of you) and is prepared to form a little Charlton Life troupe and listen to my bad jokes over nine miles (lights going out like a Dowie lookalike on Take Me Out).

Everyone loves everything about the Upbeats, but it is the success / failure of events like this that impact on their future. Please consider giving up a few hours on a Saturday morning to help support them and show that the Charlton spirit isn't just alive in protests.

Sales pitch over :-) who is in?

Comments

• Yeah go on AFKA count me in mate
  • I'm already booked in for this but not sure I'll go to the game after.
  • I'm in will where my black white walking boots.
  • Thanks for the reminder just registered. I hope KM does not hijack the day. Must be positive. See we are going an extra mile this year, but more of a scenic route.
  • edited March 2016
    Yeah I'll do it :-)
    Oh I've just seen the bit about the bad jokes, I might be a bit late ;-)
  • Will Katrien be there?
  • I'm in. Dec won't be able to walk that far because of his broken ankle but hopes to join for some of it!
  • sam3110 said:

Will Katrien be there?

My understanding is there are no plans for that to happen this year. With everything that has gone on, I think everyone would agree that is probably the most common sense approach for all parties to ensure that the focus remains solely on the Upbeats.

• edited March 2016
    Excellent start

So we have

AFKA
    Cabbles
    Dave Mehmet
    Welly
    Danske
    Suzi + Deccers
    3 Blokes
    Swisdom

Where's Barbara Woodhouse @T.C.E + Bailey when you need him?

Can we get another five in by the end of today?
  • Excellent start

So we have

AFKA
    Cabbles
    Dave Mehmet
    Welly
    Danske
    Suzi + Deccers
    3 Blokes
    Swisdom

Where's Barbara Woodhouse @T.C.E + Bailey when you need him?

Can we get another five in by the end of today?

I've just paid for this so look forward to seeing you all there - will start promoting the fundraising aspect of it etc

Shame Katrien can't be there, we could've had a debrief re; our recent correspondence
  • Sponsored links:

• Come on, if 3hrs walking with @cabbles listening to his dating exploits can't convince you, I don't know what can.

Can we not talk in the 31-year man, Cabbles?
  • Come on, if 3hrs walking with @cabbles listening to his dating exploits can't convince you, I don't know what can.

ha - my uncle yes, let me put it to him. He'll be pleased lifers are inquiring about him. If anything he fears everyone will think his efforts are just a token and that I've been calling him weak.....he is weak, missing 3 games already this season, that's not 31 years unblemished
  • I've paid in so I'm deffo in now.
    Here's the link in case anyone needs it:
    http://www.cact.org.uk/news/charlton-upbeats-day-is-back-9-mile-charity-walk/
  • Yes, I'm in. Just a slight chance that I am out of the country.
  • I'm not sure I can do it as I will be bringing my Dad. I'll check with him when he gets back from his holiday. I have a question though:

If we drive to Sparrows Lane and then walk to The Valley does that mean that we will be 9 miles away from our cars after the game?
  • BDLBDL
    edited March 2016
    Both myself and @KillersBeard will be doing it as well ;-)
  • I'm not sure I can do it as I will be bringing my Dad. I'll check with him when he gets back from his holiday. I have a question though:

If we drive to Sparrows Lane and then walk to The Valley does that mean that we will be 9 miles away from our cars after the game?

Yes but it is only about 5miles if you take the direct route. Hope we do not jeered at if we do not stay behind for the car park protest:-)

In true Charlton-fan style, if you get the 5.21 from Charlton, change at Lewisham, you will be at New Eltham at 5.53 (32 mins)

choo choo

• Would love to join this but my achilles tendon's buggered :-/
  • edited March 2016
    Count me in, I'll take the dog out early in the morning for his 7 miles and then join in.

Might struggle getting sponsorship, for 9 miles, as that's a normal day for me.
  • Sponsored links:

• Won't be walking but have donated. I look forward to seeing the footage from the event!
  • Myself and lucky red (not to be confused with the plural form) are signed up. Will have two non-lifers with us
  • @AFKABartram Do I have to sign up somewhere or just turn up?
  • I'll sign up later tonite. Fairly certain Bailey and his minder are in too .
  • @AFKABartram Do I have to sign up somewhere or just turn up?

http://www.cact.org.uk/news/charlton-upbeats-day-is-back-9-mile-charity-walk/

You coming?
  • cabbles said:

Come on, if 3hrs walking with @cabbles listening to his dating exploits can't convince you, I don't know what can.

ha - my uncle yes, let me put it to him. He'll be pleased lifers are inquiring about him. If anything he fears everyone will think his efforts are just a token and that I've been calling him weak.....he is weak, missing 3 games already this season, that's not 31 years unblemished
    Might be worth getting Michae Douglas along. Good PR for him personally and the pending film.
  • All talk of late has been around protests etc, but there is a real opportunity for everyone to balance it out by supporting something positive.

The Upbeats have their annual walk on the morning of the Derby game 16th April. We'll do a big sponsorship appeal day nearer the time which worked so successfully last year, but what they really need more than anything now is people committing to the 9 mile walk starting from Sparrows Lane.

A number of us did this last year, it was a fantastic day and the miles cover a lot easier than you think walking and chatting with a group. This year Bob Bolder, Simon Webster and Paul Mortimer have already committed to it, so a great way of doing something supportive, enjoyable and side by side with some Charlton legends. And the pint at the end of it tastes superb!

So who is in? Who has a free diary on Saturday morning the 16th April (most of you) and is prepared to form a little Charlton Life troupe and listen to my bad jokes over nine miles (lights going out like a Dowie lookalike on Take Me Out).

Everyone loves everything about the Upbeats, but it is the success / failure of events like this that impact on their future. Please consider giving up a few hours on a Saturday morning to help support them and show that the Charlton spirit isn't just alive in protests.

All talk of late has been around protests etc, but there is a real opportunity for everyone to balance it out by supporting something positive.

• Tracey said:

I am in!!! All the players have kindly generously sponsored me to do this walk for a great cause. Look forward to meeting everyone and support the Upbeats!

good for them ... is Carl sponsoring you?
  • Definitely as he felt the pain last year