Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Plumbing/Overflow advice

My overflow at the top of my house, outside bathroom window seems to run even when we 100% ensure that our baths or sinks don't reach the overflow level.

Any ideas CL plumbing experts?

Cheers

Comments

• Sounds like your tank overflow if it's top of house, have a look in loft?

Not a plumber but had similar problem in past.
  • Yeah, i'd say tank.
  • Jose Riga is the man to call for all your gap plugging needs.....although expect it to leak after a week or so.
  • Replace or straighten/fix ballcock?
  • DA9 said:

Replace or straighten/fix ballcock?

This
  • edited March 2016
    DA9 said:

Replace or straighten/fix ballcock?

When you lift the ballcock arm does the water inlet valve shut off and tank stops filling ? If yes adjust / bend arm slightly to ensure valve shuts off before water reaches overflow
    If no replace ;)
    Good luck
  • cheers all, will be up in the loft later to check
  • I'm not a plumber but...

An overflow that goes to a pipe outside is nothing to do with the overflow on a bath or sink. The overflow on a bath or sink goes to the same pipe as the plug-hole of that bath or sink does (it's usually just below where the plug goes)

By 'outside the bathroom window' - is this overflow pipe above or below the level of the toilet cistern? (assuming the toilet is in the bathroom)

If it's a bit below the level of the toilet cistern, then it's more likely the ballcock / valve in the toilet cistern.

if it's higher than the toilet cistern, then it's the cold water tank in the loft.
  • Recommend that when you pull the ball valve arm up and the water stops completely and you decide to bend the ball arm that you consider this as only a temporary measure. If the valve is letting by it needs replacing.
  • Inlet valve on ballcock probably furred up with scale from hard water and not sealing off properly. Easy and cheap enough to replace.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm not a plumber but...

An overflow that goes to a pipe outside is nothing to do with the overflow on a bath or sink. The overflow on a bath or sink goes to the same pipe as the plug-hole of that bath or sink does (it's usually just below where the plug goes)

By 'outside the bathroom window' - is this overflow pipe above or below the level of the toilet cistern? (assuming the toilet is in the bathroom)

If it's a bit below the level of the toilet cistern, then it's more likely the ballcock / valve in the toilet cistern.

if it's higher than the toilet cistern, then it's the cold water tank in the loft.

its above, just below the guttering, so must be cold tank
  • Yes it's your main tank which is filled directly from the mains. The valve/ballcock needs replacing but if the overflow is significant and causing a problem then until that is done you can turn off the mains water (probably by the stopcock in the road) but this is very temporary as the same mains feed is needed to fill your toilet. (Had a similar problem recently)
  • Or header tank from the central heating system, same problem.
  • Tank level was lapping at the overflow outlet, had the Mrs run the bath cold tap a few times so I could watch it refill, nothing actually wrong with the ballcock/arm (well, doesn't seem to be) so got a water bottle and funnel and bailed out a bit of water and retested the refill levels a few times, shuts off nicely a cm or so from overflow now, rather than the mm it was before.
    Thanks for all your advice, will monitor it next few weeks to make sure.
  • The ballcock, tank, bath and taps seem to be doing a good job. So sell them to neighbours. Don't tell anyone how much you got for them.

Find some cheap replacements that work in a completely different type of house in Belgium and use those instead.

If the new ones work well, sell them and replace them as before. Remember: the cheaper the better.

A few days a week, instead of using your water yourself, sell it to the NHS for them to use.

If it all goes wrong and the house floods causing damage to every room, simply blame your visitors.
  • Has a plumber with 20 yrs experience. I strongly recommend you get the ballvalve changed asap .every time you run a bath the cold water from the tank fills the hot water tank so if you're using every day you won't notice the drips but if you go on holiday the valve will constantly drip and will seep down the side of the tank causing damage to your ceiling possibly causing collapsing and causing further damage. Am not trying to scare munger you .But I see this problem a lot. If you pm me your address I send you a ball valve. Thanks Tony.
  • Cheers Tony, will pm you, my cousin is a plumber (multi trade) he is coming over to give it a double check, appreciate it.