Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The mess we're in - Roland's weird (meaning unique) transfer policy

See the attached table of players who have joined since January 2014.

This is what football on the cheap looks like, with our "3rd lowest budget in the division" (although I seem to recall £9m being mentioned as spending on players.)

Since Roland took over, a staggering 45 players have been signed, of which 31 were either free transfers or loans. Of the 45, 23 have come and gone.

This lays bare the problems at the club. Surely, to be competitive in any division, you need the cohesion of a team playing as a unit, with a solid spine or core of players who are the backbone of the matchday team.

Of the 23 players who arrived and then left, only 10 stayed for the duration of their deals, with 14 of these mustering only 10 or less appearances (and 11 of which played 5 or less games)

Of the 22 players who are still with the club, 10 have played less than 10 games. Of the 22, currently 4 are out injured, 2 are on loan with other clubs, 3 are playing in the U21s and 1 (Sarr) is whereabouts unknown.

So that means of the 45 players, 24 have played less than 10 games for the club.

This is what we have become - a hotch potch of journeyman footballers, with no allegiance to Charlton (bar some notable exceptions) and due to the bizarre transfer policy of the club, they have not been given the opportunity to bond as a cohesive team unit.

This is why we are where we are in the table.

Well done, Roland.

Comments

• We are turning in to Parma! And that didn't work out well for them!
  • Too true, though didn't Sarr play at the Ebbsfleet game?
  • "What a way to run a railroad" (language that speaks to reach the real heart of the club)
  • rananegra said:

Too true, though didn't Sarr play at the Ebbsfleet game?

Katrien was thinking of him...
  • edited March 2016
    Koc?

Edit: I mean he's missing. Not a proposal to flash.
  • rananegra said:

Too true, though didn't Sarr play at the Ebbsfleet game?

Yep
  • edited March 2016
    Simple statistics and analysis but so very telling. I genuinely wonder if Roland was to read this that even he wouldn't see the lunacy of it all. If for no other reason than to highlight the waste of money and resources.
  • It's a crap version of what Doncaster did a few years ago, sign a load of old has been's in the hope that we can sell on a few for a profit at the end of the season. Only problem is all the players we are signing are cack. What a depressing list of players that is. Only a handful worthy enough to wear the shirt.
  • edited March 2016

See the attached table of players who have joined since January 2014.

This is what football on the cheap looks like, with our "3rd lowest budget in the division" (although I seem to recall £9m being mentioned as spending on players.)

Since Roland took over, a staggering 45 players have been signed, of which 31 were either free transfers or loans. Of the 45, 23 have come and gone.

This lays bare the problems at the club. Surely, to be competitive in any division, you need the cohesion of a team playing as a unit, with a solid spine or core of players who are the backbone of the matchday team.

Of the 23 players who arrived and then left, only 10 stayed for the duration of their deals, with 14 of these mustering only 10 or less appearances (and 11 of which played 5 or less games)

Of the 22 players who are still with the club, 10 have played less than 10 games. Of the 22, currently 4 are out injured, 2 are on loan with other clubs, 3 are playing in the U21s and 1 (Sarr) is whereabouts unknown.

So that means of the 45 players, 24 have played less than 10 games for the club.

This is what we have become - a hotch potch of journeyman footballers, with no allegiance to Charlton (bar some notable exceptions) and due to the bizarre transfer policy of the club, they have not been given the opportunity to bond as a cohesive team unit.

Well done, Roland.

It's almost as if some individuals (meaning Roly) are intent on proving that their flawed philosophies are correct rather than supporting the team.

Some individuals (meaning RD and KM) seem to want the club to fail.
  • Roger Johnson - so good we signed him twice.
  • Sponsored links:

• Would be interesting to see a spreadsheet like this of backroom team comings and goings.
  • edited March 2016
    What's more depressing is if you remove the ones that aren't good enough, you would have saved more than enough money to keep some of our existing players - and our fortunes would've been much different. Combine it with keeping Powell, Riga or making a British appointment - and I genuinely think we could've been challenging for Top 6.

Goalie: Hendo / Hamer / Pope

Defence: Solly / Tex / Bauer / Morrison / Dervite / Fox / Wiggins / THD / [Gomez ?]

Midfield: Harriott / Stephens / Jacko / [Poyet ?] / Diarra / Cousins / Kashi / Gudmunsson

Attack: Kermo / Vetokele / Lookman

Only 6 of the newer players included there, and potentially Gomez and Poyet if he could've done more to keep them. Other than that - they were all players on the books. Looking at that squad, the only improvements you'd require are back-up players for RB, LW and RW.

The spine of a very good team there, and whilst it's composed of a few network players - they're mainly supplementing what we already had on the books. Definitely cheaper than the money that's been spent, and definitely stronger with a better team spirit.

Oh what could've been if Roland had come in, sorted the contracts out, strengthened the team and backed a manager properly.
  • Looking at the list I can see where it all went wrong....Cumberbatch. If he hadn't been selfish and gone off to be Sherlock Holmes we wouldn't be in this position.

Elementary my dear Ricky.

• Anyone even thinking of buying a season ticket for next year take a long look at that list, before you fill out any forms. These are the players that this regime think are suitable for the Championship. Nego given a 3.5 year contract, Parzyszek 4.5 bloody years, Tucadean 3 years, LePoint 2.5 years, Berditch 4 years, Sarr 5 years. How many games will we ever get out of the injury prone others some of which it’s not proven whether they are up to it or not due to the fact they have so rarely been seen. And I’d quite forgotten about Onyewu. God knows who will be brought in next season if {…} we are in Division Three.
  • HarryLime said:

Anyone even thinking of buying a season ticket for next year take a long look at that list, before you fill out any forms. These are the players that this regime think are suitable for the Championship. Nego given a 3.5 year contract, Parzyszek 4.5 bloody years, Tucadean 3 years, LePoint 2.5 years, Berditch 4 years, Sarr 5 years. How many games will we ever get out of the injury prone others some of which it’s not proven whether they are up to it or not due to the fact they have so rarely been seen. And I’d quite forgotten about Onyewu. God knows who will be brought in next season if {…} we are in Division Three.

Tudgay on loan wasn't too bad though....
  • Perfect work force management from a fine businessman. Have a workforce on as low a wage as possible, with numbers limited so no one under utilised and when anyone off sick or workload increases bring in a temp.

Trouble is in football you pay less you get less quality players, managers and executives, or ones that are injury prone. Also the temps can't be bothered and many are lent out because just back from injury.

Duchatalet does failure
  • After yesterday, yet another example of what you get with a ragtag of journeyman footballers. No points.
  • I've said it before but the Uzbek Second Division is cram packed with talent that a Manager from the Indian Premiership could build a Charlton team around.

Onwards and downwards!
  • IAgree said:

I've said it before but the Uzbek Second Division is cram packed with talent that a Manager from the Indian Premiership could build a Charlton team around.

Another three years and we might be longing for an Indian manager buying it bargain-basement Uzbeks as a way back into league football
  • Sponsored links:

• mogodon said:

IAgree said:

I've said it before but the Uzbek Second Division is cram packed with talent that a Manager from the Indian Premiership could build a Charlton team around.

Another three years and we might be longing for an Indian manager buying it bargain-basement Uzbeks as a way back into league football
    Why wait?!
  • A typical example of the clueless strategy of Roland is Tony Watt. Starts the season with us, shipped out on loan, comes back for one game and then out at another club again.
  • Great reminder that list of how badly things have been run.

Also reminded me of how heavily we relied on Liege rejects last season Bulot, Buyens and TBH
  • cafcinse6 said:

A typical example of the clueless strategy of Roland is Tony Watt. Starts the season with us, shipped out on loan, comes back for one game and then out at another club again.

He transferred him to Charlton for free just before he sold SL and then loaned him out with a future fee agreed no doubt? A quick 2 million(Guess) back straight away. Watt was always about making money.
  • I only saw TBH play a few times and I thought he was shit.

• See the attached table of players who have joined since January 2014.

Well done, Roland.

Excellent. Great work and spot on.
  • Looking at the list I can see where it all went wrong....Cumberbatch. If he hadn't been selfish and gone off to be Sherlock Holmes we wouldn't be in this position. He could have solved the mystery that is Charlton Athletic.

Ben Watson left years ago, so that wouldn't have worked ;-)