Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Richard Murray Club Chairman

Comments

• I am supportive of Richard Murray - the only really decent football team we have had in the last 55 years since I started going was created by him, Varney and Curbs. Because of his £investment and the talents of the others he brought on board we watched a team full of internationals for almost 10 years - the other 45 years the team has been perennially awful with the odd momentary exception. 
    This latest nonsense with supporters siding with that tosser Simon Jordan just because he said something sensible for 10 minutes on a radio show doesn’t compare in any way with the contribution of Richard Murray. 
    Fred and Rose West were once very kind to a puppy. Just saying.
    I am deducing that you are saying that RD and RM are deviant lovers, that there are bodies buried under the centre circle (as well as the ones that were ordered to perform on top - for all we know the same ones too) and that RD won't sell in case they are discovered.

It's certainly a theory that hadn't occurred to me but one perhaps worth pursuing.
  • Jesus wept. 
  • edited March 2019
    Of course you have neglected to acknowledge that there have been bidders, and Duchatelet wants about £50m which is more than what people are willing to pay. It is also much more than what he paid for the club despite all the damage he has done to it. Any disgust for Murray is not pathetic at all, but it is right to acknowledge the good things he did. It is equally right to expect him to come out and speak up for what is right, given that he must now be aware Roland is not the full ticket. Is it that everybody else has worked that out, but not him? Whilst he remains silent, he is the pathetic one.

But I do believe he has affection for the club, and if he were to speak out against Duchatelet, it would be significant - given that he has been an ally. I would welcome this, and his place in history would be a little less tainted IMO. 
  • Of course you have neglected to acknowledge that there have been bidders, and Duchatelet wants about £50m which is more than what people are willing to pay. It is also much more than what he paid for the club despite all the damage he has done to it. Any disgust for Murray is not pathetic at all, but it is right to acknowledge the good things he did. It is equally right to expect him to come out and speak up for what is right, given that he must now be aware Roland is not the full ticket. Is it that everybody else has worked that out, but not him? Whilst he remains silent, he is the pathetic one.

But I do believe he has affection for the club, and if he were to speak out against Duchatelet, it would be significant - given that he has been an ally. I would welcome this, and his place in history would be a little less tainted IMO. 
    He has not spoken out against Roland thus far, and I very much doubt he will. 
  • edited March 2019
    Neither do I, which puts him firmly in the pathetic category.
  • It is hard to believe that people can still be Duchatelet apologists. I think it is a delusion that they want to be seen as being more worldly and clever than anybody else, when the opposite rings out in the real world.
  • Sponsored links:

• RM has nothing to gain by saying anything more in public. He must now recognise that all the good work under his "stewardship" has been undone - and more.

He has made pronouncements previously about RD and the takeover specifically that have been proven as being nothing more than party propaganda - so better for him to lay low and avoid the confrontation isn't it? He's not bothered in the least what true Charlton supporters think of him or the situation we find ourselves in because he has his own interests to look after.
  • I think RM speaking out would likely be a waste of time but after the owners rant on the website yesterday I could see him resigning his Directorship.  

He surely does not want to be associated with an individual whom is now so openly mad.  His credibility with many fans has already gone, by hanging on to his Directorship now his credibility in the wider game will evaporate too.
  • ColinTat said:
    Honestly any disgust towards Murray is pathetic.  Fine criticise the man for the mistakes he made, but maybe he's not come out and opposed Duchatelet because he actually knows what it's like to run a club heading for catastrophic bankruptcy.  Stating there are buyers out there, is very different to there being viable bids.  With the illogical investment needed in a non-prem football club, us as a club will struggle to attract sovereign wealth or the billionaires needed.  We'd all love Varney's consortium to have succeeded, fact is you need tens of millions to just run the losses of a championship club.  Murray alienating Duchatelet has no influence in compelling him to sell to consortium's whose structuring of their offer appears not to be able to pay an amount that would need matching for 2-3 years over-spend in the champ.

All these people taking an oppositional or aggressive stance to Duchatelet's disinterested, disintegrating, and regularly changing strategy, only have the financial commitment of the cost of a season ticket.  Sure they have emotional capital, but our choices from the terraces are quickly forgotten when they fail. 

Murray clearly loves the club. If I bumped into him I'd shake his hand for his role 20 years ago.  I'd also shake his hand with the pragmatism of knowing that when Curbishley left, many of the possible alternative choices made would have led to relegation and financial struggles.
    ColinTat said:
    Honestly any disgust towards Murray is pathetic.  Fine criticise the man for the mistakes he made, but maybe he's not come out and opposed Duchatelet because he actually knows what it's like to run a club heading for catastrophic bankruptcy.  Stating there are buyers out there, is very different to there being viable bids.  With the illogical investment needed in a non-prem football club, us as a club will struggle to attract sovereign wealth or the billionaires needed.  We'd all love Varney's consortium to have succeeded, fact is you need tens of millions to just run the losses of a championship club.  Murray alienating Duchatelet has no influence in compelling him to sell to consortium's whose structuring of their offer appears not to be able to pay an amount that would need matching for 2-3 years over-spend in the champ.

All these people taking an oppositional or aggressive stance to Duchatelet's disinterested, disintegrating, and regularly changing strategy, only have the financial commitment of the cost of a season ticket.  Sure they have emotional capital, but our choices from the terraces are quickly forgotten when they fail. 

Murray clearly loves the club. If I bumped into him I'd shake his hand for his role 20 years ago.  I'd also shake his hand with the pragmatism of knowing that when Curbishley left, many of the possible alternative choices made would have led to relegation and financial struggles.
    Colin is that you ?
  • edited March 2019
    Richard Murray backed the wrong Horse,
    and continued to back the wrong horse even when the blinkered animal started running in the wrong direction. 

For Richard Murray to go from hero to zero with the majority of fans took some doing, but his decision making from the Dowie appointment onwards, was one poor decision after another. Didn't he read the reports of the fans hatred towards RD at Standard Liege as news of his interest came through ?

Richard Murray and his involvement  in CAFC Part one was the Epsom Derby.

Richard Murray and his involvement in CAFC part two have been a class 7 seller at Yarmouth.

• People are assuming RM would disagree with the statement. 

We assumed in the past that he'd be outraged by other things Katie and Roland did. But he wasn't, he was on their side.

Unless he says or does otherwise, I'll assume he's still on side with Roland.
  • Possibly Murray has adopted the Denis Thatcher mantra  "Better keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all doubt."

Roland clearly hasn't.

• Sponsored links:

• Have seen the video,dont forget this took place at the beginning,non of us could foresee at this moment what was going to happen,probably including Murray.

• Obviously,everyone on here slating Murray for not speaking out against Rd has access to Richards daily involvement in the club.They are aware of every conversion which takes place at board level,and can relate word for word the discussions which take place.Having lived through the Murray period,I can say that this man dedicated his life for a long period to this club,and probably still does.I do not think for one minute he patronises RD to the extent that many think he does,just because he does not make public his opinions (like Taylor for instance)does not mean he is in agreement with what is going on.Richard is a man of great dignity and if the truth is known is probably responsible for what little stability we have left.
    Do yourself a favour and have a butchers at this.
    https://youtu.be/PD3vZvopE24

30-40 seconds in should do it. 

Murray is still a part of the club and needs to start acting like the statesman you claim he is.
    This is so cringyworthy watching this.
    I can't face this. 
  • RM has nothing to gain by saying anything more in public. He must now recognise that all the good work under his "stewardship" has been undone - and more.

He has made pronouncements previously about RD and the takeover specifically that have been proven as being nothing more than party propaganda - so better for him to lay low and avoid the confrontation isn't it? He's not bothered in the least what true Charlton supporters think of him or the situation we find ourselves in because he has his own interests to look after.
    Opposite of the truth. Duchatelet and Murray believed the club was being by sold last February, as did the professional advisers. Murray is fixated on his reputation and legacy - the £2.6m he is owed will be a much lesser concern.
  • edited March 2019
    Have seen the video,dont forget this took place at the beginning,non of us could foresee at this moment what was going to happen,probably including Murray.

Does the same apply to his active support of the spivs in 2012-13? Have you read the court judgement setting out their agenda?

Opposite of the truth. Duchatelet and Murray believed the club was being by sold last February, as did the professional advisers. Murray is fixated on his reputation and legacy - the £2.6m he is owed will be a much lesser concern.

I assumed he was just hanging in for his money...his reputation was shot to pieces a long time ago.....

The professional advisors have done very well out of Charlton the past years.

One would have thought that, if the £2.6m was not so much a concern and he was more worried about his "reputation and legacy", he would be a little less keen on defending Duchatlet and perhaps even consider coming out publicly against him? Because, as things stand, in most supporters eyes, he is, by association, responsible for all that this regime has brought upon the Club. 
  • edited March 2019
    RM has nothing to gain by saying anything more in public. He must now recognise that all the good work under his "stewardship" has been undone - and more.

I assumed he was just hanging in for his money...his reputation was shot to pieces a long time ago.....

Then you don’t understand Murray. There are three others owed more than £1m - they haven’t behaved like him. I’m sure he’d like the cash, but it’s not his main motivation. He’s a gambler who began to lose and wouldn’t leave the table but the stake is his reputation.

Then you don’t understand Murray. There are three others owed more than £1m - they haven’t behaved like him. I’m sure he’d like the cash, but it’s not his main motivation. He’s a gambler who began to lose and wouldn’t leave the table but the stake is his reputation.
    There is no stake. His reputation has long since departed.
  • the sad thing is a Murray lead group may be our only way away from Roland.

its the only logical reason I can think of why he has kept quite now does not want to get on the wrong side of Roland.

I hope not I think we need a clean sweep without Murray hanging around but if he did manged to bring on some decent owners he may save some form of reputation.

Is there any chance that Richard is part of the British Group looking to purchase the club do we know?

As mentioned above it would explain why he's been quiet