Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lookman

Apologies if anyone else has remarked on this, but events in relation to the "boy wonder" have certainly been a bit odd this week.

According to our lame duck CEO, part of the unique footballing experience is for us to watch Premier League stars of the future playing for Charlton. A couple of weeks ago, the club was able to trumpet the good news that young Lookman had signed a new long term contract which runs until 2020.

Yet, after the MK Dons game Riga was not really able to explain Lookman's late arrival on the pitch - other than some incoherent nonsense about maybe not being fit, maybe not being able to start "this kind of game" and all of this to do with having just signed the new contract.

Not sure what we fans should make of this, but it all smacks of protecting our asset so he can be sold in the summer - which makes a nonsense of Meire's "stars of the future" guff, and then attempting to placate "customers" with good news stories about extending contacts.

Just when you think things can't get any worse, they do.

Comments

• Has something happened to this player that we are not aware of? Came into the 1st team like breath of fresh air, doing all the right things and scoring, then he has an injury and when he comes back he is not the same player. I was disappointed in him against Boro, plus the fact he spends more time on the bench. Watching Marcus-Rashford for Man U now, same age, came into the side scoring and is still playing well regularly. I know suspicions lie on him going uninjured at the end of the season, but there seems more to it than that, even though he has signed a new contract.
  • In a relegation battle against teams that appear to have picked up form why risk a player who could potentially be sold for the difference of income between championship and league one.
  • Joshuk87 said:

In a relegation battle against teams that appear to have picked up form why risk a player who could potentially be sold for the difference of income between championship and league one.

Exactly. Probably a deal lined up already.
  • If he had another 10 mins that night we would have won the game.
  • When he came off at pretty much bang on the hour against Bolton I thought it was very odd
  • The boy clearly has something about him. I think we probably expect too much from him, and maybe even have latched on to him being the one shining light in a very poor season.

I have no doubt he will make a good impression and kick on at his next club.

Henry makes some very good points above.
  • Sponsored links:

• Accept he's young and learning, but that said he is also one of the few causes for optimism. Unless he has an injury problem, I imagine, like any young player, all he wants to do is play. And even if you accept he cannot last 90 minutes, surely he can be 'risked' for more than 10-minute cameos in lost causes? Our priority in recent weeks has been to stay up. Clearly someone thinks it's actually to make sure a cash-cow doesn't get injured. Oh, other than when Sky TV's cameras are there to whet the appetite of Premier League clubs.
  • dickplumb said:

Nothing wrong with the player, everything wrong with the treatment from Riga and Duchatelet.

I'm guessing this is the case with Rojo too, Dick ?

:wink:

• In Wayne Rooney's first ever season with Everton he only started on 14 occasions whilst he appeared from the bench 19 times.

Lookman is only 17-years old, I'm not saying that he's going to be as good as Rooney but we've got remember that he's just a kid and we need to ensure that he doesnt burn out too quickly (i.e. Michael Owen style)
  • Joshuk87 said:

In a relegation battle against teams that appear to have picked up form why risk a player who could potentially be sold for the difference of income between championship and league one.

Depends if he has a buy out clause. Play him for 90 mins each game to end of season and we will get more for him in summer,
  • se9addick said:

When he came off at pretty much bang on the hour against Bolton I thought it was very odd

He limped off after clearly pulling his hamstring.

• Oggy Red said:

se9addick said:

When he came off at pretty much bang on the hour against Bolton I thought it was very odd

He limped off after clearly pulling his hamstring.

He also pulled something in the Wolves game (when I was there). Should that happen so frequently to such a young player - if he is being managed properly?
  • In Wayne Rooney's first ever season with Everton he only started on 14 occasions whilst he appeared from the bench 19 times.

Lookman is only 17-years old, I'm not saying that he's going to be as good as Rooney but we've got remember that he's just a kid and we need to ensure that he doesnt burn out too quickly (i.e. Michael Owen style)

To be fair though, Rooney had better players than Reza getting in the team ahead of him.
  • He started in the televised game against Boro...
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:

He started in the televised game against Boro...

And why risk bringing on an injured player when 3-0 down with hardly any time left on the game? If he is that injured then don't play him
  • Starting for u21's today
  • JiMMy 85 said:

He started in the televised game against Boro...

'shop window'
  • Dizzle said:

Starting for u21's today

It defies logic! If he only played minutes on Saturday, why is he able to start and play now?
  • I am at the ground at the moment. I am amazed that Lookman is playing. It appears that Riga is not playing him through choice which is even more amazing.
  • Many scouts there? Would explain matters.
  • dickplumb said:

I am at the ground at the moment. I am amazed that Lookman is playing. It appears that Riga is not playing him through choice which is even more amazing.

Riga thinks Reza is better . Who are we customers to argue ?
  • Dizzle said:

Starting for u21's today

• we need to ensure that he doesnt burn out too quickly (i.e. Michael Owen style)

Why should we be concerned if he's burnt out by the time he's 25? He'll be long gone from here by then. He's either good enough now, or he isn't.

It's a bit like starving yourself to death, yet having food in the cupboard that you're saving for later...........
  • we need to ensure that he doesnt burn out too quickly (i.e. Michael Owen style)

Why should we be concerned if he's burnt out by the time he's 25? He'll be long gone from here by then. He's either good enough now, or he isn't.

It's a bit like starving yourself to death, yet having food in the cupboard that you're saving for later...........
    But if we use him constantly now we risk having another case of him hobbling off with a Hamstring like against Bolton.