Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• RIP

The Grimm Reaper is harvesting a rich crop lately...
  • Very sad news! My dad's a big fan of the band, RIP Keith
  • I didn't quite get ELP in the same way that I did other prog bands of the era but having seen the Pictures At An Exhibition film, I must say Keith Emerson was a great showman and performer as well as an extremely talented musician. RIP
  • edited March 2016
    I remember seeing ELP at the Oval Cricket ground. They had two large wooden tanks either side of the stage that would look pretty corny by todays standards but they could put on a superb show.
  • Loved ELP. Saw them at Lewisham Odeon on 28th March 71 (had to google that) 45 years ago jeez. This was before they became big enough to require three artic lorries to ferry their gear around. Saw them years later when they were huge, but enjoyed Lewisham more.

Also lucky enough to see the Led Zep reunion concert with my son. As we entered the auditorium I rather grandly informed my son that the keyboard player in the band playing sounded a bit like a poor man’s Keith Emerson - only to find out it was him. Well dad’s are meant to be embarrassing aren’t they?

RIP Keith.
  • Reports are saying he shot himself.
  • Another one gone....my teenage years hero's are going one by one this year. RIP Keith
  • Sponsored links:

• I remember seeing ELP at the Oval Cricket ground. They had two large wooden tanks either side of the stage that would look pretty corny by todays standards but they could put on a superb show.

That was the Melody maker poll winner concert, with Focus. They really were on top of there game at that concert. When they played the IOW they set the stage alight which was there premier.
    I also saw them at the Lewisham Odeon, pretty much the most accurate of any group that could recreate there studio sound...... but almost a bit sterile in that fact. Emerson was a great showman, which I felt got in the way of his very accomplished playing. I think they were Jim Davidson's favourite band?
    Pictures at an exhibition was very accomplished, but overblown, still like there first album.
    Knew someone at art college that were close to the band, in my graphics group, the tales of excess were quite entertaining if only half true!

• I have visions of Keith Emerson perched on a cloud while playing a giant set of keyboards
  • Saw him several times when he was with 'The Nice' and 'ELP' .. one time @ the old Mistral Club in Beckenham I stood about 3 feet from him as he did his party piece of sticking knives into the keyboard and throwing his Hammond about to engender feedback during 'The Karelia Suite' .. a terrific keyboard man, a great showman and an English eccentric .. R I P Keith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnLdgEJ6cE8
  • edited March 2016
    RIP Keith, I hope they keep the pianos in tune up there. We have lost a brilliant musician and composer.
  • Reports are saying he shot himself.

Report also saying he had 'abnormal growth in the colon'.

Maybe he had major health issues and a lot of pain?
    Some people reach the end of their endurance.

• Oggy Red said:

Reports are saying he shot himself.

Report also saying he had 'abnormal growth in the colon'.

Maybe he had major health issues and a lot of pain?
    Some people reach the end of their endurance.

a k a cancer .. the report said, if I recall, that he had the growth treated recently .. however, if that is so and if the growth/cancer was not spotted early enough, it is very hard to treat and/or cure .. I had colon cancer some years ago. Thank the lord it was diagnosed and chopped out VERY early, there is always an uncertainty though as with any cancer
  • RobRob
    edited March 2016
    This has shocked me. ELP were my favourite band back in the day. I saw them a few times but where and when is a bit foggy now through a drug induced haze :smiley:. A brilliant musician.

RIP Keith.
  • They used to have a rock disco at the Falcon, and it always finished with The Nice's "America".

"A most distinguished group from England - the Nice" that's how they are introduced on the Fillmore West live album

RIP Keith.
  • ELP were bad ,in fact they were very bad ,but not THAT bad surely ?
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we played this version before the Red Red Robin or just around 94/95 time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgpnlLz7WR0

The sad irony is I was only playing this on You Tube earlier this evening and wasn't aware of his passing.
  • Loved the Nice. ELP were too mainstream for me. Wonderful showman. Rondo was just great.
  • RobRob
    edited March 2016

Loved the Nice. ELP were too mainstream for me. Wonderful showman. Rondo was just great.

The early stuff certainly wasn't mainstream. Have you listened to their first album or Tarkus?
  • ashley said:

ELP were bad ,in fact they were very bad ,but not THAT bad surely ?

care to explain why?
  • RIP Keith.

Goodbye to a common man
  • ashley said:

care to explain why?
    Because they were shit

• ashley said:

care to explain why?
    ashley said:

ashley said:

care to explain why?
    Because they were shit

thanks.