Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The future.

Assuming this regime continues for the foreseeable future is it not a matter of absolute urgency that the regime now plans for next season in league one?
We were reminded by our abject performance at Colchester United (the FA cup game where Fraeye and Katrien had to escape the ground hidden in a laundry basket shoved into the kit van) that we are in no way too good for league one.
It is complete idiocy NOT to plan, and not to realise how tough it is going to be to avoid further relegation let alone anything else.

My first thought is to start by reappointing Chris Powell.

Comments

• The future? A bit more golf and longer walks with my dog I suspect. Maybe a new hobby or two.
  • edited March 2016
    Nice thought but If I was CP, wild horses wouldn't get me anywhere near this basket case of an establishment and realistically can you see it happening?

Don't worry though I'm sure RD's stooges are working away furiously with their laptops and spreadsheets in the network bunkers across the North Sea, he doesn't do failure you know.
  • In the mortal words of the great Yazz, The only way is up, baby
  • The future ain't what it used to be...
  • They underestimated how tough this league was and they are still doing so. They will underestimate League One because they will simply never learn. We'll be lucky if we're not in the relegation zone of League One by this time next year (yeah I'm this pessimistic). I'd be absolutely delighted if we could have SCP back but... the manager is not where the fundamental problem lies. With Duchatelet (the arrogant control freak) and the other Belgians (the incompetent CEO and scouting people) in charge, SCP wouldn't be able to reproduce the success he had here four years ago.
  • As much as a shite franchised club with no history, the MK Dons are, at least they have a future.
  • A plan..what is this word "Plan" you speak of?
  • Part of me thinks that relegation will mean RD sells up. Wanting Charlton to stay up, but with RD, vs relegation and him selling up leaves me feeling somewhat disloyal in much preferring the latter.

Up until last night (for some strange reason) I hadn't entertained the thought that he will still be here when we're in league 1. Not sure if I can stand more of the same.

The future with RD still here will just be the same old same old.....
  • edited March 2016

A plan..what is this word "Plan" you speak of?

It must be the same plan at the Battle of Austerlitz.

The evening before the Austrian and Russian Generals met up and put a plan together that would win them the battle, sadly they didnt think for one moment that Napoleon wouldnt stick to that and would of course have his own plan of success.

Seems the same with Roland... He's got this magnificent plan to get us into the Premier League yet thinks all the other Championship clubs will just wave us through and let us go through with our plan... Instead if he thought a bit harder he'd realise that all the other Championship clubs have their own plans to get to the Premier League so for his to work, he'd need to adjust it as the season goes on!!
  • Over the past couple of years we have proved that good football teams are based on a group of competent players who stick together and become better as a team than they are as individuals.

This is the ONLY way to be successful on the sort of budget available to clubs like Charlton.
    There is no reason why the break-even strategy cannot be achieved but swapping players around a network just doesn't work.

We must keep trying to bang this positive message into the heads of the regime.

Roland is unbelievably stupid but surely even he will eventually look up and see the sky! He cannot ignore the bleeding obvious forever!

• Sponsored links:

• To be fair though, most of the current bunch of shite we have on the books aren't from network clubs.

So they have learnt and expanded their horizons and are willing to bring in shite from anywhere now, not just the network.

I guess that's progress, of a kind.
  • A friend is a coach at Gillingham, and he said that if we play our youngsters, we will get smashed next season. With relegation, we will see all of our so-called "decent" players leave (either sold or, if that's not possible, loaned out), leaving a core of Jackson, Johnson, Solly, Harriott and the kids (but no Lookman...). We might think that that side is good enough to challenge, but they will not be able to over a 46 game season....Nothing will improve until we get the regime out!
  • edited March 2016

Roland is unbelievably stupid but surely even he will eventually look up and see the sky! He cannot ignore the bleeding obvious forever!

To be able to see the sky Two sheds has got to get his head out of his ar*e first!
  • Pedro45 said:

A friend is a coach at Gillingham, and he said that if we play our youngsters, we will get smashed next season. With relegation, we will see all of our so-called "decent" players leave (either sold or, if that's not possible, loaned out), leaving a core of Jackson, Johnson, Solly, Harriott and the kids (but no Lookman...). We might think that that side is good enough to challenge, but they will not be able to over a 46 game season....Nothing will improve until we get the regime out!

Is that the same Gillingham who played their first team against our kids in the Kent Senior Cup Final?
  • The future is very bleak indeed. More and more people will just give up.
  • Pedro45 said:

A friend is a coach at Gillingham, and he said that if we play our youngsters, we will get smashed next season. With relegation, we will see all of our so-called "decent" players leave (either sold or, if that's not possible, loaned out), leaving a core of Jackson, Johnson, Solly, Harriott and the kids (but no Lookman...). We might think that that side is good enough to challenge, but they will not be able to over a 46 game season....Nothing will improve until we get the regime out!

Is that the same Gillingham who played their first team against our kids in the Kent Senior Cup Final?
    Yes; they did that last year. This year they are currently third in League One after 35 games, having improved immensely from last year.

PS I don't want to big him up, but he wasn't there as a coach last year, so maybe he can claim some of the improvement is down to him!
  • The future is black and white.
  • Pedro45 said:

Pedro45 said:

Yes; they did that last year. This year they are currently third in League One after 35 games, having improved immensely from last year.

PS I don't want to big him up, but he wasn't there as a coach last year, so maybe he can claim some of the improvement is down to him!
    To be honest I dont think we'll romp to the League One title and return to the Championship with our squad of kids, I just dont think come Charlton Athletic v Accrington Stanley this time next season will we be needing three points to survive.

Reckon Mid-table will beckon
  • If he sells at the end of the season, if it's not nailed down - it's being packed up and going off with RD.
  • I must add that SCP is a great manager and a great person so I don't want to see him back really because his reputation would be tarnished here - if he failed, it wouldn't be his fault but RD's.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think we need to get away from the thought that Duchatelet has the usual aspirations of a football club owner.

His experiment is to run a football club at break even. That's it. I think he now knows that it's not possible to do that in The Championship and is therefore quite prepared and happy to try in League One.

He doesn't think his experiment is off course or doomed. His arrogance will allow him to think that his plan has been scuppered by bad luck and the collapse of FFP.

I don't think that he is even considering ditching this nonsense and selling up. He doesn't need to and won't until we reach a point where his plans failure is beyond doubt. Even at that point his delusional response will be that it's the system that is wrong. Where we will be by that point is anybody's guess.

I for one will now become a complete armchair fan breaking the habit of attending of 56 years.

I wish CARD every success but don't see any hope of shifting him. I really really hope I'm wrong.

• I probably don't need to explain very much why Powell post relegation would be a good appointment, but of course the assumption behind that is that the regime will change it's ways, give him a budget, and allow autonomy.
    It is going to be interesting to see how the regime spins relegation, and I don't envy Mel Baroni that challenge, but all the spin in the world will come to nothing compared with crap results and performances.
    There is a serious and realistic possibility that we can have a repeat of Colchester United forever.
  • Look at the positives...at least next season we'll be on quality level more on par with other network clubs so we can bring in more useless overseas players not upto standard thus saving RD money...

*openly weeping smiley face*
  • Oh fuck this is depressing. Really, really depressing.
  • Pedro45 said:

With a decent manager and scouting team who know L1, it would be easily possible to sign a core of decent experienced players to go with the kids, most players at that level are on short contracts, so it's not as if large fees would be needed.

That's what I would do...
  • Pedro45 said:

With a decent manager and scouting team who know L1, it would be easily possible to sign a core of decent experienced players to go with the kids, most players at that level are on short contracts, so it's not as if large fees would be needed.

That's what I would do...
    Players like Paul Hayes / Matt Taylor / Michael Morrison / Yann Kermorgant / Danny Hollands do you mean?
  • edited March 2016
    The future is League 2. I have tried to understand this megalomaniacs plan using my financial background and whichever way I look at it, it does not add up. Relegation will cost him a fortune, unless, of course, he sees us in a reduced capacity Valley (JS stand rebuilt with residential flats available to buy/lease within the new development), the sale of promising talented youngsters to Prem clubs to keep the club afloat coupled with the building of a squad for league 1 with journeymen, has-beens and u21's (what we have left).

When we get relegated next season to League 2, he will repeat this plan (except the JS stand bit) and make the club survive on the turnover of youngsters.

HOWEVER the big flaw in his plan is - the further we slip down the leagues the harder it will be to attract the new Lookman's of this world, they will go to our near neighbours, and West Ham etc. Once that revenue steam dries up and we are playing in front of 3-4k week in week out, he will either wait 6 months and apply to redevelop The Valley, or finally sell-up with the club owing him money, in the form of loans which will have to be paid back with interest!!
    There is no future with RD and co at the helm, we have to remove them or by 2020 we will be unrecognizable from how we are now, and sadly unrecoverable from the then situation.
    RD's plans were scuppered as soon as FFP fell through, he thought he could buck the trend, he thought he could prove his plan would work, he also thought he farted and found he shit himself, that's the lunacy of Roland f'ing Dutchelet!! We have to get him out to save our club!!
  • RD's plans were scuppered as soon as FFP fell through, he thought he could buck the trend, he thought he could prove his plan would work ...

Yup
  • Under any normal circumstances a club in our position would already be putting into place plans for next season. We are not MK Dons or Rotherham. We are far bigger and our aspirations would be to bounce back in one season and two at worst.

Trim the squad of players not considered good enough and sell those that either want to leave or are needed to accumulate a war chest. Identify good quality league one players and promote a few youngsters into the squad.

Does anyone think this is what we are doing ? Yes we will trim the squad and sell the small amount of quality we have but getting together a warchest and identifying good league one players is not going to happen.

We will spend the bare minimum and bring in foreign players who ultimately won't be up to scratch. Rely too heavily on youngsters and in January sign a loan or two and a couple of free journeyman.

Riga will get the blame and be replaced in February and so it goes on. I don't think we will suffer back to back relegations but I can easily see a poor mid table campaign.

• If Peter Varney and his investors are still there looking for an opportunity, and I think they are, they ought to come back in now with a solid takeover bid including the price (subject to due diligence).

No "we want to talk about investment". Say it loud and with hard cash backing it up.

Roland would be mad not to respond by at least talking. (I know, he is bloody barking, but gotta try).