Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Maria Sharapova Fails Drug Test

2»

Comments

• Options

Not buying that for one minute.

Also think she's just opened a can of worms and tennis will now become the latest sport to be embroiled in doping scandal.

I've got my suspicions about Nadal's conveniently timed knee injuries and incredible recoveries, for one.
    Interesting.
  • Options
    Saga Lout said:

I feel that as a penance, she should be made to spend a night with me.

she was getting on it not killing children FFS...

:wink:
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    I should imagine if you have been taking a drug for 10years you would not be able to stop taking it overnight, she would have been better off telling the authority's that she was taking it before it was banned, instead of just carrying on and ignoring e-mails etc.
  • Options

Not buying that for one minute.

Also think she's just opened a can of worms and tennis will now become the latest sport to be embroiled in doping scandal.

I've got my suspicions about Nadal's conveniently timed knee injuries and incredible recoveries, for one.
    i think a LOT of people feel the same mate
    Yup I've heard that one from various different people, some pretty close to the sport
  • Options
    As I allegedly said before...
    IA said:

Is there drug testing in tennis now?

Sweep sweep.
  • Options
    Remember a few years ago when a Brit snowboarder won a medal which was taken away when he failed a drugs test. Turned out he got a prescription asthma inhaler in the country which was the same as the one he usually got here, but the ingredients were different and contained a banned substance.
    Governing body fully accepted his explanation and didn't ban him but still took the medal away.
    These things can happen.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Remember a few years ago when a Brit snowboarder won a medal which was taken away when he failed a drugs test. Turned out he got a prescription asthma inhaler in the country which was the same as the one he usually got here, but the ingredients were different and contained a banned substance.
    Governing body fully accepted his explanation and didn't ban him but still took the medal away.
    These things can happen.

This article by Tom Fordyce on BBC Sport is a pretty good take on the situation...http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35754677

I'm not buying her story one bit.
  • Options

DRAddick said:

These things can happen.

This article by Tom Fordyce on BBC Sport is a pretty good take on the situation...http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35754677

I'm not buying her story one bit.
    Maybe now you will agree her punishment (which I outlined earlier)!
  • Options
    Better performance than Lance Armstrong i thought.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sounds like she's been cheating to me - drug is normally used for a short period. Don't buy her excuses...
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Clearly cheating - staged managed, carefully scripted press conference a healthy 28 year old athlete taking a medicine for heart failure - for ten years!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35754677
  • Options
    The way everyone is coming out in support of her, I wonder if it would be the same if one of the top Men came out in the same style.

Never known a drug cheater to be applauded by their fellow pros like this!!!
  • Options
    Apparently the drug involved was only put on the banned list this year and Sharapova claims she has been taking it for 10 years under prescription. None the less she's been caught so has to serve the time. As a side note I find Sharapova one of the most charmless sportswoman ever, a one dimensional (albeit very good) player.
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:

I should imagine if you have been taking a drug for 10years you would not be able to stop taking it overnight, she would have been better off telling the authority's that she was taking it before it was banned, instead of just carrying on and ignoring e-mails etc.

Don't put her in the same category as Katrien - I quite like Maria and feel quite sorry for her :wink:
  • Options
    still definitely would
  • Options
    IAgree said:

Clearly cheating - staged managed, carefully scripted press conference a healthy 28 year old athlete taking a medicine for heart failure - for ten years!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/tennis/35754677

Yes I agree. I though she was unfortunate before I read more of the facts.

It looks like deliberate cheating to me. She should be sued for her lifetimes winnings by the governing body.
  • Options
    What's interesting for me is, she wasn't technically cheating till 01 January 2016. I expect many athletes look at substances not on the banned list which have the potential to increase red blood cells or muscle growth or whatever, and simply take it till it gets put on the list. If she had just stopped early she should would have got away with it.

I don't buy the line that she was taking it for health purposes. It's not FDA approved and she hasn't lived in Russia for years. In a weird way, I do believe that she's been caught by an admin error, but I don't believe for one second her reasoning for taking the substances.
  • Options
    She was cheating. Taking a substance that was banned. I don't believe for one minute that she doesn't have someone who looks at every single substance she puts in her mouth that isn't beetroot soup. I bet there are a lot of "tennis stars" that will be shitting themselves right now.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    WADA are often two steps behind the drugs cheats but now they've caught up with this little Meldonium wheeze.

Sharapova has been cheating for years and now thanks to her bad admin she's been caught. I hope they throw the book at her (for that bare-faced lying press conference if nothing else).
  • Options
    French Open organisers have decided against giving her a wildcard place.
  • Options

French Open organisers have decided against giving her a wildcard place.

Good!
  • Options
    It seems the people who have taken the trouble to look at the details smell a rat. I haven't and her story seemed plausible, but if they smell a rat, there might be one here!
  • Options
    It's no time Roland is it? That would be terrible.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Apparently she can't get into the qualifiers either so she's has no way into the tournament . Good on the French federation.
  • Options
    I hope she doesn't get one for Wimbledon. I thought I had read she had but it's too early
  • Options
    A guy who was, until recently, Director General of a world wide anti-drug agency for 13 years overseeing many sports including the Olympics and tennis etc - was interviewed recently on NZ talkback.

Maria Sharapova only took her pills before grand slams and there is no way she should be allowed back on a tennis court.