Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Morrissey 'might stand in London Mayoral election'

The BBC reports that Steven Morrissey, a singer popular with some and a proponent of animal advocacy, has been asked by The Animal Welfare Party to stand as its London Mayoral candidate. I've voted for the AWP in the past and would happily place my 'X' in the box for Mr Happy. It's high time we had some decent advocacy for animals.

From the BBC report:
"Vanessa Hudson, the party leader, told BBC London: "We'd like to see the mayoral contest include the views of a candidate who would seek to champion London, not only as a world leading city for people but for animal welfare, too."
Morrissey, who has been vocal on the subject of animal rights and vegetarianism for many years, said in his statement: "What animal protectionists need to say is very well worth saying and well worth hearing.
"But we cannot just sit around waiting for establishment enlightenment. The sanctimonious disaster of animal agriculture cannot be allowed to go on forever, because its widespread impact is hellish".

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35744837

Comments

• Shouldn't allow Mancs to run for mayor.
  • twit needs ducking in Salford docks
  • Shouldn't allow Mancs to run for mayor.

We let a Yank! :wink:
  • There are only a few twats more ridiculous than Boris, no Morrisey is one of them.
  • Anything to keep sis like that out the countryside
  • I'm miserable now
  • Apart from fluffy bunnies, what are their strategy for the government of London?
  • Apart from fluffy bunnies, what are their strategy for the government of London?

Not a bad strategy. Didn't one get elected last time? :smile:
  • Sponsored links:

Release wolves because they actually roamed the streets of London before man killed them off 850 years ago
    Give feral pigeons a free buspass
    Priority housing for homeless rats

Release wolves because they actually roamed the streets of London before man killed them off 850 years ago
    And a distraction for the wet left who might be tempted....are the Hamster freedom party standing ?
  • Might work? Morrissey piling into Islam over their 'need' for ritual Halal slaughter...................................p'raps not.
  • Panic on the streets of London.
  • I usually see him at Cheltenham so I'll ask him next week when I'm down there if he's gonna stand.
  • PL54 said:

Apart from fluffy bunnies, what are their strategy for the government of London?

And a distraction for the wet left who might be tempted....are the Hamster freedom party standing ?
    Richard Hammond is apparently otherwise engaged.
  • edited March 2016
    Never feel comfortable when somebody does something very different. Mind you, I think I would make a good brain surgeon.
  • Former Foreign Secretary Hague asked him if he even knew how much an Evening Standard costs, and he replied "William it was really nothing."
  • He just hasn't earned it yet, baby etc
  • Mine's a Guinness....
  • Sponsored links:

• Yep, vote for This Charming Man. Though persuading Dagenham Dave to elect him could be interesting.
  • edited March 2016
    THAT'S RIGHT, HOW DOES IT FEEL FOR YOUR DEMOCRACY TO FEEL LIKE A BIT (more) OF A FARCE!?!?!?
  • Fucking hell, so they'll save the domesticated fox and increase the vegetarian options in restaurants, what else? Niche parties like this won't ever get elected, because other than one or two crackpot schemes they have sod all to bring to the table
  • sam3110 said:

Fucking hell, so they'll save the domesticated fox and increase the vegetarian options in restaurants, what else? Niche parties like this won't ever get elected, because other than one or two crackpot schemes they have sod all to bring to the table

I don't think they or any other small party plan on getting elected, it's about bringing attention to your cause and influencing policies of the major parties.
  • SDAddick said:

THAT'S RIGHT, HOW DOES IT FEEL FOR YOUR DEMOCRACY TO FEEL LIKE A BIT (more) OF A FARCE!?!?!?

It doesnt, a system of 'democracy' based almost entirely on bribery, now that would be a farce.
  • Mine's a Guinness....

But Guinness isn't vegetarian. So his wouldn't be a Guinness.
  • sam3110 said:

Fucking hell, so they'll save the domesticated fox and increase the vegetarian options in restaurants, what else? Niche parties like this won't ever get elected, because other than one or two crackpot schemes they have sod all to bring to the table

I know, we're so much better off with the various neo liberal parties on offer. They never harmed anybody or anything did they?
  • SDAddick said:

It doesnt, a system of 'democracy' based almost entirely on bribery, now that would be a farce.
    Look, I've got nothing left to cling on to.
  • iainment said:

Mine's a Guinness....

But Guinness isn't vegetarian. So his wouldn't be a Guinness.
    Good job it was mine then eh