Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Davis Cup - 2016

Murray v Japan.

He can't do it on his own every time.

Nishkori is world number 6 and rested yesterday. Murray now broken in the 4th. Only one winner at the moment and it aint Andy :-(

Comments

• Murray wins. Never in doubt. :-)
  • Or can he....

Nearly 5 hrs on court, great stuff again from the Britain hater after 5 weeks out. Wouldn't have blamed him at all if he'd dropped out of this competition this year to focus on his singles prospects in the Grand Slams but he's out there doing it again.

Love the guy.
  • Say what you like about his personality, the guy is an absolute beast on the tennis court. That rally to put him 40-0 up in the final game was just ridiculous.
  • edited March 2016
    Thing is , he hates England , yet lives in Oxshott.
    And has an English wife.
  • Thing is , he hates England , yet lives in Oxshott.
    And has an English wife.

Pays English taxes as well unlike a few more beloved British sports stars.

And has an English wife.

You sure?

After all, he must spend more than his x days abroad in the job that he does.
  • Those winnings still go into a British Bank Account and living in Oxshott means he has to pay Council Tax...
    And has an English wife.

Button certainly has a cheek racing under the Union flag. Has Hamilton buggered off to Monaco, too?

Back to the tennis, that was an amazing performance from both players, and what a way to decide the tie!

Re Murray supposedly hating Britain/England, as I understand it he made one jokey comment about supporting "anyone but England" in reference to a football match.
  • Those winnings still go into a British Bank Account and living in Oxshott means he has to pay Council Tax...

But, do they ? i doubt it.
  • No Andy Murray or Djokovic, but GB are playing Serbia. Or rather they should be, but it's raining in Belgrade. It's been that sort of summer for Tennis in Europe...
  • Sponsored links:

• Kyle Edmunds looking very confident in his play so I hope the rain doesn't disrupt his rhythm.
  • Can't believe they are still playing in the pouring rain! Still GB 2 sets and 4 games to 0 up! Come on Kyle. The Sterling University lot are brilliant fans but where are the Serbian supporters?
  • Kyle on the brink of a major win as 2 sets and 5 games to 0 in third set! Serving for the match and feel sorry for Tipsarovic in front of his home crowd.
    Victory in the pouring rain! Well done young Kyle and Sterling Unie fans!
  • No Judy Murray in the audience, as she was watching the cricket at Lord's!
  • edited July 2016
    Delicately poised at 2-1 to GB.

If we are to progress then I think Kyle Edmund has to win his singles match tomorrow because James Ward seems a shadow of the player he was a year or two back. Whether it is confidence or something physical I'm not sure but that defiance he showed against the likes of Isner previously was conspicuously absent today.
  • LenGlover said:

If we are to progress then I think Kyle Edmund has to win his singles match tomorrow because James Ward seems a shadow of the player he was a year or two back. Whether it is confidence or something physical I'm not sure but that defiance he showed against the likes of Isner previously was conspicuously absent today.

Yes, Team GB need to fly Jacko in from Austria to give James some support!
  • vffvff
    edited July 2016
    LenGlover said:

Ward has played well on clay before, I remember a good Davis cup game against the Americans, I think it was last year. His highest ranking was 89 (July, 15) and his current ranking is 240 (July, 16).

US Dollars 1,143,909 is not too shabby prize money though for a not particularly good tennis player.

Dan Evans (ranking 73) was picked, but did not play citing a shoulder issue and 1 or2 issues at home. Seems a bit variable as a tennis player in his commitment.

Bedene (ranking 68) represented Slovenia from 2008 to 2015, although only played 3 matches from 2010/11. He was turned down to represent the UK in the Olympics by the International Tennis Federation and his appeal was not turned down by the Court of Arbitration for sport (whoever they are).

(Quick search on Wikkipedia for all the above stats)

The conclusion is that apart from Murray and Kyle Edmonds, there is no one better than James Ward and the British men are pretty useless at tennis.

So, all down to Kyle Edmonds to win his match.
  • Just beat Serbia 3-1 away to set up a home semi v Argentina.

Hats off to Kyle Edmund who won both his singles in straight sets.
  • Awesome stuff. Can we do it again?
  • Take a bow, Kyle Edmunds! Fantastic game and showed his strength and ability.
  • Sponsored links:

• He's mustard that kid
  • edited July 2016
    He seems to have gained an 'S' on the end of his name.

I wonder if he's related to Noel Edmund?
  • edited July 2016
    The semi final is at home as @bolloxbolder says.

In the other side of the bracket is France, USA and Czech Republic.

Should we win the semi final: and we were to face USA or Czech Republic, the final would also be on home soil. If we were to face France, the final would be an away tie as it was in Belgium last year.
  • edited July 2016
    Wrong thread! Wrong sport!
  • vffvff
    edited July 2016

He's mustard that kid

Thought that he showed a bit of gumption at the end in winning the tie break Kyle Edmonds. Britain have a decent no.2 now in the Davis Cup behind Murray. Looking good in the competition.
  • Great performance by Kyle Edmund, Andy not playing, but being there worked out perfectly for us, as those 2 wins must give Kyle a massive boost for his future career
  • I was flicking between the tennis and the cricket.

Guess which one put a smile on my face & which one made me groan ?

• I give in Fanny Fanackapanistan; which one?
  • The semi final is at home as @bolloxbolder says.

Should we win the semi final: and we were to face USA or Czech Republic, the final would also be on home soil. If we were to face France, the final would be an away tie as it was in Belgium last year.

How do the decisions on whether its a tie at home or away work?
  • The semi final is at home as @bolloxbolder says.

How do the decisions on whether its a tie at home or away work?
    It's the reverse of where the fixture was played when the 2 countries last met.

For example, GB met France last year in the Davis Cup, and played the match at home, thus any rematch this year would be in France. By contrast we were away in the USA last year, so will play them at home next time we meet