Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

***CARD - Call for Supporters to contact University of Greenwich***

Comments

• Can't see nuffink Stig...
  • Should be there now.
  • Universities these days are ultimately a business so if something damages their brand and risks long term recruitment/funding they'll want some answers from the club's owners. Not sure David Maguire will particularly care very much though.
  • Told them that if they continue their association then I won't be looking to enrol.

( like I'm going to enrol at any university EVER! ;-)
  • Lens a poet.
  • Excellent idea.

Email sent.

Perhaps someone connected with the local press hounds could suggest an article asking the Professor what he's decided and why?
  • Done by email.
    The UofG won't be impressed by the idea of a puppy farm of players, either, as their goal is to get students on the road to a happy and fulfilling life and career, not sold to the highest bidder for private profit!

I interviewed 6 of their soon to be MSc grads last week - they were all absolutely awful.

I'm not sure their standards are desperately high but they'll happily take £18k per year from overseas students with limited results.
  • PL54 said:

Done by email.
    The UofG won't be impressed by the idea of a puppy farm of players, either, as their goal is to get students on the road to a happy and fulfilling life and career, not sold to the highest bidder for private profit!

I interviewed 6 of their soon to be MSc grads last week - they were all absolutely awful.

I'm not sure their standards are desperately high but they'll happily take £18k per year from overseas students with limited results.
    Depends on the department. This university's a lot like a badly balanced football team - some departments carry others. Certain departments will take anybody and pass them regardless of how bad they are. Others have some excellent students. But they are trying to change and climb up the league tables unlike Roland and his mob who will settle for the conference.

• Sponsored links:

• To be fair in university leagues, Greenwich is probably about the equivalant of league 2, which is probably where we will be in 15 months time.
  • edited March 2016
    I think they are a very legitimate target to make representation to. When it was first announced that UoG were to be a major sponsor, it seemed both a logical and long term marketing partnership.
    Being a major educational player in both Greenwich and the Medway, where there campuses are, there seemed to be lots of mutual areas of engagement, and areas of cross benefit, besides just the financial input. I was never convinced of the logo on the shirt being different on the clubs shirt, as there 'brand mark' seemed to get confusing, but the rather vague excuse that the UoG logo would not be appropriate on the shirt was a very feeble excuse. The marketing department did not want to engage at the time, at least with myself, but I did manage to speak to a couple of departments heads who saw the sense in a close relationship between supporters and the UoG.

There are couple of posters on here who work at the UoG, It might be more appropriate for them to make representation, as I work very occasionally for local educational establishments my view will be
    viewed with some 'distrust,' as it was at the time, at least that was the feedback I got at the time.
    In fact I am still awaiting there response from over 2 years ago!, I hope they get a quicker response.
  • Done. Surely they won't want their brand to be associated with this kind of failure, so I can see all this having some legs.
  • Done. Surely they won't want their brand to be associated with this kind of failure, so I can see all this having some legs.

The context of this quote rings true for both UofG and Charlton
  • Email sent
  • Keep 'em coming, peeps.
  • In a deal like the Coco5 thing, I can see that is a straight transaction with the cafc regime - publicity for cash. Harming that deal takes cash directly from Roland's pocket.

With UofG, the relationship seems a bit more complex and community-based. Sharing facilities, providing students with valuable TV experience etc etc.

Everyone is free to do as they wish, but I'd be interested to see how much destroying the UofG sponsorship would actually cost the Regime. My guess is that UofG aren't shovelling over loads of money to cafc, and that this mostly just breaks community ties for the club and those that benefit at a much lower rung than the owner and CEO.

I can't imagine Roly D losing sleep because a university football team can't train in a sports hall, and their students can't train for future TV careers (or whatever).

Just my opinion, I'm not as well versed in this stuff as some on here.
  • Sponsored links:

• In a deal like the Coco5 thing, I can see that is a straight transaction with the cafc regime - publicity for cash. Harming that deal takes cash directly from Roland's pocket.

With UofG, the relationship seems a bit more complex and community-based. Sharing facilities, providing students with valuable TV experience etc etc.

Everyone is free to do as they wish, but I'd be interested to see how much destroying the UofG sponsorship would actually cost the Regime. My guess is that UofG aren't shovelling over loads of money to cafc, and that this mostly just breaks community ties for the club and those that benefit at a much lower rung than the owner and CEO.

I can't imagine Roly D losing sleep because a university football team can't train in a sports hall, and their students can't train for future TV careers (or whatever).

If that's all it is , then UOG will swiftly remove their backing/sponsorship - however the sparrows lane redevelopments hinge on working with UOG so it could prove to be a huge obstacle or even derail those plans!
  • sammy391 said:

In a deal like the Coco5 thing, I can see that is a straight transaction with the cafc regime - publicity for cash. Harming that deal takes cash directly from Roland's pocket.

If that's all it is , then UOG will swiftly remove their backing/sponsorship - however the sparrows lane redevelopments hinge on working with UOG so it could prove to be a huge obstacle or even derail those plans!
    And would that be good or bad ?

Depends on your definition of shovelling over loads of money Davey, after all the regime as you call it were quick enough to comment on the good work of there community work with the community trust when the MP's enquired, and the submission of the training ground planning proposals also endlessly mentions the local community, and the community trust in its planning application.
    As I have posted on this page above, the University is an important part of the community, and its role in education is very important. As I mentioned it is not only the financial input that the UoG put in, but there endorsement, the same could be said of the RBG who use the premises of CAFC for seminars and presentations. I used to use the valley for my local football club presentation night, I have mentioned this to the now club chairman and they have cancelled there awards night.
    I also mentioned the hiring of the pitch at the end of the season to various organisations, to contacts in the events planning world.
    This is a question of cutting off the revenue, and showing this regime that supporters have an effect, not in only attending games and purchasing pies and shirts, but that the 'Club' are part of the community, in both the business and social marketing sense.

Pity that the UoG employees\posters have not commented on this page eh 'Henry the cat'......
    Be interested to hear those views, either in support of the current situation.
  • Out of interest has anybody received a reply or is KM involved with the UoG?
  • I am a former employee of the University and also someone who doesn't see them in a positive light.
    However I do not agree that we should call on any current employees to become involved in this action. They would not be viewed positively by the University and it could put their jobs at risk.
  • edited March 2016
    sammy391 said:

In a deal like the Coco5 thing, I can see that is a straight transaction with the cafc regime - publicity for cash. Harming that deal takes cash directly from Roland's pocket.

That was very true of the original scheme - I think it's much less true (if at all) of the revised one, judging from the planning statement submitted with the application. There are other links, however.
  • The fact we have announced studentpriced tickets for next season suggests there is already a deal in place for next season.

In fact, many kit and sponsorship deals get signed off many months beforehand, as the companies need to set the budgets for marketing, advertising and sponsorship pretty early on, so I think you'll find the boat has well and truly been missed
  • johnny73 said:

I am a former employee of the University and also someone who doesn't see them in a positive light.
    However I do not agree that we should call on any current employees to become involved in this action. They would not be viewed positively by the University and it could put their jobs at risk.

Context Johnny 73. Of course it is up to individuals who work for the UoG to make this decision, but if the University does not listen to its own staff on an important community matter, which it uses it's financial as well as other resources, that would not only be a rather narrow minded and undemocratic policy, I am unsure that many of the students and lecturers would support that view. Of course i do remember a time when higher education establishments took quite a position on social and political issues, but then I come from a time when Barclays bank, were not welcome on to some of the campus sites, to name but one organisation. Does an educational organisation not welcome, and embrace freedom of speech and transparency ?