Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

New European Super League

Comments

• oh well, if they all fuck off, Spurs might actually win the league at some point in my lifetime!

Knowing our luck, West Ham will get bought by a bored Saudi or Arab Prince or something.
  • Jints said:

redman said:

unfortunately something like this is inevitable. It will proving an exciting novelty for a couple of years but will become predictably boring. Whereas Liverpool v Real Madrid may be an exciting diversion now, if these sort of games were regular the extra spice will be lost. The nostalgia of the Merseyside derby will be sorely missed. The majority of fans in England will get bored and not want to watch these games. At the moment if there were 2 games on Real v Bayern or Everton v Spurs, which would get the biggest audience?
    Meanwhile the rest of the English league can get on with things and after a couple of years will flourish again. No long term problem.
    PS nothing to do with us anyway

You're looking at it from the perspective of an English or European fan. These guys are thinking worldwide television and merchandising revenue.
    I agree with you. That's why I say it is inevitable it will happen. I then do focus on English fans perspective and say why most fans shouldn't be worried.
  • scruffle said:

They'll just set up their own 'b teams' in each league taking their position swapping first team and b team players at will thus keeping superstars fit and having the caveat of being able to see the super league players of the future.....Being able to have their cake and eat it, sadly all 92 clubs will agree in fear or losing the big attendances and branding 'pull' of the 'big' teams....UEFA and all FAs will breathe a sigh of relief at not losing 'their' assets.....

Then the FA and Premier League should say to them if you go, you go. You're not having a B team in our leagues.
  • It's the I.S.S Pro Evolution 2 Master League coming to life!
  • scruffle said:

They'll just set up their own 'b teams' in each league taking their position swapping first team and b team players at will thus keeping superstars fit and having the caveat of being able to see the super league players of the future.....Being able to have their cake and eat it, sadly all 92 clubs will agree in fear or losing the big attendances and branding 'pull' of the 'big' teams....UEFA and all FAs will breathe a sigh of relief at not losing 'their' assets.....

Then the FA and Premier League should say to them if you go, you go. You're not having a B team in our leagues.
    They should, but they won't, they'll be scared of losing 'their' assets
  • They don't want to get thrown off the gravy train.
  • Just seen Bournemouth score a great goal against Man utd. Good job they will be "banned" from playing them shortly.
  • Football designed by Roland. No promotion, no relegation. Let’s see how long that remains popular.
  • I don't get the opinion of those who are saying 'let them go and get on with it, our league will be better without them'. It would absolutely kill football in this country for years until a sense of normality returns.

For a start the premier league tv money would fall through the floor, the armchair fan isn't going to pay his monthly sky subscription to watch the likes of Burnley and Southampton battle it out. I've no idea when the current tv deal expires, but plenty of clubs will be stuck with players on big contracts but no more 100m+ coming in from sky.

Then with drastically reduced tv income, it'll likely mean that plenty of the foreign owners at lesser clubs like Wolves, Fulham, Bournemouth etc will be less inclined to stick around. I could see quite a few clubs going bust.

Yes eventually it'd all sort itself out, as we obviously had football for 100+ years before the premier league took over, but i really don't think this would be at all good for quite a few years.

Personally i think some kind of Euro Super league is inevitable but not at the expense of domestic leagues. I think the big clubs should just withdraw from domestic cup competitions and instead form a breakaway euro league to be played in midweeks. The Europa league can then be a competition for the best of the rest, and then bring back the cup winners cup as well.
  • If its the top 17/18 sides im Europe based on TV exposure, does that mean we will loose Leeds and Villa?
  • Sponsored links:

• I don't get the opinion of those who are saying 'let them go and get on with it, our league will be better without them'. It would absolutely kill football in this country for years until a sense of normality returns.

For a start the premier league tv money would fall through the floor, the armchair fan isn't going to pay his monthly sky subscription to watch the likes of Burnley and Southampton battle it out. I've no idea when the current tv deal expires, but plenty of clubs will be stuck with players on big contracts but no more 100m+ coming in from sky.

Then with drastically reduced tv income, it'll likely mean that plenty of the foreign owners at lesser clubs like Wolves, Fulham, Bournemouth etc will be less inclined to stick around. I could see quite a few clubs going bust.

Yes eventually it'd all sort itself out, as we obviously had football for 100+ years before the premier league took over, but i really don't think this would be at all good for quite a few years.

Personally i think some kind of Euro Super league is inevitable but not at the expense of domestic leagues. I think the big clubs should just withdraw from domestic cup competitions and instead form a breakaway euro league to be played in midweeks. The Europa league can then be a competition for the best of the rest, and then bring back the cup winners cup as well.

Unfortunately I think clubs going bust en masse is the only way Football will ever sort itself out... Just gotta remember at the end, those that remain will be the ones that have been ran the right way all along
  • Wasn't this being discussed 18 odd years ago according to Richard Murray ?
    At a Bromley addicks meeting Dickie mentioned Man utd going into a super League of about 10 top Euro teams and leaving the Premier.
    This was when we were still in the Premier.
    RM seem to think not if but when.
  • Uefa and leading European clubs say there will be NO breakaway Super League.

But major reforms are coming.

Exclusive interview with two of the most powerful men in football on their future plans and how it’s not all about keeping the elite teams happy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46259269
  • Uefa and leading European clubs say there will be NO breakaway Super League.

But major reforms are coming.

Exclusive interview with two of the most powerful men in football on their future plans and how it’s not all about keeping the elite teams happy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46259269

The top clubs will get whatever they want. Without them these football associations are nothing. No money. No influence. No jollies. Isn’t it what The Premier League did when it stuck two fingers up to the FA ? Football is purely about money at the top now and it’s going to get worse. Lower level clubs can go screw themselves as far as the elite are concerned.

I keep saying it but every year I fall out of love with football just a little bit more. Used to be my Charlton flame that kept me on board but that has started to flicker.

• European Super League: Uefa and Fifa rules banning breakaway league unlawful, says court 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67783970
  • Chizz said:

European Super League: Uefa and Fifa rules banning breakaway league unlawful, says court 

I'm not a huge fan of FIFA or any of the confederations, but decentralizing control and oversight even more will reduce the universality of football.

It's pathetic that the court ruled as it did.
  • The reaction of the fans to the proposals last time was so very anti, I can't see English clubs wanting it to progress. However Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus want it. My fear is that a league could be set up and be a gateway for these new Arab teams to get in. 
  • redman said:
    The reaction of the fans to the proposals last time was so very anti, I can't see English clubs wanting it to progress. However Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus want it. My fear is that a league could be set up and be a gateway for these new Arab teams to get in. 
    The main thing is the big clubs can earn even more money as will the players and agents. The less competition the better.

I'm increasingly disenchanted with football.

• The company who backed the European Super League, A22, has launched a new proposal for men's and women's European competitions.

The proposal is a league system with 64 men's clubs across three leagues with participation based on sporting merit and no permanent members.

The women's competition would include 32 clubs across two leagues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67787981

• Sponsored links:

• redman said:
    The reaction of the fans to the proposals last time was so very anti, I can't see English clubs wanting it to progress. However Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus want it. My fear is that a league could be set up and be a gateway for these new Arab teams to get in. 
    Do the numbers stack up without the English clubs and Bayern Munich? 

A league of the big Spanish & Italian teams, PSG and some teams from Saudia Arabia is surely much less enticing than the originally envisaged product? 
  • edited December 2023
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

European Super League: Uefa and Fifa rules banning breakaway league unlawful, says court 

I'm not a huge fan of FIFA or any of the confederations, but decentralizing control and oversight even more will reduce the universality of football.

Catchy - I like it 

Lol.

I didn't want to be accused of oversimplification with "a free for all" 😉 .
  • clive said:

The company who backed the European Super League, A22, has launched a new proposal for men's and women's European competitions.

The proposal is a league system with 64 men's clubs across three leagues with participation based on sporting merit and no permanent members.

The women's competition would include 32 clubs across two leagues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67787981

Just Real and Barca will want this now…
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:

Catchy - I like it 

Is that Grapevine with the placard?
  • Let them get on with it - Even if the "bigger" English clubs go - good luck and fuck off to the lot f them.

Football aint about that and can always survive. Will us versus Huddersfield be any poorer for Man City playing on a pitch made from gold thread and orphans tears on a telly screen we dotn watch in a a league we dont know ? 

FUCK THEM
  • They’ve all pretty much said no, apart from Real and Barca.