Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Late goal at Guisley v Braintree

Comments

• Options
    Read about this earlier and whilst the keeper makes no effort to stop the ball, which I doubt he could, this is hardly fair is it and would have caused a riot at some grounds.
  • Options
    Cheats. They should have let them walk the ball in from the kick off. They said they didn't because the keeper was trying to be clever.
  • Options
    Limpest thrown in ever
  • Options
    Those 2 points lost for Braintree could be vital to them getting to the playoffs too
  • Options
    How is that a grey area? Fella whacks it straight over the keepers head. He could never have got to it.

Ref could always disallow it for ungentlemanly conduct.
  • Options
    Always feel easy way out of this is just make on some completely bull reason as for a foul throw. Say his feet were on the pitch or something similar
  • Options
    Hard to think it up at the time, but a canny ref should have re-started the re-start, having seen some (spurious) offence back at that time it was taken. Better to have a controversial free kick than a controversial goal
  • Options
    Where's Guisely ? That's one horrible accent.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

It's a small town just outside of Leeds.
  • Options

se9addick said:

It's a small town just outside of Leeds.
    Is that where the original Harry Ramsden's is? I think I've been there
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2016
    se9addick said:

Just up the road from me. Just outside of Leeds. Bloody cheats.
  • Options
    It is. I've never been to Guiseley but there's some nice little places round there.
  • Options
    Guiseley isn't too bad, not exactly a tourist hot spot but plenty of nice places around it. More a commuter town to Leeds or Bradford really.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Erhhh... perhaps I'm being a bit thick, but what was wrong with it exactly?

Throw in was taken legitimately, the ball was in play and it looked like the player took a speculative punt at goal - completely lobbing the keeper. Just like Shelvey, Rooney and so on.. Seems entirely fair?

Or was there a break in play and were they expecting the ball to be given back?

Edit - Just seen that they kicked the ball out to allow a player to receive treatment on the opposing team - in that case it's wrong. I think the player was only booting it towards the goalie too.
  • Options
    There was an injury and Braintree had kicked the ball out. Guisely were supposed to give it back but he overhit it, unintentionally I think.
  • Options
    OK. Foul throw then. Sorted.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong with it in my mind. There is nothing in the laws of the game that says that

1) you should kick the ball out of play so that another player gets treatment

2) that the opposing players should give you the ball back if you do.

I stand to be corrected but I dont believe the old days of the ref blowing up for a player to be treated & then giving a drop ball have been outlawed - only change being that play is only stopped if its a head injury or a player is severely injured. If a player kicks the ball out because he wants a team mate treated then what follows is his look-out. What would you want a CAFC player to do if on the last game v Burnley we needed a win to stay up[ & on 90 mins its 1-1 and one of their players boots the ball off because his team mate has gone down injured. I'd hope we kept it & went for goal just like in the clip shown.The laws are in place for this - let the ref decide.

• Options
    Braintree kicked the ball out for the Guisley player to receive treatment, there is no possible justification for Guisley not to just give the ball back, none. As some have said enough, once the ref has spoken to the lino, he should just signal foul throw and get on with the restart.
  • Options

Braintree kicked the ball out for the Guisley player to receive treatment, there is no possible justification for Guisley not to just give the ball back, none. As some have said enough, once the ref has spoken to the lino, he should just signal foul throw and get on with the restart.

so the ref is supposed to cheat, lie & tell the lino it was a foul throw.

No ;laws were broken. Hopefully the players have leant from this I always thought that 1 of the first things you are taught is to play to the refs whistle. If he hasn't blown - catty on with the game.
  • Options
    If Guisely had been away they wouldn't have got away with that. The fans would have lost it. Absolutely against the spirit of the game. The same thing happened the other day in a game bury were playing in. They let Leon Clarke walk the ball into the net on the restart.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Scott Minto, FA cup v Bristol City, 1994. Curbs told him not to return the ball.
    We didn't score from the throw on but it didn't go down well with the opposition players or the home fans.
  • Options

Scott Minto, FA cup v Bristol City, 1994. Curbs told him not to return the ball.
    We didn't score from the throw on but it didn't go down well with the opposition players or the home fans.

I thought we did score pretty much immediately from the throw, but that could just be my memory playing tricks.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. It looks like they Guisley player overhit it, certainly the guy who took the throw-in wondered what he was playing it. What I find interesting, or perhaps that's too politer a phrase, is the reaction of the Guisley supporters.
  • Options
    Even the Guiseley No.19 looks at his team-mate as if to say: What the hell were you doing
  • Options

I thought we did score pretty much immediately from the throw, but that could just be my memory playing tricks.

Anyway, back to the matter in hand. It looks like they Guisley player overhit it, certainly the guy who took the throw-in wondered what he was playing it. What I find interesting, or perhaps that's too politer a phrase, is the reaction of the Guisley supporters.
    I seem to remember we scored pretty much from the throw, with that charming man Alan Pardew putting the ball in the net
  • Options
    Bristol City was different, they put it out for their player, not ours. So we were under no obligation, and they had been wasting time pretty much from the moment the second half started. And their last defender was being chased down by our striker and hacked it out, then claimed it was for an injury and not simply a rushed clearance. All in all, Bristol had no right to feel aggrieved.
  • Options
    For whatever reason one of the teams was deliberately not even attempting to prevent the other from scoring!

No specific rule in football against this but it is impossible to permit it in a league situation.

Must replay or charge BOTH teams with disrepute and award zero points for game.
  • Options

No ;laws were broken. Hopefully the players have leant from this I always thought that 1 of the first things you are taught is to play to the refs whistle. If he hasn't blown - catty on with the game.
    Virtually every throw in is a foul throw because the throwers feet have to be on or behind the line. If their boot is as much as a millimeter over it is a foul throw. Happens all the time, would be an easy decision to make.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Virtually every throw in is a foul throw because the throwers feet have to be on or behind the line. If their boot is as much as a millimeter over it is a foul throw. Happens all the time, would be an easy decision to make.
    I thought the same, but around 4-5 years ago they changed the rule so as long as part of each boot was on or behind any part of the line it's not a foul throw. So you could have half of each foot on the pitch and it'd now be legal.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

Common misconception I'm afraid Seth.

As long as neither foot is completely over the line then the throw in is fine.

Can't find anywhere official that confirms this, but the images on this link show this:
    http://www.fryclubjfc.co.uk/FCJ_Stuff/LOAF/Throw In/Results/resultspage.htm

http://www.refchat.co.uk/threads/what-constitutes-a-foul-throw.6636/