Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Tutt and American investor?

Not sure if I have missed this on here. Not sure if genuine. Someone on LinkedIn CAFC supporters group purporting to be Graham Tutt (70s goalie) claims he has written to RD re wealthy American interested in purchasing club and installingTutt as Head Coach.

Perhaps true, as he has not had reply from RD.

Comments

• Graham Tutt had so much potential and an horrific tackle by Tom Finney (not the famous one) as Sunderland broke his eye socket, and basically ended his career.
    Saw him following Charlton at games from time to time after he had to stop playing.
  • Is Graham a head coach now?
  • edited February 2016
    Graham is a very well respected and well liked head coach in the states, and is also well connected. As much as I would love to see him as head coach at the club, he is also an American citizen now, and settled in Atlanta.

He is also very aware of the shortcomings of the current regime.

**Edit - I forgot, he's a Spanner also :-)
  • He's had a successful career as a goalkeeping coach, I think in South Africa and USA. I don't see him as head coach. Finney ended up as a labourer.
  • Graham Tutt was by far and away the best young goalkeeper I have ever seen. He had so much potential and it was a tragedy his career was ended in this manner. At the time, many supporters felt Finney could have pulled out of the challenge which resulted in Tutt being stretchered off with his face and eye in a terrible mess. Every time Finney played at the Valley thereafter he was booed mercilessly by home supporters.

Did Finney play against us after that 'challenge' ? I don't think so, at least, not for a long time.
  • Hex said:

Graham Tutt was by far and away the best young goalkeeper I have ever seen. He had so much potential and it was a tragedy his career was ended in this manner. At the time, many supporters felt Finney could have pulled out of the challenge which resulted in Tutt being stretchered off with his face and eye in a terrible mess. Every time Finney played at the Valley thereafter he was booed mercilessly by home supporters.

Did Finney play against us after that 'challenge' ? I don't think so, at least, not for a long time.
    Yup. Deffo a number of times away for sure.
  • Hex said:

Graham Tutt was by far and away the best young goalkeeper I have ever seen. He had so much potential and it was a tragedy his career was ended in this manner. At the time, many supporters felt Finney could have pulled out of the challenge which resulted in Tutt being stretchered off with his face and eye in a terrible mess. Every time Finney played at the Valley thereafter he was booed mercilessly by home supporters.

He did, on a number of occasions, and Hex is right he was booed every time.
    Tutt was a class young keeper for the time.
    Younger fans might like to know that when Tutt was stretchered off, Killer went in goal.
  • It was on the Big Match if I remember right we lost 4-1
  • Sponsored links:

• Graham Tutt was by far and away the best young goalkeeper I have ever seen. He had so much potential and it was a tragedy his career was ended in this manner. At the time, many supporters felt Finney could have pulled out of the challenge which resulted in Tutt being stretchered off with his face and eye in a terrible mess. Every time Finney played at the Valley thereafter he was booed mercilessly by home supporters.

Remember given him plenty of stick every time he played us, saw him several times when he playd for Cambridge...agree with others Tutt was a brilliant young goalie.
  • TEL said:

It was on the Big Match if I remember right we lost 4-1

Correct.
  • edited February 2016
    seth plum said:

Graham Tutt had so much potential and an horrific tackle by Tom Finney (not the famous one) as Sunderland broke his eye socket, and basically ended his career.
    Saw him following Charlton at games from time to time after he had to stop playing.

Killer donned the green jersey and gloves as stand in keeper IIRC that day. Not only did we lose our keeper but we lost our main goal threat :disappointed: .
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/52169/graham-tutt
  • RedChaser said:

seth plum said:

Graham Tutt had so much potential and an horrific tackle by Tom Finney (not the famous one) as Sunderland broke his eye socket, and basically ended his career.

Killer donned the green jersey and gloves as stand in keeper IIRC that day.
    Was at that game, not many fellow addicks at Roker Park that day,think we took the lead as well Richie Bowman.Finney later played for Cambridge United I think he was always booed
  • TEL said:

It was on the Big Match if I remember right we lost 4-1

Match of the Day,i think.
  • Yes it was Match of the Day, later we played a testimonial for Graham against Sunderland and Malcolm McDonald played for us.
    I think Graham may have gone on to play for England he was that good.
  • RedChaser said:

seth plum said:

Was at that game, not many fellow addicks at Roker Park that day,think we took the lead as well Richie Bowman.Finney later played for Cambridge United I think he was always booed
    I remember having to explain to guys around me why we were booing some Cambridge no - mark.

• Wasn't there a story a while ago that Tutt had been spoken to about the job?
  • RedChaser said:

seth plum said:

I remember having to explain to guys around me why we were booing some Cambridge no - mark.

We never let him forget it for sure. He must have hated getting anywhere near us at such a tight ground as Cambridge.
  • Sponsored links:

• Sounds more like some one making up rumours about themselves to get themselves in the limelight
  • I spoke to Airman before the game, no chance of it happening apparently.
  • The big story was that a reserve game v Cambridge United included Finney. We played Hales in that match and he kicked Finney all round the pitch. Both players didn't come out second half.
  • masicat said:

The big story was that a reserve game v Cambridge United included Finney. We played Hales in that match and he kicked Finney all round the pitch. Both players didn't come out second half.

I wish I had seen that one. Went to quite a few reserve matches back then.

Don't worry katrien you wouldn't understand.
  • TelMc32 said:

Bob Stokoe was disgusted and bombed Finney out of Sunderland as soon as he could.

He turned up in a reserve game at the Valley a while later, I think for Cambridge, and Nelson asked what 1st team players wanted a go at him. A few hits, two footed challenges, scything down from behind and subbed at half time for his own safety.

When football was football
  • Finney "did him" on purpose. No doubt in my mind.
  • I was introduced to Graham Tutt in an English bar in Atlanta. He was a smashing bloke, He had made a lot of money in "Soccer" in the states.
  • I remember watching this on match of the day. I worked at CAFC during summer hols and Graham Tutt was a lovely fella. So sad as he was an outstanding talent.
  • Met Graham in hospital just after the injury Eltham Cottage Hospital, my dad was in the same ward. Top bloke, not bitter at all although tbf he prob didnt know at the time his career was over!
  • He was an excellent and upcoming keeper, glad to hear from some above he made it in the States.