Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holiday to Turkey

1235»

Comments

• edited July 2017

Have holidayed in Turkey last 5 years near Marmaris. Have never felt or seen any troubles and have felt very safe there. Security at Dalaman airport excellent. Working in London every day, and following recent events, which is safest?

Well, you do the maths. How many days have you worked in London in the last five years? About 1,200? How many days have you spent in Turkey? 70?
    Anyway, just by way of example Turkey has a road traffic fatality rate of 13 deaths per 100 000 population. In the UK it's 3 per 100,000. So setting aside the possibility of death by terrorist, would you really choose to travel by road from an airport in Turkey?

Now, back to terrorism. According to some charts I've found on the interweb last year there were around 500 deaths from terrorist activity in Turkey. That compares with around 150 - in the whole of Western Europe. I assume the Nice attack accounted for a significant proportion of those.

So, for me, the answer is London is safer, by a country mile.
  • Been to Kalkan via Istanbul or Dalaman every year for the past four years and had absolutely no issues. Many are right when they say it is dead, it is. Tourists are going to alternative places, and the locals know why. They find it frustrating because they know how safe it is.

I know I have less chance of being attacked on the beach in southern Turkey than I do on the tube I take everyday to work. It's a fantastic place and I thoroughly recommend you go. The smaller towns such as Kas or Kalkan will be safer still, as these aren't popular holiday destinations, but nonetheless have fantastic restaurants, beautiful marinas and you'll be able to relax. Also just a short drive away from Patara beach.

I got back from Kalkan for the 5th time end of May, flew via Istanbul and I echo everything I said before.

The rowdiest thing I saw was a group of Besiktas fans celebrating their league win.

In fact, next time I go I will be ensuring I spend a weekend in Istanbul. I can't pass through that city one more time without seeing it.
  • What are people's thoughts on Turkey for a holiday at the moment?

I won't lie. I've left booking this year's holiday late this year, and we've got to go in mid August!
    Wasn't going to consider it this year and the wife's not too keen because of the obvious.
    We travelled to Belek in 2015 and had a cracking time.
    I've just had a sneaky look and there are some great deals.

Have you looked at the Gloria resort mate ? Went a couple of years ago and for an all inclusive resort , it is quality
  • Girlfriend is out there with sister and mum, thankfully all ok but they're a bit shaken up by it. Due home in the early hours which is a relief, glad it wasn't at the start of their holiday.
  • Yes, my stepdaughter landed in at 1am this morning from Kos. Very grateful.
  • I'm in Bodrum got here on Monday. Was in bed when earthquake hit, very scary an obviously pitch dark as all power failed. Many people slept round pool rather than return to apartments. Small tsunami on Bodrum beach front was pretty shocking for those in hotels down there. However, all back to normal.now.
  • Been to Kalkan via Istanbul or Dalaman every year for the past four years and had absolutely no issues. Many are right when they say it is dead, it is. Tourists are going to alternative places, and the locals know why. They find it frustrating because they know how safe it is.

I know I have less chance of being attacked on the beach in southern Turkey than I do on the tube I take everyday to work. It's a fantastic place and I thoroughly recommend you go. The smaller towns such as Kas or Kalkan will be safer still, as these aren't popular holiday destinations, but nonetheless have fantastic restaurants, beautiful marinas and you'll be able to relax. Also just a short drive away from Patara beach.

I got back from Kalkan for the 5th time end of May, flew via Istanbul and I echo everything I said before.

The rowdiest thing I saw was a group of Besiktas fans celebrating their league win.

In fact, next time I go I will be ensuring I spend a weekend in Istanbul. I can't pass through that city one more time without seeing it.
    No way!! I was in Kalkan 17th - 24th May, I only just missed the guys celebrating the Beşiktaş win! Back there in September. My heart is definitely in that beautiful little town. My friend has a villa there and also a holiday villa management company. We go quite often on a girls week away. I'm cpunting the days currently.

It is getting a lot busier at the moment from what I can gather from the video calls from my friends there. The harbour is still a little quiet though