Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Holiday to Turkey

Comments

• Easy - no need to go all 'arsey' (pun intended).

I have nothing against these countries, and never even mentioned Spain. But it has just stuck in my mind that a fair few people who I know who have been to Egypt, Turkey or Morrocco have had a decent time, but spent a portion of the trip pissing fizzy chocolate out their arse.

Seeing as I suffer from IBS and would probably get the shits on a holiday to an all inclusive resort in Devon that served nothing but boiled rice, I have preferred California for instance. It's not exactly Necker Island and I have (touch wood) maintained a level of arse control during my visits.

What a lovely image :smile:
  • Each to their own but I have never understood the British attraction to going on holiday to places where you get the shits if you so much as sniff the water.

Hence why it's the US, Carribean, Bahamas for me. Same sunshine, more to do, and no burning arsehole after a week of pissing out your bum.

Egypt is the same. Why?

Plenty of places in England give will give you the shits, SE7 is the exception to the rule - you will just watch shit
  • Went to Olu Deniz a few years ago. Lovely place, but the people are the rudest I've ever met. I'd never in a million years consider Turkey as a holiday destination again - not even if you paid me.

Would definitely avoid if it were me - so many other places to go to.

We were just up the road at Fethiye - Club Letoonia, all inclusive.

Hope they've improved the hygiene because Trip Advisor giving good reviews.

When there in 2009, within 2 days our lad got a sickness bug which manifested itself in projectile vomiting.
    Then I caught it - 24 hrs later, followed by the wife soon after - we were all completely bed ridden for 7 full days.

When we eventually resurfaced, our lad bumped into a school mate who he didn't know was staying there - the mate told our lad they had come for a week and been ill with the same sickness bug for the entire holiday.

Nice place, though - just avoid contact with any sticky bar surfaces or other humans!
  • edited March 2016
    When I was in Bodrum a few years ago there were a lot of fat/plain, single women staying there who seemed to think it was a great destination. Couldn't see the appeal myself.
  • edited March 2016

When I was in Bodrum a few years ago there were a lot of fat/plain, single women staying there who seemed to think it was a great destination. Couldn't see the appeal myself.

With what, the destination or the women?
  • We went to Torba near Bodrum in 2009 and 2010 and really enjoyed our holidays but right now I wouldn't risk it. My Turkish colleague, who admittedly lives in Istanbul, tells me that there is quite a degree of heightened alert everywhere and that the coastal resorts are thought to be targets for the future so for me it's off the list of holiday destinations. If you just want beaches and sun then there are other options but honestly we live in a much more dangerous world so anywhere could be a target for these maniacs.
  • Fethiye/Antalya are lovely but I wouldn't go this summer. Too close to a war zone.

I do feel sorry for the Turkish staff that will probably find themselves out of work
  • When I was in Bodrum a few years ago there were a lot of fat/plain, single women staying there who seemed to think it was a great destination. Couldn't see the appeal myself.

Think they go for the food (Turkish Delight)
  • When I was in Bodrum a few years ago there were a lot of fat/plain, single women staying there who seemed to think it was a great destination. Couldn't see the appeal myself.

Just convince yourself they enjoyed the English eye candy.
  • Seen on news about a grenade attack on a police station in Istanbul during which the 2 attackers were shot dead. Also yesterday there was a car bomb attack on police in Turkey where 2 were killed and 30 odd injured. Turkey is now very unstable and is becoming out of control.
  • Sponsored links:

• E-cafc said:

Seen on news about a grenade attack on a police station in Istanbul during which the 2 attackers were shot dead. Also yesterday there was a car bomb attack on police in Turkey where 2 were killed and 30 odd injured. Turkey is now very unstable and is becoming out of control.

I understand what you're saying but Istanbul is 450 miles from Antalya . Would you travel to Scotland if there'd been a bomb in London? ....of course you would
  • edited March 2016
    There have already been terrorist attacks in Istanbul and Ankara this year as well. One of those was in a tourist district.
  • E-cafc said:

Seen on news about a grenade attack on a police station in Istanbul during which the 2 attackers were shot dead. Also yesterday there was a car bomb attack on police in Turkey where 2 were killed and 30 odd injured. Turkey is now very unstable and is becoming out of control.

Would you travel to Scotland if there'd been a bomb in London? ....of course you would
    No. I'd prefer to stay in London.
  • I'm currently looking at a holiday to Antalya, Turkey, in June through Thomson. The hotel looks amazing and it's a very reasonable price. I'm just a bit wary of travelling to Turkey

I think you answered your own question. You should be wary. It is up to you if you would rather go to somewhere you feel wary, when there are hundreds of safer options.
  • I know it's not Turkey but just heard that Thomas Cook have cancelled all bookings to Sharm El Sheikh until October due to Foreign Office advice.
  • A quick update on this. I weighed up the pros and cons & eventually booked the Sensatori resort in Antayla. Since then, there seems to have been at least 1 terrorist attack a week in Turkey and I'm now thinking of cancelling.

So not much of an update really as I still don't know what to do :disappointed:
  • Going to Antalya in may, 6th time in the last 7 Years, can't fault it or any of the hotels I've been to. What hotel are you looking at?

It's good to know that someone's been and keeps going back. That really helps. I hear all the stories on the news and it is off putting, so it's good to hear from somebody who's been there.

We are looking at The sensatori resort in the side area of Antalya

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1192102-d4294078-Reviews-Barut_Sorgun_Sensatori-Sorgun_Turkish_Mediterranean_Coast.html#travelerReviews
    I know someone who went there last year, said it was very good, enjoyed it, good food etc. only drawback was that as a new hotel the mattresses were like laying on concrete, if you like a firm bed, then you will be fine
  • A quick update on this. I weighed up the pros and cons & eventually booked the Sensatori resort in Antayla. Since then, there seems to have been at least 1 terrorist attack a week in Turkey and I'm now thinking of cancelling.

If you cancel without Foreign Office advice you will lose money, how much depends on when you are going. Most terrorists attacks are in the north, but it is no good going on holiday and not enjoying it because you are worried. Although warnings about Sharm (been twice) I am still going to Hurghada, have been told by people who have recently come back, no problem. If you go, it is no point worrying, otherwise no point going.
  • I have had some great holidays in Turkey, especially when the kids were younger. However after watching that clip of a packed football stadium singing "Allahu Akbar" when they should have been observing the tribute to the French shootings they have had the last of my money.

Now they have suicide bombers on their own doorstep its pot, kettle & black as far as I am concerned.
  • Stone said:

With what, the destination or the women?
    Sounds perfect to me. Always been a big fan of the slightly rounder, slightly plainer ladies.

Great fat ugly mingers where a bag of flour is required to find the moist spot and after emptying the bag it's necessary to use it to cover the face are not in the plan though.
  • Sponsored links:

• I'd be very surprised if any terrorist attacked got through the security at a se satori resort. Not been to the Turkish one but have been elsewhere and they have been very good quality (for fully inclusive) and secure.

I would not have any concerns going there at all but I have quite a tolerance for these sort of risks and everyone is different. If you are going to worry about it on holiday, go somewhere else.

Unfortunately the world is not a stable place and there are risks everywhere.

Hope you have a good time wherever you go.
  • IAIA
    edited March 2016

I have had some great holidays in Turkey, especially when the kids were younger. However after watching that clip of a packed football stadium singing "Allahu Akbar" when they should have been observing the tribute to the French shootings they have had the last of my money.

Now they have suicide bombers on their own doorstep its pot, kettle & black as far as I am concerned.

I think you missed the point of that protest, as that's what they were saying. A massive bombing in Ankara a couple of weeks earlier got no attention, but attacks in Paris prompted UEFA-wide silence.

Might not be to everyone's tastes to protest (not mine anyway), but there seems to be a hierarchy of grief.

I don't know, but would be surprised if they were chanting "Allahu Akbar" or whatever, partly because that's Arabic and partly because I don't see how that would fit with the protest/complaint.
  • edited May 2016

A quick update on this. I weighed up the pros and cons & eventually booked the Sensatori resort in Antayla. Since then, there seems to have been at least 1 terrorist attack a week in Turkey and I'm now thinking of cancelling.

Re the sad news of the flight disappearing today between Paris and Cairo, it made me think of this thread.

I was wondering what you decided to do ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36333992

RIP the 66.
  • Just booked up to go to Turunc again. Was in 2 minds but is it any riskier than anywhere else ?
  • A friend has just come back from staying at the Sensatori in Dalaman, nothing but praise and certainly no trouble
  • Just come back from dalyan, 26 degrees every day. beautiful. would definitely go back.
  • Been to Marmaris twice and Bodrum. Great hold and lovely people, just stay away from crowded areas.
  • Just booked up to go to Turunc again. Was in 2 minds but is it any riskier than anywhere else ?

Probably safer than a trip to The Valley =
    Throwing missiles.
    Verbal agression.
    Hostile angry mobs.
    Public unrest making international news.
    Thousands of dissenting voices trying to overthrow oppressive regime.

Turkey =
    Friendly locals desperate for tourist income
    Luxury hotels with guards on duty 24/7
    Sun shining with scorching temperatures.

A scary place, you're avin a larf.

Joking aside I share peoples concerns, but having been to Turkey again 6 months ago, I found it quieter for tourists but other than that, exactly the same as a few years earlier.
  • The chances are you will be fine. Personally I don't think it's worth the risk. Once an uprising starts in a volatile country like this it can spread like wildfire. As for security well you've only got to look at what happened in Tunisia from the beaches. It only takes a couple of terrorists to get jobs working inside these hotels! Frightening times!