Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

LONDONIST article by Michael Holland - England's First Black Footballer: Why's He Been Forgotten?

Great article by Michael Holland. As a former Blackheath Schools, Kent Schools, and Charlton Athletic FC 'European Tour' team mate of Ben Odeje, I know that Ben's Thames Gateway, City Challenge story is truly at the heart of Deptford's FARE network (Football Against Racism in Europe) case against racism in football 1966-2016. Michael Holland's article reveals suppressed truths from a poor part of South East London, at a critical moment in time, as we approach the 2016 European Championships in France, and a referendum vote on whether or not we stay in the European Union. I've done my best over the years to promote the real story of England's 1st black footballer at any level, and both the Durban International Film Festival, and Global Entrepreneurship Week UK have liked my idea to make a film about Ben's life story http://londonist.com/2016/02/benodeje

Comments

• Options
    Roland Duchatelet needs reminding as he knows nothing about Charlton's history. Graham Browne gave us these pictures on facebook the other day https://www.facebook.com/graham.browne.3/posts/1264187990263765?pnref=story I hope you can see them.
  • Options
    Good article. Amazed that this happened as recently as the 70's.
  • Options
    He never played in our first team though.......but, I think, made a small number of reserve appearances prior to leaving the club circa 1973?
  • Options
    you need to define first mate you keep changing your mind---there are other sites as well

ps are you Dianne Abbot ?
  • Options
    I remember seeing Ben play for England Schoolboys at Wembley - we had a school trip to the game. He was the best player on the park and I was chuffed to hear he signed for us. Shame he didn't make it any further though.
  • Options
    again?
  • Options
    It is a very good article.
  • Options
    johnny73 said:

It is a very good article.

I totally agree johnny73, it is a very good article, and it was prompted by a previous article in the Londonist, that was published on the 8th February 2016, and which originally stated that Laurie Cunningham was England's 1st black footballer at any level. Michael Holland a former South East London School team mate of Ben's, asked us to challenge this claim, which we did successfully and corrections were made to the article - http://londonist.com/2016/02/london-s-unsung-football-hero?utm_content=buffer34a9f&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

The reason this is so important for Charlton Athletic FC and South East London football/business/politics etc is Ben's genuine claim 1971-2016 has been supported by his friends, and former team mates, both on, and off the pitch, which includes the leading case for the defence against NF/BNP entry-ism into London's Sporting/Planning Arena 1991-2016, a case that has been referred to the Home Secretary twice in the last six years. If we had allowed Ben's story to be covered up by a false claim relating to Laurie Cunningham, all hope of ever revealing suppressed legal truths would be lost.

• Options
    I don't understand. what has this got to do with the NF/BNP? and why is it so significant to the EU referendum?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Here we go again
  • Options

you need to define first mate you keep changing your mind---there are other sites as well

ps are you Dianne Abbot ?

There are other black people you know. I'm sure there must be some quite near you.

Or is that the problem?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    You are a fucking joke. The expert on race issues because you married an "asian". WTF is that? Kiss my arse then fuck off.
  • Options
    I think you are a bit too obsessed about race Roy...
  • Options
    Why's who been forgotten?

; )
  • Options

Why's who been forgotten?

; )

Nobody. How could we possibly forget when this fella keeps reminding us every few months?

And despite all the posts I still have no idea where the BNP are supposed to fit into it all - do they keep wiping people's memories?

• Options
    Roy said:

Great article by Michael Holland. As a former Blackheath Schools, Kent Schools, and Charlton Athletic FC 'European Tour' team mate of Ben Odeje, I know that Ben's Thames Gateway, City Challenge story is truly at the heart of Deptford's FARE network (Football Against Racism in Europe) case against racism in football 1966-2016. Michael Holland's article reveals suppressed truths from a poor part of South East London, at a critical moment in time, as we approach the 2016 European Championships in France, and a referendum vote on whether or not we stay in the European Union. I've done my best over the years to promote the real story of England's 1st black footballer at any level, and both the Durban International Film Festival, and Global Entrepreneurship Week UK have liked my idea to make a film about Ben's life story http://londonist.com/2016/02/benodeje

Is this you Roy?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roy_Race
  • Options
    He should be invited to our next kick racism out of sport day and introduced.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Saw what you did there.......
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:

Roy Race. ..Melchester Rovers. Quality left peg before it was amputated after the chopper crash.
  • Options
    I was waiting for the "entry-ism" bit, that's my favourite. Is it a new word made up for this story ? Why are the NF/BNP interested in London's "Sporting/Planning arena" ? What is a "sporting/planning arena" ?

So many questions.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Roy?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

I was waiting for the "entry-ism" bit, that's my favourite. Is it a new word made up for this story ? Why are the NF/BNP interested in London's "Sporting/Planning arena" ? What is a "sporting/planning arena" ?

So many questions.

Perhaps they are considering sponsorship deals?
  • Options

Don't know mate ill ask the wife of 24 years whose Asian . Is that ok u fecking knob

Can your wife cook GH?
    I've been married to an Asian for 20 years and we still live on fucking takeaways.
  • Options
    RoyRoy
    edited February 2016
    Redrobo said:

Redrobo at Charlton Athletic's RED, BLACK, AND WHITE DAY in the 2014/15 season, Ben Odeje was introduced to the crowd at the Valley, and this film was shown at half-time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u62oNRwTcdM&safe=active&app=desktop I'll always remember that historic day, as I had my picture taken with Ben on the pitch after the film was shown, and his role as an Ambassador for Charlton Athletic Community Trust was confirmed. Clive Efford the Shadow Sports Minister at the time, and Councillors from the Royal Borough of Greenwich all gave their support for this event.

Following Charlton Athletic's RED, BLACK, AND WHITE DAY, Ben Odeje led early criticisms against Sepp Blatter in the build up to the Women's World Cup, which have since contributed to his downfall https://www.facebook.com/100008501430158/videos/1431842620442439/

Last night I sent the following text to Dr Michael Seeraj of Charlton Athletic Community Trust.... Hi Michael, are you still involved with CACT? If so you should be aware that Michael Holland has written a 'State of the Art' piece for the Londonist about Ben Odeje, who became England's 1st black footballer at any level in 1971, and a CACT Ambassador to the world in 2014. Today Fifa appointed a new President from Europe Gianni Infantino, and I posted about Ben Odeje on my facebook page, and on the Charlton Life Forum too. England gave the game of football to the world, and Fifa is currently a toxic organisation, in a state of financial and moral crisis. A high profile role for Ben Odeje at Fifa wouldn't be a bad idea, and it would help the African Nations who feel totally betrayed by the Old Boys of Europe. Best regards Roy
  • Options
    Why are you so obsessed with Ben Odeje ?

Haven't you had any other interests since 1973 ?
  • Options
    I don't see how appointing Ben at Fifa would help the African nations. He's English.
  • Options
    Roy said:

Redrobo said:

Redrobo at Charlton Athletic's RED, BLACK, AND WHITE DAY in the 2014/15 season, Ben Odeje was introduced to the crowd at the Valley, and this film was shown at half-time https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u62oNRwTcdM&safe=active&app=desktop I'll always remember that historic day, as I had my picture taken with Ben on the pitch after the film was shown, and his role as an Ambassador for Charlton Athletic Community Trust was confirmed. Clive Efford the Shadow Sports Minister at the time, and Councillors from the Royal Borough of Greenwich all gave their support for this event.

Following Charlton Athletic's RED, BLACK, AND WHITE DAY, Ben Odeje led early criticisms against Sepp Blatter in the build up to the Women's World Cup, which have since contributed to his downfall https://www.facebook.com/100008501430158/videos/1431842620442439/

Last night I sent the following text to Dr Michael Seeraj of Charlton Athletic Community Trust.... Hi Michael, are you still involved with CACT? If so you should be aware that Michael Holland has written a 'State of the Art' piece for the Londonist about Ben Odeje, who became England's 1st black footballer at any level in 1971, and a CACT Ambassador to the world in 2014. Today Fifa appointed a new President from Europe Gianni Infantino, and I posted about Ben Odeje on my facebook page, and on the Charlton Life Forum too. England gave the game of football to the world, and Fifa is currently a toxic organisation, in a state of financial and moral crisis. A high profile role for Ben Odeje at Fifa wouldn't be a bad idea, and it would help the African Nations who feel totally betrayed by the Old Boys of Europe. Best regards Roy
    Hi Ben. Just to let you know you didn't make it at Charlton because you weren't good enough, nothing else to see here Move on.
  • Options

Huskaris said:

Roy Race. ..Melchester Rovers. Quality left peg before it was amputated after the chopper crash.
    hmmm...A unidexter...Frayes next "find" for the squad I bet.