Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***SLP: CARD calling for a Season Ticket Boycott***

Comments

• Options
    edited February 2016

Ross said:

Of course I care who makes up the XI on the pitch, and I would rather have XI Solly's out there than some of the players that we currently have. However, they are still wearing the red and white of Charlton, playing at The Valley and will have my support (when they're not pissing me off because of their shocking defending!).

I am not letting the terrible twosome stop me from coming and supporting my club. And they shouldn't let anyone else either.

There should be strength in unity in the stands at games, saying 'this is our club, we will continue to support the team no matter what, and we're not going to let you force us out.'

I agree that we should not be putting our money into the club, but lets carry on doing that through boycotting programme sales, catering and the club shop, not through the only thing that means we can watch our team in the home that we fought to save all those years ago.

Until finances, work, family or health dictate otherwise I will be wanting to support my team at home, and that is why I will be renewing my season ticket.

Serious question, though, Ross and not to dig you out - why would you need to buy that ticket before July? Why give the regime your money and support now?
    To make sure I keep the same seat. No other reason at all.

If there was a guarantee that my seat would be available on the first day of next season then it would not be a problem.

Edit: my previous post does not mean that I do not support CARD. I think they are doing a fantastic job, and I will continue to support them. However, I just cannot support a season ticket boycott, although I respect those who will be.
  • Options
    Ross said:

Ross said:

Of course I care who makes up the XI on the pitch, and I would rather have XI Solly's out there than some of the players that we currently have. However, they are still wearing the red and white of Charlton, playing at The Valley and will have my support (when they're not pissing me off because of their shocking defending!).

I am not letting the terrible twosome stop me from coming and supporting my club. And they shouldn't let anyone else either.

There should be strength in unity in the stands at games, saying 'this is our club, we will continue to support the team no matter what, and we're not going to let you force us out.'

I agree that we should not be putting our money into the club, but lets carry on doing that through boycotting programme sales, catering and the club shop, not through the only thing that means we can watch our team in the home that we fought to save all those years ago.

Until finances, work, family or health dictate otherwise I will be wanting to support my team at home, and that is why I will be renewing my season ticket.

Serious question, though, Ross and not to dig you out - why would you need to buy that ticket before July? Why give the regime your money and support now?

If there was a guarantee that my seat would be available on the first day of next season then it would not be a problem.

Edit: my previous post does not mean that I do not support CARD. I think they are doing a fantastic job, and I will continue to support them. However, I just cannot support a season ticket boycott, although I respect those who will be.
    what if someone said if Rolland didn't sell one season ticket next season he would sell the club 100%
  • Options

I accept the point people are struggling as to how they support the team but not the regime. The challenge I have to pose is the team that is currently going onto the pitch "your" team.

In what way does it represent you? Does it represent what you feel your club should be?

Today it is a team taken from a squad constructed by this regime, under head coaches appointed by this regime which all too frequently this season has displayed anything but the qualities we would expect from "our" team. The number of heavy reverses do not occur by accident.

We have registered over 60 professionals this season.

Of the match day squad of 18 on Saturday;

- Fanni, Suk-Young, Poyet, Sanogo, Makienok are on loan
    - Motta, Reza, Harriott are all out of contract in a matter of weeks
    - Johnson is performing as if he is still in India and will probably be paid off
    - Berg Gudmondsson, Texeira and Lookman will almost certainly be sold
    - Ba apparently refused to come out for the 2nd half and will probably not be seen again
    - Bergdich has reappeared from the shadows but he was all set for the exit before Riga arrived

leaving Henderson, Fox, Diarra and Pope

For most we are either a final pay cheque or a stepping stone to something better.

That is the reality of where we are today. It is the culmination of the policies pursued by this regime. It is the delivery of their stated vision for the club. It is the portent of our future.

I calculate circa 108 professional players have been registered with the club under this regime in 25 months.

No talk of our history. No DVD or video of our sojourns through Selhurst and Upton Parks, no pictures of a derelict Valley and the battles fought to bring the club back home. No reference to our days in the Premier League. No ambition to return to those times in the sun.

There will always be some "final pay cheque/ stepping stone elements" in any squad. It is the nature of the industry but how many of those with us today, given the option of staying on the same money playing at the same level somewhere else, would give us a second thought.

I would hope those who have come through the academy / development squads would but for those with the opportunity to earn more and play at a higher level it is a no brainer. As it stands the club offers no compelling future for any committed professional to stay.

"Building a better future together" requires a strong infrastructure, a stability, a unity, a sense of belonging, a target for progress, a strong leadership and a compelling vision. Do you see any of those elements in the teams who represent us today?

None of this seeks to criticise anyone who wants or feels they have a duty to support the team. There really is no right or wrong answer.

In terms of the season ticket purchase there are financial implications on both sides of the argument. Against such considerations there is a however a clear political message to be sent. If you can afford to defer any decision then I will urge you to consider joining in with those who will be boycotting the season ticket offers for the 2016/2017 season.

Is the picture and the future I have painted above one you wish to support? Is it really one to which you need to commit to at this point?

Just a few thoughts to consider in your deliberations in making such a decision.

Difficult one. The problem is once you start discriminating between teams that deserve support and those that don't where do you end up. Life gets complicated.

I would rather support whatever team is representing us, if it's like the current wish mash of journeymen, blame the regime not the players who are unfortunate in having found themselves washed up at the Valley.
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

Ross said:

Ross said:

what if someone said if Rolland didn't sell one season ticket next season he would sell the club 100%
    unrealistic question, as Ross stated there will always be people that will, just as there will always be people that will plod along forever in a loveless relationship unless the other person takes the initiative to call it quits.

• Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

Ross said:

Ross said:

No brainer, obviously.

But why would he? He's putting in a million of his own money each month apparently. FFP goes up from £7m to £13m next season IIRC, giving him an extra £6m leeway that he can lose.

Who's to say that he might think 'No one has bought any season tickets this season, I'm losing money over fist, instead of finding an investor I'm going to sell The Valley and training ground to a property developer and make three times what I bought the club for?'.
  • Options
    Ross said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Ross said:

Ross said:

But why would he? He's putting in a million of his own money each month apparently. FFP goes up from £7m to £13m next season IIRC, giving him an extra £6m leeway that he can lose.
    There seems to be there is this common misconception that because he is rich, he'll just chuck more money in. If that was the case, how comes we've had spells where we've had to shift squad-filling U21s out on loan just to clear up some budget space to bring someone in? And gone so long at times with imbalanced squads?

• Options

- Ba apparently refused to come out for the 2nd half and will probably not be seen again

Great piece as usual Grapevine, but how reliable is the above info? Do we know why?
  • Options
    well here is the problem I see - if the only thing Rolland cares about is making a profit - then the only way we can get him out is make the loss as big as possible surely?

And thus every season ticket not bought helps the cause?

I really don't see any justification giving him £1

what other reasons do people think that he is doing all this for?
  • Options

Ross said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Ross said:

Ross said:

There seems to be there is this common misconception that because he is rich, he'll just chuck more money in. If that was the case, how comes we've had spells where we've had to shift squad-filling U21s out on loan just to clear up some budget space to bring someone in? And gone so long at times with imbalanced squads?

Of course not, he is still trying to balance the books with regards to the playing side as much as possible.

However, £1m lost in season ticket sales may not be the be all and end all to him.

Please note: I am not supporting or justifying Roland's running of the club here!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

well here is the problem I see - if the only thing Rolland cares about is making a profit - then the only way we can get him out is make the loss as big as possible surely?

And thus every season ticket not bought helps the cause?

I really don't see any justification giving him £1

what other reasons do people think that he is doing all this for?

I don't think its about making a profit, never have done. To me I think its about believing in a self-sufficiency ideology (in three ways) and trying to adapt it to football (and be a revolutionary in that sense).

Those 3 ways are:

- the network approach, shared pool of varied resources, creating efficiencies
    - youth development - efficiencies from cheap labour then profit from progression
    - infrastructure - multi-usage providing different income streams

nothing fundamentally wrong with them if you have the right people involved and go about it the right way. We've had the wrong people involved and gone about it the wrong way.
    Yeah, this...plus I reckon he enjoys the match day experience.
  • Options
    to be clear I absolutely agree - this is an experiment for him and he truly believes he can make it work, however the question really is what will make him quit the experiment?

I believe that to be loss of cash.
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

to be clear I absolutely agree - this is an experiment for him and he truly believes he can make it work, however the question really is what will make him quit the experiment?

Why do you think that ?
  • Options
    se9addick said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Why do you think that ?
    what exactly? the experiment or the cash?

• Options
    At the start of the season there will be at least 80% of the season ticket holder so we have now.
  • Options
    Do you honestly believe that 8000 people will renew, unless of course you think RD/KM will be gone.
  • Options
    Ross said:

Ross said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Ross said:

Ross said:

Of course not, he is still trying to balance the books with regards to the playing side as much as possible.

However, £1m lost in season ticket sales may not be the be all and end all to him.

Please note: I am not supporting or justifying Roland's running of the club here!
    All sensible owners try to balance the books as much as possible. Throughout Charlton's history we've sold players to balance the books.

That's the one area where I have a tiny bit of sympathy with him, would you or I lose £150m of our own money to support a football team like the Bolton owner did?

The major failure has been in the first team management and recruitment. If a Curbishley type manager had been given the same budget over the last 2 years AND control over recruitment (backed up by a decent scouting network, of UK and overseas scouts) he would have built a competitive mid table team, with genuine aspirations for sneaking into the playoffs
  • Options
    clb74 said:

At the start of the season there will be at least 80% of the season ticket holder so we have now.

No chance. We have 10,000 now and on average only 7,000 attend.

We'll get 5,000ish, unless there are unreserved apologies from RD & KM and a 100% agreement to run Charlton like a professional football club and demonstrate this by getting in decent and appropriate players in the summer, which will not happen.
  • Options
    I reckon 2-3k season tickets absolute MAX!!! and half of them wont attend.
  • Options
    Do you honestly believe that 8000 people will renew, unless of course you think RD/KM will be gone.
    will lose half maybe bit more season ticket holders
    If he decides to get In a fight and lose a few quid can see very cheap season tickets bringing in quite a few new season ticket holders.
    leaving some current season ticket holder s thinking what's the point of me boycotting as still 6500 here

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    away games only till Doshitalot gone
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

se9addick said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Why do you think that ?

What has led you to believe that a "loss of cash will make him quit the experiment" ?

I agree that it's a (failing) experiment by the way.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

se9addick said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Why do you think that ?

What has led you to believe that a "loss of cash will make him quit the experiment" ?

You will find out in the coming weeks I'm sure :)

it isn't my story to tell TBF
  • Options
    clb74 said:

will lose half maybe bit more season ticket holders
    If he decides to get In a fight and lose a few quid can see very cheap season tickets bringing in quite a few new season ticket holders.
    leaving some current season ticket holder s thinking what's the point of me boycotting as still 6500 here

I agree that if they announce rock bottom prices, they may get more then 5,000.

But I'm talking about £150 S/Ts being the norm.
  • Options
    C4FC4L1f3 said:

se9addick said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

se9addick said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Why do you think that ?

Come on, C4FC4L1f3 !

I can see what you're trying to do .

But getting an old gal like me excited & then just walking away with a enigmatic smile on your face is , well, just cruel.

:smile:

• Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

se9addick said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

se9addick said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Why do you think that ?

Come on, C4FC4L1f3 !

But getting an old gal like me excited & then just walking away with a enigmatic smile on your face is , well, just cruel.

ha ha ha
  • Options

C4FC4L1f3 said:

se9addick said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

se9addick said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Why do you think that ?

Come on, C4FC4L1f3 !

I always thought you were the one with an enigmatic smile Fanny.

Especially after a few glasses of vino :)
  • Options
    se9addick said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

se9addick said:

C4FC4L1f3 said:

Why do you think that ?

Fair enough.