Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

***SLP: CARD calling for a Season Ticket Boycott***

Comments

• Options
    Thanks. On way to help!!
  • Options
    Southbank said:

Don't mean to offend, but could someone explain how on the one hand someone says they are not renewing but say they will still go to all the games and sit in the same place etc... I can't see how that supports this CARD initiative at all. In fact you will be giving more money to the club! If you mean to support the point of the season ticket boycott, surely you need to not buy a season ticket and also not buy a ticket and attend the match????

It is about exercising different pressures at different times. Between now and the start of next season a season ticket boycott means RD will have to find more money to guarantee the budget,as he will not have the big chunk of cash that season tickets bring.
    No one tactic aline will shift them, the season ticket boycott screws their budgeting.We will need to keep shifting tactics to keep the pressure up.
    But won't that mean he'll just reduce the player budget instead?
  • Options
    It can't get any lower!
  • Options

Southbank said:

Don't mean to offend, but could someone explain how on the one hand someone says they are not renewing but say they will still go to all the games and sit in the same place etc... I can't see how that supports this CARD initiative at all. In fact you will be giving more money to the club! If you mean to support the point of the season ticket boycott, surely you need to not buy a season ticket and also not buy a ticket and attend the match????

It is about exercising different pressures at different times. Between now and the start of next season a season ticket boycott means RD will have to find more money to guarantee the budget,as he will not have the big chunk of cash that season tickets bring.
    No one tactic aline will shift them, the season ticket boycott screws their budgeting.We will need to keep shifting tactics to keep the pressure up.
    But won't that mean he'll just reduce the player budget instead?
    Are you seriously concerned about that given what is going on?
  • Options

Individual match day ticket sales are far greater in cost to administer than a season ticket.
    There is absolutely no problem with buying a ticket on an ad hoc basis next season and almost any seat you are likely to want.
    A very small season ticket take up compared to much higher ones last time we were in the third division and similar clubs will make a huge statement to Roland and the wider world. It is vital that people support this initiative.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    When we're top at Christmas you'll all come crawling back :wink:
  • Options

Individual match day ticket sales are far greater in cost to administer than a season ticket.
    There is absolutely no problem with buying a ticket on an ad hoc basis next season and almost any seat you are likely to want.
    A very small season ticket take up compared to much higher ones last time we were in the third division and similar clubs will make a huge statement to Roland and the wider world. It is vital that people support this initiative.
    Ok, thanks for answer. However, buying tickets each game will also fund the club more than purchasing a season ticket, so the additional admin costs incurred by the club will in part be financed.
    As far as giving a statement to RD, I don't think not buying an ST but buying tickets will make him sit up and listen...I hope it will and I fully support all efforts to force a regime change, but not sure whether this will. Although ST's will be down, he will be happy in the sharp increase in match day ticket sales.
  • Options
    Essex_Al said:

When we're top at Christmas you'll all come crawling back smile:

Top of League 1? What an achievement.
  • Options
    LoOkOuT said:

Essex_Al said:

When we're top at Christmas you'll all come crawling back smile:

Top of League 1? What an achievement.
    You'll still come crawling back though!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I had my season ticket in my hand ready to throw into the face of someone at the protest but there was only Mick Everett there who is of any note. And I like him!

We need more people going to these protests. Those giving it large about invading the stadium can start doing it as opposed to making a noise about it.
  • Options

Ok, thanks for answer. However, buying tickets each game will also fund the club more than purchasing a season ticket, so the additional admin costs incurred by the club will in part be financed.
    As far as giving a statement to RD, I don't think not buying an ST but buying tickets will make him sit up and listen...I hope it will and I fully support all efforts to force a regime change, but not sure whether this will. Although ST's will be down, he will be happy in the sharp increase in match day ticket sales.
    In practice though most people without a season ticket will not attend every match, so I doubt if there is any revenue gain. In any case, they'll have gone before they get all the money.
  • Options
    Just seen this on Facebook - are STs for next year on sale already ?
  • Options

Have stated before that the Fanackapans won't renew whilst RD & KM are in the house. First time in 25 years.

However, we shall attend all matches both home & away if possible and hopefully will be able to take the same seats that we've had at The Valley since the East Stand was built.

I realise this will inevitably mean shelling out more money in the season but I refuse to give any of our pension up front to this lot - just keep 'em guessing whether we'll be back for the next game.

Goes without saying that we'll be among the first to buy season tickets once they've left the building.

Support the team, NOT the regime.

People have to make their own minds up about what they are going to do and there is no right or wrong. However, the phrase "support the team, not the regime" holds no water if quoted by anyone prepared to give money to the club
  • Options
    How do you plan to support the team if you won't buy tickets then?
  • Options
    I am hoping that by a week before the new season things are sorted and I can get my usual season ticket (46th successive year) without feeling so torn. This is a tough one for me, the battle between principle and personal.
    Weirdly, if somebody said to me that Charlton would get promoted if I were to eat a bacon sandwich, I wouldn't eat the sandwich!

I really hate this situation we're in, really hate it.
  • Options

Have stated before that the Fanackapans won't renew whilst RD & KM are in the house. First time in 25 years.

However, we shall attend all matches both home & away if possible and hopefully will be able to take the same seats that we've had at The Valley since the East Stand was built.

I realise this will inevitably mean shelling out more money in the season but I refuse to give any of our pension up front to this lot - just keep 'em guessing whether we'll be back for the next game.

Goes without saying that we'll be among the first to buy season tickets once they've left the building.

Support the team, NOT the regime.

People have to make their own minds up about what they are going to do and there is no right or wrong. However, the phrase "support the team, not the regime" holds no water if quoted by anyone prepared to give money to the club
    Der. I am going to support the team by not supporting the team. Go figure.

You started off alright, as in there is no right and wrong, you do what you need to do.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I really hate the thought of us being relegated as I really do not want to be in L1 again!

Obviously whatever you do next season with regards renewing your season ticket is your own call and as already said, there is no right or wrong. Calling fans out that do want to renew is not on in my book!

Just a thought though:-

Roland is already losing approx. £3 million a year (likely to go up if we get relegated), if say he loses another £1.5 million through the loss of season ticket revenue he could be losing £4.5 million upwards next season.

So, our best players are going to be sold without any further investment in the team, the likelihood of that is that we could well be relegated again. RD is a rich man, what if he digs his heels in and still wont sell?

Do all you passionate fans want the club in L2 or worse?

Look at all the problems Portsmouth have had, the one thing for them though is the fans are still there for the team. It certainly seems that all our team will have empty seats to play in front of!

A lot of 'what ifs', I know but everyone seemed to be happy with 'Support the team, not the regime' That seems to have diminished now!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    NelsonsFU said:

Bottom line is if you're happy with the situation then carry on putting your money in. I'm particularly upset for those contributing to Valley Golds youth development as the clubs stated aim is one of being a feeder club. I'd rather force his hand now than experience a slow creeping inevitable death.

Roland has absolutely no historical or emotional tie with our club and will dispose of our club in any way that maximises his profit.This is going to be really painful for those with Charlton close to their heart but this man cant lose as he owns all the tangible assets. Lets just hope that its a straight sale with a new owner because the alternatives are unpalatable. At least this time fans have mobilised and it wont happen so tamely as last time. With any luck enough barriers can be put in place to ensure that sale to a new regime is his only option.

Plenty of us put our money where our mouth is when buying shares in the club back in the late 80s. It was largely an emotional decision born out of a relief that the club had survived and none of us expected to get rich - we all lost our money 100% !. Those that really owned the club didn't. That's when I first realised we were being taken for a ride by these so called "Charlton people". Before anyone says "what about all the money they pumped into the club and lost "...did they? or did they "loan" it or place it into a tangible asset - the ground ? Bit like the banking crisis, they made the mistakes and we paid for it.

I live locally and most people I know would describe themselves as Charlton fans and see the club as representative of our area - few if any, attend regularly. It wouldn't take too much to encourage them back but the club needs to demonstrate ambition. I cant think of any positive statement coming out of the club that proves they have any ambition whatsoever.

Make no mistake that while Roland may not care a fig whether the club is competitive or not, he is more than happy for all us mug punters (sorry customers) to continue subsidising his "player farm".

Season ticket, Valley gold, merchandise- not a chance from me.

In fairness, a number of the pre-2011 directors wrote off a lot of money, much more than the 2009 bond issue, which is what is still sitting in the books. You can argue that they had bought a nice seat at a high price for the PL years, but in reality they put in a lot of money and didn't get it back, even accepting that many other fans put in smaller but still substantial sums and had it written off through no fault of theirs.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Essex_Al said:

I really hate the thought of us being relegated as I really do not want to be in L1 again!

Obviously whatever you do next season with regards renewing your season ticket is your own call and as already said, there is no right or wrong. Calling fans out that do want to renew is not on in my book!

Just a thought though:-

Roland is already losing approx. £3 million a year (likely to go up if we get relegated), if say he loses another £1.5 million through the loss of season ticket revenue he could be losing £4.5 million upwards next season.

So, our best players are going to be sold without any further investment in the team, the likelihood of that is that we could well be relegated again. RD is a rich man, what if he digs his heels in and still wont sell?

Do all you passionate fans want the club in L2 or worse?

Look at all the problems Portsmouth have had, the one thing for them though is the fans are still there for the team. It certainly seems that all our team will have empty seats to play in front of!

A lot of 'what ifs', I know but everyone seemed to be happy with 'Support the team, not the regime' That seems to have diminished now!

Of course not but if that's what it takes to rid us of this crazy regime then so be it. I said right at the outset of the SIOI B&W campaign if ultimately the Phoenix has to rise from the ashes as AFC Charlton then so be it. This is not our club any more as we knew it, doing nothing is not an option for me and the fear of lower league football is not a deterrent from forcing the issue however long it takes to rid us of the circus owner and his female ringmaster.
  • Options
    NelsonsFU said:

Bottom line is if you're happy with the situation then carry on putting your money in. I'm particularly upset for those contributing to Valley Golds youth development as the clubs stated aim is one of being a feeder club. I'd rather force his hand now than experience a slow creeping inevitable death.

Roland has absolutely no historical or emotional tie with our club and will dispose of our club in any way that maximises his profit.This is going to be really painful for those with Charlton close to their heart but this man cant lose as he owns all the tangible assets. Lets just hope that its a straight sale with a new owner because the alternatives are unpalatable. At least this time fans have mobilised and it wont happen so tamely as last time. With any luck enough barriers can be put in place to ensure that sale to a new regime is his only option.

Plenty of us put our money where our mouth is when buying shares in the club back in the late 80s. It was largely an emotional decision born out of a relief that the club had survived and none of us expected to get rich - we all lost our money 100% !. Those that really owned the club didn't. That's when I first realised we were being taken for a ride by these so called "Charlton people". Before anyone says "what about all the money they pumped into the club and lost "...did they? or did they "loan" it or place it into a tangible asset - the ground ? Bit like the banking crisis, they made the mistakes and we paid for it.

I live locally and most people I know would describe themselves as Charlton fans and see the club as representative of our area - few if any, attend regularly. It wouldn't take too much to encourage them back but the club needs to demonstrate ambition. I cant think of any positive statement coming out of the club that proves they have any ambition whatsoever.

Make no mistake that while Roland may not care a fig whether the club is competitive or not, he is more than happy for all us mug punters (sorry customers) to continue subsidising his "player farm".

Season ticket, Valley gold, merchandise- not a chance from me.

But your entire premise is that not renewing will somehow "force his hand". I it would be lovely to think that we have that clout, but this is one of the richest men in his country, a few thousand non-renewals is a drop in the ocean for him.

I support the team, not the regime but I'll still be buying a season ticket next season in order that I can do the former.
  • Options
    Bottom line for me is anyone who goes to home games and doesn't boycott is adding to the problem. Attendance is only supporting the regimes's team. To buy a season ticket on top of that good God!
  • Options
    Many fans will not renew consciously in protest and some purely because they've had enough. The net result is that there will be a dramatic decrease in attendance and revenue. I don't know of any business which is prepared to run with increasing losses. He has no emotional tie with the club, is not a football philanthropist and "doesn't do failure". I believe it will force his hand and he will seek to turn his investment into a profitable business it whatever shape that may take.

Good luck in your future support - Charlton will always be "my club" but until it returns into being just that, I'm joining the absent majority for the time being.
  • Options
    Of course I care who makes up the XI on the pitch, and I would rather have XI Solly's out there than some of the players that we currently have. However, they are still wearing the red and white of Charlton, playing at The Valley and will have my support (when they're not pissing me off because of their shocking defending!).

I am not letting the terrible twosome stop me from coming and supporting my club. And they shouldn't let anyone else either.

There should be strength in unity in the stands at games, saying 'this is our club, we will continue to support the team no matter what, and we're not going to let you force us out.'

I agree that we should not be putting our money into the club, but lets carry on doing that through boycotting programme sales, catering and the club shop, not through the only thing that means we can watch our team in the home that we fought to save all those years ago.

Until finances, work, family or health dictate otherwise I will be wanting to support my team at home, and that is why I will be renewing my season ticket.