Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Comments

• They didn't like him telling the investigation what they've been covering up, and continue to cover up, for years.

Lovely organisation :wink:
  • There is more to this, listening to Jeremy Vine on radio now.
  • No more Soul on Sunday :neutral:
  • edited February 2016
    Stig said:

No more Soul on Sunday :neutral:

Solar radio SKY 0129 sunday morning 8am to 10am with Clive Richardson playing Classic soul & Rhythm & Blues.
  • Dont say that... the defenders of the Brit Bashing Corporation will be along any minute.
  • The BBC say they interviewed him, he claims they didn't. Dame Wossname rejects his (Blackburn's) claim. Does she say why?
  • Who on earth would lie about being interviewed about that though? Let alone directly relating to an incident which later involved a suicide.

A suicide relating to claims that now seem far from farfetched. Fucking tragic, and hits home how so many dispicable acts went unpunished for so long.
  • edited February 2016
    Lots to come out in the wash here. Best to reserve judgement for now.

Likely all parties will come out looking bad.

Apropos of nothing, but Tony Blackburn has always seemed a bit creepy to me.
  • Grew up on his radio London slots
  • Sponsored links:

Pfner pfner

Pfner pfner
    Yer fecker MaM... Had to physically tear my fingers from the keyboard not to reply to that one!!!!
  • Blackburn now threatening to sue the BBC. I bet he doesn't.
  • Rule 1.

Not a good idea to boast about how many Females you have slept with.
    Tony Blackburn said thousands a few years ago.
    Can't remember too many men who boast like this, say they checked the ID
    of the females involved.
    Bill Roach did the same thing(boasting) and he had to face a court case.

I would be amazed if Blackburn sued the BBC.
  • all very strange .. The 'dame' who took seemingly forever to compile this whitewash of a 1,000 page set of documents refrained from naming 'witness A7', a. k. a. Mr Blackburn for reasons of 'confidentiality', then he is very publicly named, shamed and sacked ..
    we'll never know BUT I would wager that many of the BBC managers and controllers knew all about Savile (the onus on the Vile bit here) and Hall's penchant for interfering with young females and the occasional young lad .. nothing was done as the BBC was regarded, mostly by its corporate self, as above legal niceties and was a law unto itself ..
    the latter point has proven to be pretty much the case as evidenced by this disgrace of a so called 'report', the latest in a chain of very expensive and ultimately time and money wasting 'investigations' into scandal and wrong doing in high places
  • I worked for the BBC in the early eighties, female staff even in management were treated appallingly by bigoted male staff with huge egos, also on the ground within engineering and TV OB a real anything goes if your one of the lads culture ensued. Even allowing for 'thats how things were then' it was pretty grim.
  • We all knew really, just didn't protest.
  • masicat said:

We all knew really, just didn't protest.

Sticky Fingers ?
  • Did he start his action today? Said he would sue, ha ha. Surely wrongful dismissal after 50 years at the very least.
  • Sponsored links:

• The bbc treat everyone appallingly. Although I support the idea of the bbc it's run by complete dickheads. The production company I work for makes a point to stay away from BBC productions. Worked with a few ex BBC guys as well and they've always got an air of snobiness to them.

The place needs gutting and rebuilt.
  • Two things.

First, my aunt (Mum's step sister really) worked for the Beeb. She was a secretary but her boss was not involved in the TV production side of things, she was Admin. Although she could get tickets for programmes without the usual wait. Back in the 70s she said she could get me TOTP tickets but said, just don't go if Saville is on. I declined anyway , not my idea of fun back then. But if she knew it is very odd indeed isn't it that Tony Hall denied knowing anything about the Saville rumours? Does that stack up at all?

Second, having worked in similar organisations to the Beeb, it is inconceivable to me that individuals like Bill Cotton would not have had a very full set of appointment diaries and that these diaries would not have been archived. So, there should be absolute proof of Blackburn's meeting. If there isn't, well, draw your own conclusions.
  • Interesting story this one according to Tony Blackburn no meeting took place hence what cafcfan is saying makes a lot of sense. Personally I always found Blackburn a bit cheesey but his assessment of Saville as a lousy broadcaster was at least on the money. This whole Yewtree operation has been very badly handled, there were various accusations that were never proved, Jim Davidson, Jimmy Tarbuck etc. and some did very good things like trapping Rolf Harris and Stewart Hall.

But I can't help feeling that Tony Blackburn has been hung out to dry here of course time may prove otherwise but it will be interesting to see if he really does sue the BBC.
  • If Blackburn sues all that is likely to happen is that more doubt is cast about his actions or knowledge. Im not sure he will be able to "disprove" anything. I'm not doubting his complete innocence but he's had a good run and I think he might be wise to let sleeping dogs lie.
  • Can agree SHG I think it's whats known as a rock and a hard place.
  • If Blackburn sues all that is likely to happen is that more doubt is cast about his actions or knowledge. Im not sure he will be able to "disprove" anything. I'm not doubting his complete innocence but he's had a good run and I think he might be wise to let sleeping dogs lie.

....and a woof woof to Arnold.

....and a woof woof to Arnold.
    Arnold wouldn't be allowed on the radio nowadays :)
  • Shrew said:

I worked for the BBC in the early eighties, female staff even in management were treated appallingly by bigoted male staff with huge egos, also on the ground within engineering and TV OB a real anything goes if your one of the lads culture ensued. Even allowing for 'thats how things were then' it was pretty grim.

Agree with that, and of course you were flogged off, along with technology, and studios\ costumes. and most of the key resources under my time there. The BBC became an 'output company'
    , not a public broadcasting company. I was dumbstruck when the BBC on the day that the Saville revelations were broken, that the main news story was that ' these incidents had not 'happened on bbc premises', Talk about distance yourself..........
    Complete nonsense, as they also had no knowledge of the incidents at the time, or so they claimed.
    Never met Blackburn, who I think at the time was working for Capital Gold?.

'Talent' as these individuals were known, had there own production and there own agents as in the case of Clarkeson, and Brand. We all know the results of that shambles. Ironically JC had threatened to sue my editor over the excesses of Top Gear!. Mind you the heads of departments were very sensitive to there 'domains'. Most things had to go through the press office even for the Internal communications department that I worked for.

Most presenters are self employed, or at least were.

• I have said this a few times before, but it's worth repeating. When Blackburn and David Hamilton were doing the breakfast and morning shows respectively in the very early days of Capital Gold, they used to have quite a lot of banter during the handover - all very Smashy and Nicey - whenever there was a mention of Savile (who was also on Gold at the time) they would play a blast of Gary Pucket's "Young Girl". At the time I just assumed he liked 'em young, but legal. I am guessing that they and others (not just those inside the Beeb) knew a bit more about it.