Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Euell to return to U21 role

2»

Comments

• Options
    Probably a good move for all concerned, really. Without being on the training ground, it's hard to quite know what his impact has been, but I haven't heard or seen anything that indicates he's an absolute prodigy as a coach or manager. Roughly 18 months in to his coaching career, there is still a lot for him to learn, and right now it's best to do that at a youth/academy level. Definitely hope he turns out to be a good coach, and I think that learning his trade and mentoring young player learning theirs is a good way to grow and develop.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Probably a good move for all concerned, really. Without being on the training ground, it's hard to quite know what his impact has been, but I haven't heard or seen anything that indicates he's an absolute prodigy as a coach or manager. Roughly 18 months in to his coaching career, there is still a lot for him to learn, and right now it's best to do that at a youth/academy level. Definitely hope he turns out to be a good coach, and I think that learning his trade and mentoring young player learning theirs is a good way to grow and develop.

As someone who has yet to miss a KSC game, as much as I believe Jason is a club legend, I still believe he is not in the same league as Nathan Jones was as U21 coach.

Nathan was tough on the kids but, by God, they would have crawled over broken glass for him...
  • Options

As someone who has yet to miss a KSC game, as much as I believe Jason is a club legend, I still believe he is not in the same league as Nathan Jones was as U21 coach.

Nathan was tough on the kids but, by God, they would have crawled over broken glass for him...

Aye, and I was I kind of thinking of the effusive praise Jones would get when he was U21 manager, and the fact that Euell doesn't seem to have gotten that.

I will again admit my perspective on this is very tenuous, and just because the players do not come out in constant praise of JE doesn't mean he's not a very good coach.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Aye, and I was I kind of thinking of the effusive praise Jones would get when he was U21 manager, and the fact that Euell doesn't seem to have gotten that.

I will again admit my perspective on this is very tenuous, and just because the players do not come out in constant praise of JE doesn't mean he's not a very good coach.
    I watched a KSC game early this season (against Hythe), and was very impressed with Euell and Steve Avory. Mainly for their handling of Lookman. The weather was "Yeovil-esque", and Ade was trying all the tricks. Back heels, dummies, the lot. None of them were coming off. But, at no time did either Jase or Steve tell him to cut it out. They constantly encouraged him, saying "it will come". Lo and behold, he scored a 90th minute screamer.

However, I have always thought that Jase is maybe a little too soft with them? Nathan used to give them a Hell of a roasting if they messed up, but it had the effect of instilling a loyalty in the players, which I'm not sure that they quite have now..,
  • Options

I watched a KSC game early this season (against Hythe), and was very impressed with Euell and Steve Avory. Mainly for their handling of Lookman. The weather was "Yeovil-esque", and Ade was trying all the tricks. Back heels, dummies, the lot. None of them were coming off. But, at no time did either Jase or Steve tell him to cut it out. They constantly encouraged him, saying "it will come". Lo and behold, he scored a 90th minute screamer.

However, I have always thought that Jase is maybe a little too soft with them? Nathan used to give them a Hell of a roasting if they messed up, but it had the effect of instilling a loyalty in the players, which I'm not sure that they quite have now..,

I think that is excellent coaching from Euell/Avory, especially when you hear stories of English coaches trying to coach the "flair" out of players, and the general skepticism in the British game toward "Fancy Dan" players. Ade is a pacy, tricky player. It would be easy to say to him "stop the tricks so we can win." But I think backing a player who is 17/18 is the best thing you can do for most.

I have read that there is an overemphasis at youth level in England on winning, and less emphasis on player development. At younger levels, I think that really needs to change. At this level, it's much tougher. As you say, it seems the players had a real allegiance to NJ, and that's fantastic. And that can be fantastic for a club and those players if a bunch of them graduate to the first team together. But the risk, as pointed out above, is placing winning above player development (not saying NJ did that, just trying to make the point). And of course different players react and grow under different circumstances.

I know the Guardian have done various articles on the development of youth players in England, if I can track down the articles I'm thinking of I'll post them.

• Options
    Jason Euell is set to return to his role as Under-21s coach at Charlton after failing to agree a deal to stay on as a first-team coach, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club.
    Charlton were hoping to keep Euell on the first-team coaching staff, but they have been unable to agree a deal with the Addicks legend.

A source close to the club has told HITC Sport that the interim first-team coach is very disappointed that he was unable to agree basic terms with the club.

The source also added Euell was unhappy about the length of time the process of offering him a deal to stay as first-team coach took.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    colin1961 said:

Don't think Euell was up to it ...
    still think Jackson will take over under 21 manager in the summer as well

Maybe we should give you the U-21 job seeing how well you know the game....oh!
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

I think that is excellent coaching from Euell/Avory, especially when you hear stories of English coaches trying to coach the "flair" out of players, and the general skepticism in the British game toward "Fancy Dan" players. Ade is a pacy, tricky player. It would be easy to say to him "stop the tricks so we can win." But I think backing a player who is 17/18 is the best thing you can do for most.

I have read that there is an overemphasis at youth level in England on winning, and less emphasis on player development. At younger levels, I think that really needs to change. At this level, it's much tougher. As you say, it seems the players had a real allegiance to NJ, and that's fantastic. And that can be fantastic for a club and those players if a bunch of them graduate to the first team together. But the risk, as pointed out above, is placing winning above player development (not saying NJ did that, just trying to make the point). And of course different players react and grow under different circumstances.

I know the Guardian have done various articles on the development of youth players in England, if I can track down the articles I'm thinking of I'll post them.

To be fair one of the reasons why people here are so keen for Euell to step up if the impressive winning record of the U21s! If they lost most weeks, I doubt he'd have even be offered the interim first team role
    ross1 said:

Jason Euell is set to return to his role as Under-21s coach at Charlton after failing to agree a deal to stay on as a first-team coach, HITC Sport understands from sources close to the club.
    Charlton were hoping to keep Euell on the first-team coaching staff, but they have been unable to agree a deal with the Addicks legend.

A source close to the club has told HITC Sport that the interim first-team coach is very disappointed that he was unable to agree basic terms with the club.

The source also added Euell was unhappy about the length of time the process of offering him a deal to stay as first-team coach took.

A bit weird that. One thing that we've always had under RD is an English coach in the management team, whether Matthew or Euell, I wonder if they'll ignore that previous criteria now
  • Options
    ross1 said:

If the reason Euell is moving back to the U21s is because he and the club can't agree terms despite the fact that he was wanted on the first team coaching squad then that is incredibly frustrating.

How many first team coaches (not including Riga) do we have now? Two?
  • Options
    Sounds like JE is unlikely to stick around long in that case...sadly.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    RobRob
    edited February 2016
    Jason's more or less the only football person around the club now. Regardless of how good or bad he is, he is Charlton.
  • Options
    Did they not give him a new contract and, because they've taken so long, he's decided to resume his original role?
  • Options
    Euell back with the U21s Clark promoted to first team duties.

http://mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-jason-euell-2969878.aspx
  • Options
    They had (amongst others) Damian Matthew on a rolling six month contract.
    It is known as the building a better tomorrow together contract.
  • Options

Euell back with the U21s Clark promoted to first team duties.

http://mobile.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-athletic-jason-euell-2969878.aspx

Good news according to a couple of lifers, that frequent Sparrow's Lane.
  • Options
    He has been usurped by Clark. Dead man walking.
  • Options
    I look forward to seeing him give the facts at a Bromley Addicks meeting once he has inevitably departed.
  • Options
    Just graduated from the "effective board member" programme ... RD clutching at straws to win back supporters?