Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Manny Pacquiao's Criticism of Homosexuals

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35610531

I'm an atheist so... did God hate, detest and want homosexuals put to death or not? Presumably this refers to the pyscotic death to all Old Testament God and not the completely rewritten history New Testament version of the guy? I'm genuinely interested so don't hit the abuse button.... Yet

Comments

• Options
    I'm not religious and don't know much about Christianity, but I think Christians believe that Jesus' death rendered the Book of Leviticus obsolete. In Leviticus it was necessary for people to make regular offerings to God to atone for sins and give thanks. Jesus' death (the greatest sacrifice in their eyes) allowed God and the people to begin again without the need for sacrifice. Jesus had basically paid in advance for any sins that would be committed.

So when Jesus died he wiped out the need to kill homosexuals as those laws were superseded by the new relationship with God. Obviously Christians still see homosexuality as a sin but presumably this sin is no worse than any other since their God always forgives. So instead of stoning I assume a "proper" Christian would just quietly condemn.

If Pacquiao is insistent on keeping to the laws of Leviticus then I hope he sticks to the funny ones too. My favourite is the one that prohibits the wearing of clothing woven from two types of material.
  • Options
    I shouldn't think the likes of wifebeater mayweather and "Einstein" fury have opinions on any subject worth hearing.

Still, Id rather views were expressed and challenged that suppressed I suppose
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

I shouldn't think the likes of wifebeater mayweather and "Einstein" fury have opinions on any subject worth hearing.

Didn't know Mayweather was a wife beater and all. So that's wife beater, homophobe and racist
  • Options

McBobbin said:

Didn't know Mayweather was a wife beater and all. So that's wife beater, homophobe and racist
    he makes pacquiao seem quite pleasant.

I have always wanted Maywether to fail. he is a public figure with far too much money and he's a complete bellend. not the first and he wont be the last but I hope that he squanders his money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ain't Mayweather and Fury said similar things in the past an all. Genuinely think that blokes who are so opinionated on this subject often are hiding summing. Not that it matters that they are

.....I don't have an opinion on it meself, obviously xx

Of course you don't darling :kissing_heart:
  • Options

Ain't Mayweather and Fury said similar things in the past an all. Genuinely think that blokes who are so opinionated on this subject often are hiding summing. Not that it matters that they are

.....I don't have an opinion on it meself, obviously xx

Of course you don't darling :kissing_heart:
    When is comes to that kind of thing, I'm strictly vegetarian!
  • Options

I'm not religious and don't know much about Christianity, but I think Christians believe that Jesus' death rendered the Book of Leviticus obsolete. In Leviticus it was necessary for people to make regular offerings to God to atone for sins and give thanks. Jesus' death (the greatest sacrifice in their eyes) allowed God and the people to begin again without the need for sacrifice. Jesus had basically paid in advance for any sins that would be committed.

So when Jesus died he wiped out the need to kill homosexuals as those laws were superseded by the new relationship with God. Obviously Christians still see homosexuality as a sin but presumably this sin is no worse than any other since their God always forgives. So instead of stoning I assume a "proper" Christian would just quietly condemn.

If Pacquiao is insistent on keeping to the laws of Leviticus then I hope he sticks to the funny ones too. My favourite is the one that prohibits the wearing of clothing woven from two types of material.

Great explanation.
    It's always mystified me why any Christian would decide that homosexuality should be considered worse than anything else.
  • Options

Except that many Christians, especially evangelicals in the US, choose to ignore the various other bits of the old testament like not cutting your hair and not eating pork but quote as gospel (see what I did there) the bit they choose to. So homosexuality is more and far worse than just any other sin such as adultery, the world was created in seven days, etc etc.

The Old Testament is still part of the bible and still believed by many Christians
  • Options
    Seems to be one of these people who takes everything in the bible literally. I don't think intelligence is important in his profession.
  • Options

Except that many Christians, especially evangelicals in the US, choose to ignore the various other bits of the old testament like not cutting your hair and not eating pork but quote as gospel (see what I did there) the bit they choose to. So homosexuality is more and far worse than just any other sin such as adultery, the world was created in seven days, etc etc.

The Old Testament is still part of the bible and still believed by many Christians
    Not just in the US either, sadly!
  • Options
    I would volunteer to put his balls in a vice and tighten it until his Neanderthal views changed. Utter twat who doesn't deserve the oxygen of publicity, or indeed any oxygen
  • Options
    By the way, I don't accept it's homophobic to hold a conscience of faith - but if you want to spout a load of judgement about people rather than love them then you can only expect to be judged back, right?
  • Options
    rikofold said:

By the way, I don't accept it's homophobic to hold a conscience of faith - but if you want to spout a load of judgement about people rather than love them then you can only expect to be judged back, right?

I always thought that only God can judge, although I might've got that from Dot Cotton
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

rikofold said:

I always thought that only God can judge, although I might've got that from Dot Cotton
    And Richard Rufus.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

Right 100%

It's a bit like; If I've gotta listen to your opinion, be ready to listen to mine

• Options
    rikofold said:

the whole point of Christianity is forgiveness for sin.
    Exactly this.
  • Options
    rikofold said:

I imagine the American ultra-conservative types would justify themselves by saying they are "saving" people from the eternal hellfire. Believing they are like fathers disciplining their children.
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35610531

I'm an atheist so... did God hate, detest and want homosexuals put to death or not? Presumably this refers to the pyscotic death to all Old Testament God and not the completely rewritten history New Testament version of the guy? I'm genuinely interested so don't hit the abuse button.... Yet

If you're interested try Apologetics.com Radio Show on iTunes, it's a podcast that answers question like yours.

• Options

Blimey - you've done a good job there then mate!!
  • Options
    But there are so many religious beliefs and strands that have their own rules and interpretations. The bible is the most fascinating book ever written but it is important to understand that its contents are a load of nonsense. You have Jesus, who taught peace and love, but you find so many Christians believe in the opposite. Look at the intolerance of the American bible belt. Jesus was a bit of a red, imagine the outrage if Jeremy Corbyn or Bernie Sanders went round saying rich people won't go to heaven, but they are happy for any non hardcore conservative to be strung up from a tree.

There are actually people in America who won't go to see Les Miserables - not because they don't like musicals - but because the story involves revolution. The period of the revolution and why people may have revolted means nothing to them. The fact that it is a tool for the story and means nothing beyond that means nothing to them. So when they make these homophobic statements, it is part of the same narrow minded bollocks.
  • Options
    Why dig out the Americans all the time?
    What about the intolerance in African, middle eastern or Latino cultures.