Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Child rescue alert

140K kids a year in the UK every year go missing, they never said how many are found

Childrescuealert.org.uk

Seems like a great idea to try and fight every parents worst fear

Comments

• Options
    Jesus Christ what a statistic :-/
  • Options
    It took my attention away from the ipad and onto what was being said, from what I gather if you sign up you get certain details that assist in capturing information from the area the kid goes misding and ultimately assists in finding them,

Theres milions of people that are not peados and only so few that are, this way those decent people in the world can help combat the problem and certainly try and assist in saging the lives of kids ,
  • Options
    Done.

That is truly astonishing. 140,000 children a year?!?!?! How has this not come to light sooner?
  • Options
    I do worry for you sometimes, NLA. You really do need to not worry about your family so much. You are beginning to sound like one of those over-protective parents that teenagers just can't wait to run away from.

An article I found on the topic also says this: In 2010/11, 91 per cent of missing incidents reported to the police were closed within 48 hours, with 99 per cent of all missing cases solved within one year. So the reported missing AND still missing figure seems to be about 1,400. It's why the unusual and tragic incidents like Millie, Madeline, etc remain in the minds and in the media - because they are so rare.

So, maybe that number of kids do leave/go missing from home but it seems the vast majority find there way back or to somewhere else that is safer.

Figures available on the NSPCC web site (although, strangely, you have to dig deep to find them) indicate that somewhere around 25% of kids live in households where there has been domestic and/or violent abuse.

It's perhaps not surprising that some go missing. But very few of them will have been kidnapped.

BTW, child homicides are thankfully quite rare. Around 50-60 a year it seems. Of that total, about 45 a year are killed either by a parent or someone known to the child.

Sometimes the outside world might just be safer.

• Options
    Dont worry for me I am fine,

The point being that so far the whole UK postal service is signed up, thats people who are on the ground who may see something that helps find a kid,

Me and my team of employees work all over the country and are normally in and around residential or business areas, plus we use the motorway network and a roads extensively, if a high percentage signed up to the programme vital information can be gathered and distributed to assist

If it helps one family, one child then its a great thing to do, I have already approached them to see if I can add their details to the side of our work vans
  • Options
    Www.childrescuealert.org.uk

See for yourself really worthwhile
  • Options

Latest News
    11/02/2016:
    Stephen Fry leads campaign to make every second count when a child is reported missing

Stephen Fry is urging members of the public to help save the lives of high risk missing children as part of a two-week long national campaign launching today. People are asked to register for free Child Rescue Alerts, activated when a child has gone missing and police believe their life is in imminent danger.

Fry appears in a short animation and major outdoor advertising campaign launched today, developed with pro bono support from true crime network Crime + Investigation® (CI) and outdoor ad serving platform OpenLoop. A comic-book version of Fry reminds members of the public that you don’t need to be a superhero to save the day; simply having eyes and ears on the ground after a child goes missing may help save their life.

Similar systems around the world have helped in the search for hundreds of children. Child Rescue Alerts have been issued three times in the UK, most recently in March last year. Over 315,000 people are currently registered to receive targeted Child Rescue Alerts, which are issued by the charity Missing People on request of the police. The campaign aims to drive even more people and businesses to help; the digital out of home campaign alone will achieve an estimated 60 million impressions over the fortnight.

Missing People charity patron Stephen Fry said: “I am delighted to be the animated face of this campaign. I believe that Child Rescue Alert should be a national institution – something for everyone to find out about and sign up to. It reminds me of a fire extinguisher – everyone should have one ready to use at a moment’s notice but we all hope that we will never need it.”

Child Rescue Alert is a partnership by the National Crime Agency, Missing People and education technology company Groupcall. It has been available as a national policing tool since 2008 and was enhanced in 2014 to allow the public to get involved thanks to funding from players of People’s Postcode Lottery Dream Fund. In 2016, the service is being funded by Royal Mail, which has registered the handheld devices of 123,000 postmen and women across the UK to receive alerts.

Jo Youle, Chief Executive of the charity Missing People said: “Time and again at the charity we see communities rally together when a local child goes missing. Child Rescue Alert is thankfully not issued often – it’s for the most vulnerable of children going missing. We are asking everyone to join us and register to be alerted as soon as possible if a child goes missing in their communities.”

Bob Geldof, co-founder of technology company Groupcall, which provides the technology behind Child Rescue Alert, will complete the campaign by honouring companies and individuals involved at an awards ceremony later in February. Sir Bob said: “It’s a no-brainer. If your child went missing and their life was in immediate danger you would want to get the message out in minutes. If you care about children’s safety please sign up today for free at childrescuealert.org.uk”.

To register text HERO and your postcode to 85080. Registration costs a standard network text message rate. Obtain bill payer’s permission. Customer care 0208 392 4571. Once registered, it is then free to receive

30/11/2015:
    2016 Child Rescue Alert funder announced

To mark the one-year anniversary of its partnership with Child Rescue Alert partner Missing People, Royal Mail has announced that it is contributing £50,000 to fund the national Child Rescue Alert system in 2016.

Royal Mail will be funding the Child Rescue Alert service for a year, starting from January 2016. It will ensure the operation of a 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year system, for one year. The specific criteria and urgent nature of Child Rescue Alerts means that the charity’s expert helpline team must be trained and ready to issue an alert at any time.

The partnership between Royal Mail and Missing People was launched in November 2014, with Royal Mail distributing ‘high risk' alerts to its postmen and women through their handheld scanners. In its first year, fifty alerts have been issued to Royal Mail employees. Thirty five of those missing people have been found safe and well.

Jeffrey Oatham, Head of Corporate Responsibility and Community Investment, Royal Mail said: “Our £50,000 contribution marks the next step in our partnership with Missing People. Royal Mail is dedicated to supporting the communities that we serve. Royal Mail’s handheld scanners are already set up to receive Child Rescue Alerts and we are encouraging all of our 143,000 UK employees to sign up to receive Child Rescue Alerts on their personal mobiles. This can be done through the Child Rescue Alert website”.

Jo Youle, CEO, Missing People said: “Royal Mail’s funding of Child Rescue Alert next year will allow us to continue to support missing people, their families and police forces all around the UK”.

Missing People runs the Child Rescue Alert system with the CEOP (Child Exploitation and Online Protection) command of the National Crime Agency and technology company Groupcall. When a Child Rescue Alert is issued, it is sent directly to both Royal Mail employees and individual members of the public, who can sign up for free to receive alerts by text message, email, app notifications and social media. Alerts reach many more people through broadcast and mainstream media including digital media

A staggering 140,000 children go missing each year in the UK. Recent research has shown a 13% increase in child abductions in the past year, when nearly 900 child abductions and child kidnappings were reported in England, Wales and Northern Ireland. The six hours following a child’s disappearance – often referred to as the ‘golden hours’ – are critical to the investigation. The sooner the public is alerted to a disappearance, the greater the chance of the child’s safe return

A spokesperson for National Crime Agency said “The speed at which a large number of people can be reached and the opportunities for targeting the search area through Facebook will be valuable tools for police forces in the event of issuing a CRA.” A spokesperson for Groupcall says “Groupcall are delighted that Facebook are now supporting Child Rescue Alert having provided the technology behind the system”.
  • Options
    Aah, I think I'm making sense of this now. "abductions and kidnapping". So, presumably, a huge percentage of these cases relate to estranged families where one parent has removed a child or children from the care of the other parent without consent or family court authority?
    I think I remember reading that Pakistan was by far and away the destination of choice for the abductor.
  • Options
    Thats for the authorities to sort out, all I am trying to do is raise awareness of a great cause
  • Options
    We have what they call Amber Alerts out here in Canada. If a kid goes missing the authorities can choose to issue one and word gets spread as quickly as possible via social media, news, radio, motorway electronic signs etc. They'll initially be provincial alerts but can be opened up to other provinces and even into the U.S. as deemed necessary.

Seems a simple but entirely sensible thing to do in this day and age when you can make 80% of the population aware within a few hours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

We have what they call Amber Alerts out here in Canada. If a kid goes missing the authorities can choose to issue one and word gets spread as quickly as possible via social media, news, radio, motorway electronic signs etc. They'll initially be provincial alerts but can be opened up to other provinces and even into the U.S. as deemed necessary.

Seems a simple but entirely sensible thing to do in this day and age when you can make 80% of the population aware within a few hours.

Hows the perception of it from residents and does it have successfull results
  • Options

Dont worry for me I am fine,

The point being that so far the whole UK postal service is signed up, thats people who are on the ground who may see something that helps find a kid,

Me and my team of employees work all over the country and are normally in and around residential or business areas, plus we use the motorway network and a roads extensively, if a high percentage signed up to the programme vital information can be gathered and distributed to assist

If it helps one family, one child then its a great thing to do, I have already approached them to see if I can add their details to the side of our work vans

Top man NLA. The bit about the work vans is a great idea.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    so more than 1% of kids go missing every year? at the very least there is some major manipulation of figures going on bordering on scaremongering

(not intended to be negative about the scheme itself which looks to be a really good thing, just a frustration at the horrid use of stats which would actually put me off of looking into this further)
  • Options
    Sometimes manipulating figures is ok though surely, theres no negatives in the campaign
  • Options

Sometimes manipulating figures is ok though surely, theres no negatives in the campaign

the problem is when I see something that's so obviously bullshit/scaremongering/whatever I'm very likely to not even bother looking into it any further and I'm sure I'm not alone

I'm much more likely to look into it if they give realistic figures

Then again you say it got your attention so maybe it does work

Anyway, you've now got my attention and I'll have a look at this later when I have more time

• Options
    Its all any of us can do, seems such an easy and workable soultion
  • Options
    That 140,000 is a misleading stat. If i bunked off school and didn't come home for my dinner, would you say I was missing? Sensationalism at its best.
  • Options
    rina said:

the problem is when I see something that's so obviously bullshit/scaremongering/whatever I'm very likely to not even bother looking into it any further and I'm sure I'm not alone

I'm much more likely to look into it if they give realistic figures

Then again you say it got your attention so maybe it does work

Anyway, you've now got my attention and I'll have a look at this later when I have more time

It's a good point @rina.
    When trying to find some background info on this topic I was quite annoyed and frustrated with the manipulation of statistics on the NSPCC web site. There was a lot of info on cases that would tug at the heart strings (and wallets) but you had to delve a long, long way into the site until you got to reports that actually had the hard facts. As heartbreaking as individual cases like Baby P are, they are not the norm. Unfortunately I got the impression the priority was keeping NSPCC staff in jobs by highlighting the extreme and by scaremongering. There was nothing I found that reassured parents or pointed out that their children were, in the main, safe out there in the big bad world.
    BTW, the NSPCC Site is a stark contrast to ROSPA's, where you can readily find lots of pertinent stuff. Like the 2mn accidents to children in the home each year that require attention at hospital. Or that while most such accidents occur in the living room, the serious ones happen in the kitchen - no surprise there. I was however shocked to find out that 28,000 children are poisoned in the home each year.
  • Options

Hows the perception of it from residents and does it have successfull results
    Never heard anyone say anything about them either way. Can't see why anyone would gave a problem with them. Lots of my friends share them on Facebook when they come out.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I regularly contribute to NSPCC .. personally I am not so concerned with 'missing children' the vast majority of whom turn up unharmed, I'm concerned with children who are mistreated, tortured and killed whilst at home in the 'bosom' of the family or who are exchanged amongst paedophiles or 'slave traders' ..
    a donation to NSPCC is more than worthwhile .. interesting that whilst the RSPCA has the 'royal' seal of approval, there's no such endorsement of the main children's welfare charity

EDIT just reread this and I agree that ANY initiative to secure the well being and safety of children is to be encouraged and backed up if and when possible
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2016
    "The NSPCC was granted its Royal Charter in 1895, when Queen Victoria became its first Royal Patron. It did not change its title to "Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children" or similar, as the name NSPCC was already well established, and to avoid confusion with the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA), which had already existed for more than fifty years."

I regularly contribute to NSPCC .. personally I am not so concerned with 'missing children' the vast majority of whom turn up unharmed, I'm concerned with children who are mistreated, tortured and killed whilst at home in the 'bosom' of the family or who are exchanged amongst paedophiles or 'slave traders' ..
    a donation to NSPCC is more than worthwhile .. interesting that whilst the RSPCA has the 'royal' seal of approval, there's no such endorsement of the main children's welfare charity

• Options
    It's free to register and free to receive the texts