Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Dominican Rep - Hols Advice

2»

Comments

• I find most of the Spanish all inclusives are just hotels that have converted and get bit busy as the bar and entertainment areas were not designed for that volume of people staying in the hotel each evening. The Caribbean resorts are more geared up to the AI experience with better stages, entertainment etc.

Plus you can obviously still go out of resort in Caribbean too.
  • Went to plata a while back
    Dont be put off by the negative comments
    It was probably £1000 cheaper than the other Caribbean islands
    Found a good dive centre in sousa if your into that
    Beaches are all nice and clear water
    Yes it is the cheap option compared to mexico
    Cuba etc and outside of the hotel/resort there isnt a great deal going on
    Had a sort of Jamaican feel to it outside of the resort
    Was a good looking golf course and fishing trips though
    But its a better option than benidorm!
    Enjoy
  • edited June 2017

I quite liked it. Relatively cheap for the Caribbean with not a whole lot to do but if you're happy lounging in the sun it's a good destination. If you're looking at DR it might be worth checking out Mexico (Riviera Mayo just outside of Cancun). Dare I say it similar, but with much more to do outside of the resort.

If you do go to DR order a visa from their embassy before you leave. Watching a plane full of people caught without and joining a massive queue whilst we walked straight through was incredibly satisfying.

Thanks for the tip on the visa, didn't know that and going there in October with family. Looking at their website, you can get their tourist card for £11.50 per person online, see link below :
    http://www.dominicanembassy.org.uk/Touristvisa.html