Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Congratulations VOTV

I read the wonderful article in VOTV this morning about the successful search for Charlton's third casualty of war, Herbert Nightingale. The dedication and pains it took to find this missing Charlton player is quite extraordinary and the closing paragraphs did indeed have me in tears :-

"So, after almost a decade of searching, despite him having avoided every history book ever written about our club, and exactly a century to the day, on January 13th, 2016, we were at last able to welcome Nobby back into the fold. This gesture, however late, is all the more poignant when I discovered the inscription on his grave: "Let those that come after see, that this name is not forgotten....."

"Welcome home, Nobby. It's been far too long, but the Charlton Athletic family will not forget you or your sacrifice for your country and Belgium, a century ago"

To me this encapsulates what Charlton and it's supporters are ALL about, sadly something RD & KM will NEVER, EVER understand !! And therefore when I once again attend the protest this Saturday I will be dedicating my actions to Nobby, may he Rest In Peace x

Comments

• Options
    Well said Sam.
  • Options
    I read it last night too - had somehow missed the thread on here about it. A very poignant story - RIP Nobby.

Strangely, you know, I think RD might even empathise a bit with this one - but not sure what the chances are of him reading it/ hearing about it? It might also challenge his rather blinkered view on football fans...

I'm also not sure how common a surname Nightingale is - I had a great uncle (by marriage) with that surname, and am now wondering if he could have been related to Nobby. He was Sam Nightingale.

• Options
    Agree with every word, congratulations to all those who contributed to this article and well done for getting a conclusion to this sad story.
  • Options

Glad you liked it, it's a very well written piece and had a tear in my eye when I first read it.

A few points of order

This was the thread on CL on the centenary of his death
    http://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/70948/lest-we-forget-charlton-player-h-nobby-nightingale-13-1-16

It was the museum who uncovered this (Clive Harris is a museum trustee as well as Club Historian. He also posts on here as @SE7toSG3). The other bloke mentioned, Ben Hayes, lurks on here as well ; - )

We're very grateful that Rick/VOTV gave it a proper space and the chance to be recorded in print but it's a Charlton Athletic Museum thing.

We carry on researching our early history and only yesterday @stig uncovered what we think must be the most decorated WW1 (or any war) Addick.

And this is the only known photo of Nobby

• Options
    It's a great article - the credit belongs to Clive, who wrote it, and the credited team who contributed to the search, however, rather than VOTV.
  • Options

I read it last night too - had somehow missed the thread on here about it. A very poignant story - RIP Nobby.

Strangely, you know, I think RD might even empathise a bit with this one - but not sure what the chances are of him reading it/ hearing about it? It might also challenge his rather blinkered view on football fans...

I'm also not sure how common a surname Nightingale is - I had a great uncle (by marriage) with that surname, and am now wondering if he could have been related to Nobby. He was Sam Nightingale.

Yeah, RD could be Nobby's grandson.
  • Options
    Points taken. However, in my somewhat emotional state my initial thought was to congratulate the publication for printing such a marvellous article. Like Weegie I too somehow missed the thread on here, so thanks Henry for the link to this. I too would like to offer my hearty congratulations & respect to ALL involved.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Sam lloyd said:

Points taken. However, in my somewhat emotional state my initial thought was to congratulate the publication for printing such a marvellous article. Like Weegie I too somehow missed the thread on here, so thanks Henry for the link to this. I too would like to offer my hearty congratulations & respect to ALL involved.

"ALL", yes, indeed - but don't forget it's a Charlton Athletic Museum thing.

They own any history to do with the club now. Or so it would seem.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Sam lloyd said:

Oh dear, how sad.

Yes the museum has a claim on the articles its trustees research and write, strange that but troll away anyway.

The rest of us normal fans are celebrating OUR collective history which we all share.

Back to ignore mode
  • Options
    "Ooo, Look at me, I was involved too, don't forget me!"

As you say, how sad.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Off_it said:

As you say, how sad.

I think you are being slightly offensive here?
  • Options
    .................and certainly ruined my well intentioned post, oh well carry on :-(
  • Options
    It was a great post Sam, ignore the bickering.

• Options
    Sam lloyd said:

.................and certainly ruined my well intentioned post, oh well carry on :-(

Indeed, it was a good post and thread so thanks again
  • Options
    Off_it said:

Sam lloyd said:

Evening.
    Apparently i've contributed to the museum.
    As have many other people.
    (Sir) Henry did a lot to set it up, again, as did many others.
    Sorry @Off_it , but not sure why the "They own any history to do with the club"....comment ?
    WE own the history and I think more appreciation should be shown to all who were involved in setting it up.
  • Options
    Off_it said:

As you say, how sad.

I think the "Ooo, look at me" is falling on you this time. Even on a topic such as this you can't resist making a dig.
    As you say, how sad.

Well done to everyone involved.
  • Options
    Well done to the museum and well done to VOTV for publishing. And no more spoiling a tribute thread with cheap jibes please!
  • Options
    Really good, strong issue that was.

Well done to all
  • Options
    blimey and I thought it was all about Nobby Nightingale, have I missed something?
  • Options
    Just Off_lt being a Nobby