Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Seb's Flag

Comments

• Options
    CARD announced their intention to bring banners in at noon. The club could have said "let them, they're only preaching to the converted (or 2% as they call them). Instead they reacted in a jack boot fashion in order to quell a peaceful, non-violent protest, shameful.
  • Options

seth plum said:

No Seb flag in the usual place for today's game.
    Yeah the troll will say it's only a flag what's the big deal, but seriously it is simply nasty, no not simply nasty, it is glorying in their nastiness and their exercise of power, just because they can.
    One specific individual, Katrien, hates and despises us and she demonstrates her hatred again and again, but maybe in her warped mind she probably thinks we deserve it for not showing her due deference and for protesting.
    I can certainly be a massive arsehole, and might deserve being got at, but Sebs flag? Really, Sebs flag?
    They are totally nasty, and I await the spin from the communications department.
    Sebs flag for goodness fecking sake. Sadly and poignantly pathetic and downright nasty.

When Seb got his flag back just before kick off they let him put it up in the usual place. It hung there for a while but Seb then took it down again, seemingly because the wind was doing its level best to blow it from the bars it was tied to.
    Sebastian himself took it down ?
  • Options
    PL54 said:

seth plum said:

Yeah the troll will say it's only a flag what's the big deal, but seriously it is simply nasty, no not simply nasty, it is glorying in their nastiness and their exercise of power, just because they can.
    One specific individual, Katrien, hates and despises us and she demonstrates her hatred again and again, but maybe in her warped mind she probably thinks we deserve it for not showing her due deference and for protesting.
    I can certainly be a massive arsehole, and might deserve being got at, but Sebs flag? Really, Sebs flag?
    They are totally nasty, and I await the spin from the communications department.
    Sebs flag for goodness fecking sake. Sadly and poignantly pathetic and downright nasty.

When Seb got his flag back just before kick off they let him put it up in the usual place. It hung there for a while but Seb then took it down again, seemingly because the wind was doing its level best to blow it from the bars it was tied to.
    Sebastian himself took it down ?
    He then went to put it up but I don't know why
  • Options
    cafc999 said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Yes I accept what you say entirely, it was horribly windy, and the flag would've been at risk if it had been replaced. However to re-wind a bit, somebody originally wanted the flag down. Maybe some other bodies said it could go back, but the initial decision originated somewhere didn't it?

Maybe it was a power trip...pathetic.
    Maybe it was ignorance...pathetic.
    maybe it was downright nastiness...pathetic.
    Maybe it was the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing...pathetic.
    Maybe the original decision was supposed to be some kind of equaliser because of the malarkey regarding Gwen son's flag...pathetic.

Somebody somewhere originally decided the flag ought not to be there and I can't see any reasonable justification for that decision, but I can see plenty of weaseling ones.
    Sorry but when was it taken off him? On entering the ground or once in? To be fair I don't kniw Seb from Adam as I guess a steward outside would not if that is where it was taken.

Irrespective if CARD have publicly chosen to initiate a banner campaign without notice to the club but via social media we have to expect some reaction as indeed the CARD announcement anticipated.

It was put right by the club very quickly as I interpret that tweet from Dave Lockwood.
    Put right by the club after several tweets to the club about it.

The problem is that while seb's flag got taken down a near identical one positioned in a near identical position albeit on the opposite side of the stand was allowed to stay.

It's not as if the club haven't been guilty of using spin recently is it?
    What??

Are you suggesting he was singled out ? I ask again as I don't know if the flag taken down once in or away from him before he entered the ground. Either way without knowing the full facts it's difficult to comment further.

I'd like to believe it was a simple confused situation that got put right.

• Options
    'Simple confused'?
    If it was simple why was it confusing, and if it was confusing why didn't somebody seek simplification?
    As said, put right after a reaction. Maybe the officials went looking for Seb to invite him to replace the flag they invited him to take down which would've been appropriate.
    I wonder how things would've been had there not been a reaction at all.
  • Options
    When we know the facts.....
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Quite simply it wouldn't have been returned if it wasn't for the immediate shitstorm on social media

Or, it shouldn't have been taken off him in the first place.
    Then there would have been no "shitstorm" on "social media", which, incidentally, I first knew about the flag being taken on Charlton Life.

[Edit] Sorry, meant to say Thanks for keeping me informed.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

cafc999 said:

seth plum said:

seth plum said:

Yes I accept what you say entirely, it was horribly windy, and the flag would've been at risk if it had been replaced. However to re-wind a bit, somebody originally wanted the flag down. Maybe some other bodies said it could go back, but the initial decision originated somewhere didn't it?

Maybe it was a power trip...pathetic.
    Maybe it was ignorance...pathetic.
    maybe it was downright nastiness...pathetic.
    Maybe it was the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing...pathetic.
    Maybe the original decision was supposed to be some kind of equaliser because of the malarkey regarding Gwen son's flag...pathetic.

Somebody somewhere originally decided the flag ought not to be there and I can't see any reasonable justification for that decision, but I can see plenty of weaseling ones.
    Sorry but when was it taken off him? On entering the ground or once in? To be fair I don't kniw Seb from Adam as I guess a steward outside would not if that is where it was taken.

Irrespective if CARD have publicly chosen to initiate a banner campaign without notice to the club but via social media we have to expect some reaction as indeed the CARD announcement anticipated.

It was put right by the club very quickly as I interpret that tweet from Dave Lockwood.
    Put right by the club after several tweets to the club about it.

The problem is that while seb's flag got taken down a near identical one positioned in a near identical position albeit on the opposite side of the stand was allowed to stay.

It's not as if the club haven't been guilty of using spin recently is it?
    What??

Are you suggesting he was singled out ? I ask again as I don't know if the flag taken down once in or away from him before he entered the ground. Either way without knowing the full facts it's difficult to comment further.

I'd like to believe it was a simple confused situation that got put right.

No he wasn't singled out but the situation didn't get resolved as Seb only got given his flag back.

• Options
    Maybe the fans identify more with Seb than Katrien and she is jealous?
    Seb may have not been singled out as in being the only person to have their flag taken away, but he was singled out as the owner of a 'high profile' flag wasn't he?
    Are there confirmed reports of other flag confiscations yesterday?
  • Options
    You'd think people from Belgium would think carefully before acting like Nazis wouldn't you?

What next? Will we be required to bring in all our Charlton specific books so they can have a bonfire?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    It's slow enough getting into the ground as it is. If we're going to be body searched for flags, banners, non-club burgers etc we might never get in. Actually, perhaps that's not a bad idea ...
  • Options
    The over zealous steward hasn't stopped the flag before yesterday.
    Maybe the Seb malarkey is down to the protesters not the regime.
    Maybe the PR embarrassment will be sorted by the new head of communications next May, once she has assimilated.
  • Options
    By that reckoning PR own goals is our top scorer this season my a mile
  • Options

Quick recap then:

Read on Twitter at about 1430 that Seb had his flag removed. Don't know if it was removed when he entered the stadium or after he had hung it up?

At about 1445 the stadium announcer called Seb down to the front of the NWQ where he engaged with two people, one suited and booted, the other one in steward gear; stadium announcer also present. The suited and booted fella handed to Seb the rucksack in which his flag lives. They had a quick chat (which also involved the stadium announcer) in which it appeared that gesticulations were made to allow Seb to place the flag in its usual place. They all parted company with smiles and much man love.

Seb then took the flag out of the rucksack and hung it where he usually does.

About 15 minutes or so into the game he returned, on his own, and took it down. My hunch was because it was at risk of being blown 'off its moorings' or uprooting the North Stand!!

Another hunch - because the flag was initially given back to him in the rucksack, it would appear that it was removed when he entered the ground, before he ever had the opportunity to hang it up in the first place?

All took place relatively close to me, so just going from what I observed; 'first description' and all that your honour.

I think you have it sir.

A over zealous steward stop Seb bringing the flag in.

When the few remaining sensible people who work at the found out they were fuming and so got the flag from reception, where Seb had been allowed to leave it, and gave it back to him.

The weather did the rest.

Still a PR embarrassment for the club but not analogous with nazis burning books.

It's what the over zealous steward had been briefed before the turnstiles opened is the issue. Had the club not over reacted at the last game by taking 1 harmless banner away I doubt yesterday would have been banner day. We have a club that lacks many things at present, common sense across all levels appears to be one
  • Options
    The steward was only obeying orders.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Very sad that our coward stewards and Mick Everitt are more interested in a few poxy flags than away fans clearly standing in the exit isles all game.

I would have thought that the authorities might like to be told about that as it may cause the club trouble with fire certification, only saying!
  • Options
    What was with the noticeably heavy police presence in and around the home areas yesterday?
  • Options
    Croydon said:

What was with the noticeably heavy police presence in and around the home areas yesterday?

They expected trouble from the schoolkids who had been given free tickets. But the plus is in Katrien's mind the freebies brought the average age of home supporters down to about 76
  • Options
    Croydon said:

Has to leave 10 minutes early yesterday (thankfully!).

Never seen so many Police this season? Other than possibly QPR.

Odd? Maybe they predicted a riot? Or just maybe they had nothing to do as there was no West Stand protest.....