Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gary Neville back on Sky Sports......

Comments

• Options
    Certainly looks that way
  • Options
    Was at the Mestalla on Saturday for their 1-0 loss to Sporting Gijon , the atmosphere against poor old Gary was toxic then . Got a feeling that this might make it worse.

• Options
    Messi, Suarez and Neymar aren't bad, are they?
  • Options
    His players are letting him down badly. Negredo should have scored 5 at the weekend.
  • Options
    Still a more successful manager than Hansen!
  • Options
    Always thought it was a weird appointment, he'd be better off starting at a lower league club and working his way up building his reputation, which is now tarnished
  • Options
    After watching the doc about salford and him and his local team, i wish him the best. Hes passionate and was brought up in a winning mentality so i think he will do good as a manager. Shit result tonight tho haha. I would bet my last 20 he will be england manager one day soon
  • Options

Messi, Suarez and Neymar aren't bad, are they?

Who are they?
  • Options
    It was always going to be a tough task, first managerial role in a country where he doesn't speak the language and the fans have such high expectations. Hopefully it doesn't effect him too bad because I think he could do very well as a manager in the English game.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Hey he's still got the 2nd leg to turn it round.

Hasn't changed my opinion of him. Was a real gamble and looking like a poor decision now but it may well give him some invaluable experience.
    I remain confident that he will achieve major success in management/ coaching.
  • Options
    Hopefully puts the good pundit = good manager to bed.

Though obviously this team wouldn't be so poor if Neville had the summer to build a team around his style of play.
  • Options
    I agree SELR_addicks. However what about shit pundit = shit manager? Jamie Carrag(clearing phlegm noise)her would be a candidate.
  • Options
    Agreed that Gary Neville should be given some slack for at least giving the job a go... He one of these pundits as well that concentrates on a players positional sense (Erm he was England Right-Back for a long time) rather than slagging of Managers and saying that they should be sacked so dont think his Sky career will be ruined.

Least he's not hiding behind his punditry job like Jamie Carragher.

In the same vein, how many English Managers (experienced ones at that) have the guts to take a job abroad, he's had to deal with a language barrier and has had to try to settle in Valencia, maybe he'd be more at home in the English Leagues that he'll know better so until he does that, the jury will remain out for me
  • Options

Carter said:

At least he's got the stones to have a pop at it

The other pundits/experts/analysts wouldn't go near, he's always struck me as a pretty honourable person. He's obviously very passionate and like I said. Has the vinegar to step up and walk a mile in the shoes his colleagues are always sneering at

Absolutely spot on mate - that is one of the reason's why disliked Hansen and Lawrenson so much, when they worked together on MOTD.

Constantly sneering and criticising men like Gary Neville, who had the balls to have a go at management, which when you think about it is a pretty thankless task (ie players get the plaudits when you win - manager gets the abuse when you lose).

I remember Graham Taylor taking apart Rob Shepherd in the infamous 'Do I not Like that' documentary, when hearing the alternative England XI that Shepherd was proposing Taylor told him that "The big difference between the teams that you and I pick Rob, are that mine actually have to go out and win games of international football, and yours can never be judged, as they never have to play, so you have the easy job, and I have the impossible one".
    Lawro did have a little dabble at management and coaching, it was rather short lived and didn't pull up any trees though.
  • Options

Lawrenson is the disease of pundits

The only thing I'm not looking forward to about the euros is mark lawrenson complaining about just about anything as a co commentator. The man is a complete miserable bastard.
  • Options
    Riviera said:

Carter said:

The other pundits/experts/analysts wouldn't go near, he's always struck me as a pretty honourable person. He's obviously very passionate and like I said. Has the vinegar to step up and walk a mile in the shoes his colleagues are always sneering at

Absolutely spot on mate - that is one of the reason's why disliked Hansen and Lawrenson so much, when they worked together on MOTD.

Constantly sneering and criticising men like Gary Neville, who had the balls to have a go at management, which when you think about it is a pretty thankless task (ie players get the plaudits when you win - manager gets the abuse when you lose).

I remember Graham Taylor taking apart Rob Shepherd in the infamous 'Do I not Like that' documentary, when hearing the alternative England XI that Shepherd was proposing Taylor told him that "The big difference between the teams that you and I pick Rob, are that mine actually have to go out and win games of international football, and yours can never be judged, as they never have to play, so you have the easy job, and I have the impossible one".
    Lawro did have a little dabble at management and coaching, it was rather short lived and didn't pull up any trees though.
    He did ok at Oxford but quit when they sold Dean Saunders. But awful awful pundit.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited February 2016
    JiMMy 85 said:

Lawrenson isn't just a bad pundit, he's a BBC personality, as it were. I heard him on Fighting Talk the other week. I can only assume someone didn't turn up because he had no business being on there. He was reacting to the questions like a sarcastic 12-year-old. Making stupid literal jokes and being a massive bore.

Most high profile pundits retired so long ago I don't think they offer much more insight than regular supporters. Especially Lawrenson and the Soccer Saturday mob.

Lawrenson is the typical 'the older I get the better I was' pundit.
    I cant stand pundits, I understand football, I dont need you lot drawing circles round a player to tell me what I have just seen.
    Football highlight shows could just show more of the games if these wastrels were not included in the programmes. A total waste of space.
  • Options
    He wasn't even that good it was an era of Liverpool boot room boys that died years back Phil Thompson is the exception from that lot he understands the game is different he has a grasp on the modern side of it Hanson lawrenson are just vile
  • Options
    Shearer was another one would couldn't handle management. Fairly cack pundit as well
  • Options
    Iain Dowie. How does he get work as a pundit?
  • Options
    Carter said:

Or you could argue that they know their limitations and so don't want to go into management.
    Greenie said:

I cant stand pundits, I understand football, I dont need you lot drawing circles round a player to tell me what I have just seen.
    Football highlight shows could just show more of the games if these wastrels were not included in the programmes. A total waste of space.

But this highlights the problem with TV execs and who they hire. They'll go for a "name" rather than if they are any good. There are plenty about I'd happily listen to and give a good insight into things that maybe aren't obvious
  • Options
    McBobbin said:

Shearer was another one would couldn't handle management. Fairly cack pundit as well

A pundit who spent far too much time waffling on about teams playing with a lack of passion, and then managed a Newcastle side to the most spineless, gutless, passionless battle against relegation ever witnessed. Can't stand him, still not forgiven him for cheating his way through our cup tie with the Geordies in '97.
  • Options
    I have always rated Gary Neville as a pundit, even when Man U are on, he does well to talk as a neutral