Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Canelo Alvarez v Amir Khan, 7th May 2016, Las Vegas

Comments

• Cracking fight in prospect.
  • Khan will get his head taken off. Takes balls to sign up for that fight though.
  • Decent.
  • edited February 2016
    Some fight khan certainly will fight anyone

Smith vs malmoudia (spelling) is another cracking fight for positioning our fighters in to the top fights

• Some fight khan certainly will fight anyone

But not Kell Brook for $om£ r£a$on.

Khan will get KO'd.
  • Some fight khan certainly will fight anyone

But not Kell Brook for $om£ r£a$on.

Khan will get KO'd.
    Heard Ryan Rhodes saying that Khan was just ducking Kell. Canelo is a helluva way to duck anyone. Could be a great fight, but I'd definitely be backing Saul on this one.
  • edited February 2016
    Canelo probably favourite but this is an exciting fight because Khan has a big shout.

Canelo doesn't deal with speed well. Made to look silly against Mayweather and Lara gave him all sorts of problems.

If he was from anywhere other than Mexico he wouldn't be as big of a name.

Other than Mayweather this is his biggest test, Cotto included.

Biggest fight of Khan's career without a shadow.
  • Surely Canelo will be too big for him??
  • I don't watch a lot / any boxing but has Khan fought lately ? What weight is he at now and what's his recent record ?
  • If Khan can box and use his speed I think he will win this fight by decision.

Canelo is big, even in his weight class so if he can drag Khan into a brawl which is not unlikely can see Khan getting KO'd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Guaranteed KO this.
  • Khan out boxes Alvarez all day long for me. I'll have a bet on this too as Canelo will be an enormous favourite

Khan and Brook need to fight but this is a big opportunity and worldwide a much bigger fight than Kell

Khan is so fast and Canelo won't be able to deal with it. If he gets Khan going though he will stop him.

All this nonsense about Khan being chinny is just that. Concentration is and always has been his problem. He doesn't know how to negotiate being hurt
  • Carter said:

Khan out boxes Alvarez all day long for me. I'll have a bet on this too as Canelo will be an enormous favourite

Khan and Brook need to fight but this is a big opportunity and worldwide a much bigger fight than Kell

Khan is so fast and Canelo won't be able to deal with it. If he gets Khan going though he will stop him.

All this nonsense about Khan being chinny is just that. Concentration is and always has been his problem. He doesn't know how to negotiate being hurt

He hasn't really been hurt since moving to Hunter.

Maybe its a natural reaction to start the brawling but I'm hoping he can learn to get in the long grass when need be to get through a tough round and back to the corner because against a class operator like canelo there will be hairy moments especially with size difference.

The way people talk you would think he got knocked out every fight. He has been knocked out once against Prescott and was stopped on his feet against Garcia. As you said all concentration problems.

• I can't see Khan avoiding him for twelve rounds, so he will get tagged - but providing he doesn't walk onto anything, I'd make him slight favourite, on speed alone. Alvarez is a great fighter, but Mayweather danced around him even more than he has against so-called worse fighters (Hatton hit Mayweather more in the first three rounds than Alvarez managed in 12). Khan's biggest problem is going to be the judges if it goes to decision. The judging in the Mayweather fight was ridiculous - Floyd won that by at least nine clear rounds and one of them scored it as a draw! Great matchup though - in theory could either be an absolute barnstormer with knockdowns and a KO, or a long, exciting fight with a British winner.
  • I can't see Khan avoiding him for twelve rounds, so he will get tagged - but providing he doesn't walk onto anything, I'd make him slight favourite, on speed alone. Alvarez is a great fighter, but Mayweather danced around him even more than he has against so-called worse fighters (Hatton hit Mayweather more in the first three rounds than Alvarez managed in 12). Khan's biggest problem is going to be the judges if it goes to decision. The judging in the Mayweather fight was ridiculous - Floyd won that by at least nine clear rounds and one of them scored it as a draw! Great matchup though - in theory could either be an absolute barnstormer with knockdowns and a KO, or a long, exciting fight with a British winner.

The cotto scoring was atrocious also.

They were off, but Canelo easily won the fight.

He's a much better fighter than when he fought Mayweather (he was 23) so people using that fight as the basis for this one need to watch the Lara, Kirkland and Cotto fights.

He's a much better fighter than when he fought Mayweather (he was 23) so people using that fight as the basis for this one need to watch the Lara, Kirkland and Cotto fights.
    I actuallly thought he struggled against Lara and Kirkland had no business being there. All opinions i suppose.

I actuallly thought he struggled against Lara and Kirkland had no business being there. All opinions i suppose.
    Lara was probably the second best fighter in the division at the time, so I wouldn't really call it struggling to only win by a couple of rounds.

Agree about Kirkland though
  • If you were ducking kell Brook you certainly wouldn't have picked this fight as a substitute this fight hasn't been made in a few hrs down the boozer it's taken mths to put together, khan and his team have been extremely clever Brook would have to fight mayweather to top the interest in this bout,

It lines khan up perfectly to be the bigger name on the bill and make Brook fight him should khan win

I am 100% with Carter, khan wins and wins big his foot work alone will take him through the danger, when you add that to his hand speed and the boy can bang also, he wins I think he will win by stoppage around 9-10 and I will have a nice packet on it, it's a cracking cracking fight and if you don't watch many then I'd advise watching this and enjoying it

Khan is not chinny he has been hit with powerful shots due to poor preparation and concentration, he has been hit harder than the punches that took him apart since but was aware they would come and was prepared to absorb them and move through the round and Not keep walking on to another

Amir khan pound for pound is one of the best fighters to cone out of the UK in decades and he is an excellent boxer
  • I understand the fight has been made at 154lbs although Canelo's middleweight belt will be at stake. Khan has never fought above 147lbs and Canelo will walk into that ring at about 170lbs. Result - Canelo will outpower Khan and force a stoppage.

I would have considered going if it wasn't for my youngest doing his finals at uni - and I think I'd rather wait until September for Canelo/GGG - now that will be some fight!
  • Sponsored links:

• GGG now there is a fighting robot nor many people scare me when they enter the ring but that man is insanely fight fast,furious and packs a punch like no one
  • Will Khan be able to bulk up enough for a two division jump? Will that effect his hand speed.

Good job not at full 160 pound middleweight.

How do the American fans take to Khan? Is he a popular fighter over there?
  • The weight is an interesting one, Khan has been fairly inactive for a couple of years now and has always looked massive at whatever weight he has fought at. Maybe he's walking around and keeping himself at a weight nearer middleweight. Dunno. It is interesting though
  • My two favourite fighters. Heart says khan head says canelo.
  • MrOneLung said:

Will Khan be able to bulk up enough for a two division jump? Will that effect his hand speed.

Good job not at full 160 pound middleweight.

How do the American fans take to Khan? Is he a popular fighter over there?

They are intrigued with Amir in the States listening to people who cover boxing like Gareth a Davies and Hugh Mac of the times (the best there Is Imo) however they haven't really bought into him totally
  • I'll bet they try do this as PPV. Would have been a great one for BT to use to make their first step into live boxing .
  • Khan is out of his depth here
    Canelo will have too much power for him, he's looked very good barring his schooling by the champ Mayweather..
    Rumoured to be on the same night as Fury/Klitschko!
  • Canelo, the red headed mauler will put Khan away within the first four rounds .. Canelo has only lost to Mayweather as a pro .. that is how good he is
  • Smith vs malmoudia (spelling) is another cracking fight for positioning our fighters in to the top fights

think he needed a top 20 step up myself.

On Khan I admire him taking this but the weight is problematic. I can never recall a fighter being able to artificially reduce his weight. Of course the time between weigh in and fight is more than it ever has been, but bizarre how he can weigh in nicely at light middle then bounce into the ring looking like a super mid. Demolition of Kirkland and Doing a job on Cotto very impressive.
  • I'm not as much of an expert as some on here but surely Brook as the bigger man might have had more of a chance.

I get that Khan is a quick puncher but let's face it he has been knocked over by average 10 stone boxers he is now fighting a very very very good 11+ stone boxer

I can only see Alvarez winning probably on points