Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

The week that was - 8th May 1999. Aston Villa 3 Charlton 4

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Kermy said:
    Brilliant watching that brings back some good memories....36 points wasn't a bad total for that season, it was just that run in the middle 3rd that put us down, still we came back a lot stronger and the rest is history now, still remember the massives taking the piss on the last day though.....wankers.
  • Options
    Great game I remember thinking barnsey was going to curl free kick into top corner. Then we just layed it off and mills just smashed it in. Don't think no one expected it especially villas defence. Remember match of day played it at end of show to music that's life I think good clip with curbs punching air why would anyone wont to support anyone else.
  • Options
    Jibbed it all the way there and back and even got a ticket for nothing off a steward.
    Free beer at the station offi as well ;-)
  • Options

Jibbed it all the way there and back and even got a ticket for nothing off a steward.
    Free beer at the station offi as well ;-)

Did you set the fire alarm off at the station?
  • Options
    This was one of my last games before moving back to Perth I still have the cut out from the paper a picture of me in a nuns outfit with the word nun but the brave. A fantastic day.
  • Options

This was one of my last games before moving back to Perth I still have the cut out from the paper a picture of me in a nuns outfit with the word nun but the brave. A fantastic day.

I remember that. I think you even got a second or two on MOTD?

• Options

one of my favourite ever away days, went through every emotion that day

Best prem away day I ever had

You sure know how to make a bloke feel better :)
  • Options
    That season had 2 of my best away days 3-3 at Anfield and this.

Remember being drenched and standing on my seat asking my dad "why can't we do this all the time?"
  • Options
    Was a truely great day mate we went up by limo and got smashed royally I can remember dancing on the bridge across the motor way at Watford gap with all addicks driving underneath it beeping their horns

Was the best prem away day bar none
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:

Don't let me know how it finished, Bing...... I might want to watch it tonight.

;o)

And don't tell me what happens to that ship in the Titanic movie.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Remember it like yesterday. Best match I've ever been to. Even trumps the play-off final for me.
  • Options
    Went to every away day that season,the 0-0 at Newcastle first game was briliiant especially as we finished with 10 after Rufus got sent off,but that Villa game was an absolute classic Charlton performance,Villa fans shaking hands as we left the stadium wishing us luck,which sadly we did not get last game of the season against Wednesday.
  • Options
    I was listening to this on clubcall. Probably cost about 300 quid. I regret nothing. 
  • Options
    Twas a classic. 20 years ago, unbelievable.
    Yes, we were shaking hands with Villa fans afterwards, never done that with oppo fans before or since.
  • Options
    Went crying to my room when it went 3-3 because I thought we'd been relegated

Had my Mum screaming upstairs telling me that Danny Mills had won it
  • Options
    Our seats collapsed when Mills scored no 4 and 2 are in Westmount Rd, SE9 . . . What a brilliant away day . . . . 
  • Options
    Almost got thrown out of Dixon’s in Bluewater when I was crowded round a tele watching soccer Saturday. Mills scored and I went bat shit mental rolling around on the floor kicking my legs in the air
  • Options
    One of my favourite away days I’ve ever had. Was only 11.
    Dont care what it looks like in any video highlights, that Steve Brown save from the free kick was one of the best saves I’ve ever seen.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't Villa try punting long range shots at Brownie for the rest of the game? If they'd given him the courtesy of treating him like a proper keeper, I reckon they probably would have won, but they wasted their chances.
  • Options
    BDL said:
    Bump!

Best away day I can remember, absolutely mental.

https://youtu.be/F4Cfnd8Yra8

Who’s the commentator?

Can see myself behind the goal. Glad I was too young to drink in those days. Amazing game.
  • Options
    BDL said:
    Bump!

Best away day I can remember, absolutely mental.

https://youtu.be/F4Cfnd8Yra8

Who’s the commentator?

Can see myself behind the goal. Glad I was too young to drink in those days. Amazing game.
    Sounds like David Coleman.
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    Any difference between Petterson's challenge on Joachim and Shea's (Luton) challenge on Vetokele...? ;)
  • Options
    Was living in Birmingham at the time and spent the next few days on a high driving around the city like a loon with a Charlton scarf fluttering from the window. Looking back on it the locals must have thought wtf but hey ... games like that don't come along very often. 
  • Options
    Southgate said after the game that out support was unbelievable. As i recall they even opened up a side stand to get more in.

Other than the Rufus goal at Wembley i cant remember going apeshit like i did when Mills rocket hit the net.

Mendoncs last goal for us as well.
    Was it??
  • Options
    Is that the Chuckle Brothers ?
  • Options
    drewman said:
    Southgate said after the game that out support was unbelievable. As i recall they even opened up a side stand to get more in.

Other than the Rufus goal at Wembley i cant remember going apeshit like i did when Mills rocket hit the net.

Mendoncs last goal for us as well.
    Was it??
    No. 
  • Options
    Certainly one of my most memorable awaydays. Villa fans were great afterwards. I was a sad, lonely sod that day, driving there and back on my own but we were all mates once inside the ground with a fantastic atmosphere, despite our  circumstances at the time. Shame the following Saturday was such an anticlimax.