Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Igor Vetokele

Comments

• Options
    I wonder if he will ever come good. I'm not sure if I've ever seen him play but interested to know people's views on whether he's a top player who is suffering from injuries and loss of form, or whether that was a lucky purple patch when he first joined and he is an ordinary player. Players get these freak goalscoring phases, I remember Jacko having one in 2010/2011. I do hope this isnt whats happening with Lyle or Karlan.
  • Options
    When he joined he reminded me so much of Darren Bent, his pace, movement and eye for goal was outstanding.

Really hope for him he'll get fully fit again one day and get back to that sort of form.

Doubt he will though.
  • Options
    Only way he is going to get into the side is via an injury to someone else. From what I've seen so far I'm praying that doesn't happen.
  • Options
    addick05 said:

Only way he is going to get into the side is via an injury to someone else. From what I've seen so far I'm praying that doesn't happen.

I would say he should be on the bench ahead of Ajose, but Ajose vs Stevenage was better than Igor for me, he worked his balls off and was a true team player... Think Ajose deserves at least a sub appearance.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

addick05 said:

I would say he should be on the bench ahead of Ajose, but Ajose vs Stevenage was better than Igor for me, he worked his balls off and was a true team player... Think Ajose deserves at least a sub appearance.
    Agree about Ajose's work rate. However, he was bought to score goals (as was Igor) and quite simply, neither have delivered whichever system we play - and yes, I realise neither have been given an extended run in the team - but while Grant and Taylor are scoring regularly they wont be.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

If Igor was the same player we had when he joined, he would be scoring every week.

For somebody else though.
    Arguably it'd be for us in the Championship still. We may well have not been relegated if we had a reliable goal scorer.
  • Options

If Igor was the same player we had when he joined, he would be scoring every week.

He might be scoring every week now if he actually bloody played. Scored 2 against Stevenage the other week when he started a match. Admitedly he didnt do a lot agsinst Luton but then again that was his first start of the season & had been out injured before then. Give him a run of 4 or 5 games like Grant had at the start of the season & I'm sure he'll score.
  • Options

He might be scoring every week now if he actually bloody played. Scored 2 against Stevenage the other week when he started a match. Admitedly he didnt do a lot agsinst Luton but then again that was his first start of the season & had been out injured before then. Give him a run of 4 or 5 games like Grant had at the start of the season & I'm sure he'll score.
    But why drop one of the two strikers who are already scoring regularly on the chance he'd do the same?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:

But why drop one of the two strikers who are already scoring regularly on the chance he'd do the same?
    I didn't suggest dropping anyone I merely pointed out that Vetokele can't score if he's sitting on the bench & when he did play in a game he scored. Can't blame him too much for his performance against Luton as it was his first start of the season & before then had very minimal appearances after an injury.

IF one of the front 2 were out for a month or two & IF Vetokele then had a run of games then we could all comment further.
  • Options

thenewbie said:

Taylor and Grant have 15 goals from 14 matches whereas the rest of our squad have just 6 between them and one or the other has scored in all bar 3 of those 14 games. When was the last time we had a partnership that did that?

If it ain't broke..............
    True, but you are highlighting an area that does look a bit broke at the moment.
  • Options

thenewbie said:

Taylor and Grant have 15 goals from 14 matches whereas the rest of our squad have just 6 between them and one or the other has scored in all bar 3 of those 14 games. When was the last time we had a partnership that did that?

True, but you are highlighting an area that does look a bit broke at the moment.
    Yeah but its broken amongst the rest of the squad rather than Taylor and Grant
  • Options
    I think Grant suffers more at home when it is difficult to get behind defenders. It is worth considering options in those circumstances. He is clearly an asset in other situations.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Igor was a top-half Championship forward who thrived on balls across the box from wide areas. He got an injury, we rushed him back, played him when injured and ruined him.

That's what it looks like until there is any real evidence to the contrary!
  • Options

I think Grant suffers more at home when it is difficult to get behind defenders. It is worth considering options in those circumstances. He is clearly an asset in other situations.

True, but getting behind defenders is a big part of Igor's game too, so I am not entirely sure he would be the solution to that particular issue.
  • Options
    I know - and that is assuming he is still up to it. I thought Bowyer needed to bring Sarr on when Oxford scored on Tuesday, and not as a defender, which sums up or attacking options when you scratch the surface.
  • Options
    edited October 2018
    Controversial I know - but I simply don’t think he is that good.

So he had 6-7 really good games when he joined. He looked like he was absolutely busting a gut in each in order to provide those performances. Could have just been a case of new club and going above and beyond to impress.

A lot of excuses have been made for him over the past 3 years or so now. I just don’t think he’s very good.
  • Options
    play him in the cup with a strongish side behind him and hope he scores - so we can offload him, unlikely though, he'll probably go on a free as no one will match his wages
  • Options
    Would be interesting to see us play a true 4-3-3.

Reeves Cullen Aribo across the middle, Taylor Grant Vetokele up top.
  • Options
    Taylor picks up bookings. Won’t be too long before he’s suspended. Igor comes in and has to make himself undropable. Can’t see him ousting either Grant or Taylor any other way. Doubt we’ll get to see the Igor that first signed for us again.
  • Options
    Maybe just maybe, he isn't as good as we all thought he was. One good month 3 years ago in the Championship seems to be good enough for most to think he is a top champ level striker. His past injury and the brutal nature of league 1 mean imo we have a striker who isn't ever going to be any good for us
  • Options
    edited October 2018

thenewbie said:

Think if we set up 4-3-3 against some of the lesser sides he could get his minutes. Lyle and Karlan either side of him, midfield of Bielik, Cullen, Pratley and a solid back 4 of Dijksteel, Bauer, Pearce and Solly.

That'd in 2-3 weeks time, until then replace either Karlan or Lyle on 60-70 minutes if they're not doing it and he'll have at least 20 minutes to get his competitive reactions back, and use him in with the unders if he doesn't get a game.

Ajose could be treated similarly imo.
  • Options
    edited October 2018

thenewbie said:

Unlike the last couple of seasons the two strikers are both doing well dispite Taylor missing sitters. Since Holmes left only Aribo, occasionally JFC when he was fit have looked like scoring from midfield. Reeves comes close but even Clarke never looked like scoring before his injury.

Both Grant and Taylor are scoring. Igor and Ajosie need to score from the bench when coming on to join the party.