Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Igor Vetokele

Comments

• We've got nothing to lose by giving him the chance to show the manager what he is capable of.
  • Lee Bowyer has confirmed that striker Igor Vetokele is set to be at Sparrows Lane this week when Charlton return for pre-season training on Wednesday.

The frontman, who joined the Addicks from Copenhagen in the summer of 2014, has spent the last two seasons out on loan.

And Bowyer says that he is looking forward to meeting 26-year-old Vetokele, who netted 11 goals during his first season at The Valley.

“He’s been out on loan in the 18 months I’ve been here, so it will be interesting to see what he is like, on the pitch and off the pitch,” Bowyer said.

“I’ve heard good things about him and I know that I’m going to have players coming in. Everyone is going to be fighting for their place.

“Jacko has mentioned him and said he’s a decent player. He’s been away a long time playing abroad, so you don’t know what his fitness will be like or anything.

“It’s completely different to the English game, especially in League One where it is so physical and demanding – whether he’ll be ready for that I don’t know but I’m looking forward to meeting him, for sure.”

• A front 3 of Igor, *NEW TARGET MAN*, Fosu should be good enough for top 2 in this pony league.
  • Excellent get to have him back to play in all of our pre season friendlys for him to be sold off just before the season to starts. Same old same old.
  • I know one thing, his little girl is the spit of Vincent Kompany.
  • buckshee said:

I know one thing, his little girl is the spit of Vincent Kompany.

Might need her at CB then.
  • Would love to see him back leading in the line next season. Would at least have some kind of hope/optimism if that was the case
  • Interesting to check out his Charlton record against two other esteemed strikers.

Igor Vetokele 61 games, 13 goals: 1 in 4.69
    Tony Watt 56 games, 10 goals: 1 in 5.60
    Josh Magennis 88 games, 20 goals: 1 in 4.40

Igor played in The Championship, Magennis in League One.
    He also played a lot while crocked.
  • I suspect the Championship plays a lot better than the Belgian league - so it would make a lot of sense fo0r Igor (and his agent) to put himself on show at Charlton in the last season of his contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• A fit Igor at this level should piss it but we SHOULD all know by now when he does get fit he will be loaned or sold.
  • edited June 2018
  • edited June 2018

Cheers Colin.
  • edited June 2018
    If he's over his injury woes, which the club contributed to big time and is back to somewhere like his best when he first arrived, then bring it on. His goals at Brighton and Reading under Peters were special for me. Igor and Sarr must be the biggest earners though so I'm not holding my breath for his permanent return until the ownership of the club is resolved.

In Bowyer I trust in the Douchbag I don't.

Cheers Colin.
    lol sorry it was more posted for the "Igor Vetokele liked this" part at the very top rather than the news post itself.
  • He has to come back to pick up how old pants from the Laundry room before Roly sells him for tuppence (the happenay was discounted for a cash sale)
  • Even if he proves his fitness and scores 2 in every friendly, if the guy is on stupid wages then it's surely going to be out of Bowyer's hands as to whether we keep him. I have zero faith in him being around for our first league game.

If Bowyer is made permanent by new owners, he wants to keep him, and he can convince them Igor can be accommodated within budget, I think it's still a possibility.

Cheers Colin.
    lol sorry it was more posted for the "Igor Vetokele liked this" part at the very top rather than the news post itself.
    Ah i hadn't spotted that, pre-mature colinning from me!
  • Sage said:

Said before and will say again, he has been working really hard during the off season with lots of running in different climates and different locations such as level ground and uphill.

He is in the last year of his contract and without setting the world alight on loan, but definitely doing good enough, he either will want to play well for us and get us promoted, do well enough to get a deal elsewhere next season.

A fit Igor Vetokele will score goals in this division, his pace and his ability to jump high alone is valuable assets in League One. I’m looking forward to having him back, for sure.

Fingers crossed it works out for all, and he comes back and does well.

Awesome, good for him. If we can get the best out of him, he could well be the best forward in the division. Even with a takeover, I can't see us going out and getting another center forward with his upside. I just there's such a paucity at this level, and any that might be available will require a ridiculous amount of money. So yeah, let's give him a go.

I'm quite curious to see him and Josh up front together. I think they might be great foils for each other.
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ll be amazed if he’s still with us once the loan window closes.
  • Hope he stays and plays for us, good asset. I don't hold him personally responsible for how things turned out for him after his injury.
  • Club making a relatively big deal of this through their social media channels. I hope it's because there is a genuine expectation that he will be part of our League One squad for 2018/19 and not just an effort to throw us starving dogs of fans a bone of good news.

My gut feeling is he won't be here beyone pre-season. Robinson said similar things about the likes of Cebalos and Igor himself last summer, but they were all off, just the same.
  • Club making a relatively big deal of this through their social media channels. I hope it's because there is a genuine expectation that he will be part of our League One squad for 2018/19 and not just an effort to throw us starving dogs of fans a bone of good news.

My gut feeling is he won't be here beyone pre-season. Robinson said similar things about the likes of Cebalos and Igor himself last summer, but they were all off, just the same.

Did he say anything about Igor? I don't remember that (which is not to say it didn't happen).

I remember he was very cautious around Ceballos, and kind of alluded to the fact that he *might* be with us. But despite looking our best player in the friendlies CC was soon gone, presumably because of wages.

Advertising IMO.
  • SDAddick said:

Club making a relatively big deal of this through their social media channels. I hope it's because there is a genuine expectation that he will be part of our League One squad for 2018/19 and not just an effort to throw us starving dogs of fans a bone of good news.

Did he say anything about Igor? I don't remember that (which is not to say it didn't happen).

I remember he was very cautious around Ceballos, and kind of alluded to the fact that he *might* be with us. But despite looking our best player in the friendlies CC was soon gone, presumably because of wages.
    He generally spoke about looking at the players that'd been out on loan and he hadn't met yet. Being keen to see what they were like, clean slate etc. etc. To be fair Sarr is still here, but the general point being, and I realise others have already made it, is that just because Bowyer wants to look at him, it doesn't have a huge bearing on if he'll stay or not.
  • edited June 2018
  • Redrobo said:

se9addick said:

If he's fit, he'd tear up League One.

Some said that about Watt.

Well not the fit bit obviously.
    I'd imagine that Vetokele has the application and desire that seems to be sadly lacking from Watt.

Bring Vetokele back and hope that he gets an injury free run in the side, and see him rack up 20 goals next season.
    I'm not so sure. Appears to like wrapping himself up in cotton wool and going on holiday. Strange comments about how tiring challenging for a big header can be and needs recovery period on the pitch. Complained about the amount of games in England and no winter break. To dampen his hunger also had security of long contract/decent salary. I think he peaked with the brace away at Brighton and it was all downhill from there. Yes he had the injury but that didn't stop him bizzarely accepting an Angola call up during rehab, hard pitches on an achilles. Would be an expensive 3rd tier player unless as you suggest, he'd pull up trees and deliver.
  • sam3110 said:

c'mon make your point
  • edited June 2018

sam3110 said:

c'mon make your point
    I thought he made a very good point about both group A matches not starting their 2nd halves simultaneously. Sweet FA to do with Igor but a good point nevertheless :wink: .