Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Igor Vetokele

Comments

• Options
    Igor put on weight though as he struggled to deal with the injury that he sustained whilst with us the first time... We as a club didnt handle it well (another of Katie's legacies) and its understandable that he put on weight as he struggled with not playing and constantly having set backs.

That was two years ago now and has played 20-games for Sint Truiden this season mising just 10 of those

If thats the case then despite the Jupiler League being less physical than England, you'd expect him to be fit enough still - Of course if he isnt fit enough then a proper pre-season with Charlton (if thats being done properly) should get him into shape, if he stays then I cant imagine Bowyer / Jackson or any typical English Manager letting him even remain at the club if that isnt achievable for him as attitude issues surely come into play
  • Options
    Love to see him back with us but I just can’t see it. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge and I’ve got a hunch he and his family are happier in mainland Europe than here. I see another loan until his contract runs out.
  • Options
    edited June 2018

Igor put on weight though as he struggled to deal with the injury that he sustained whilst with us the first time... We as a club didnt handle it well (another of Katie's legacies) and its understandable that he put on weight as he struggled with not playing and constantly having set backs.

That was two years ago now and has played 20-games for Sint Truiden this season mising just 10 of those

If thats the case then despite the Jupiler League being less physical than England, you'd expect him to be fit enough still - Of course if he isnt fit enough then a proper pre-season with Charlton (if thats being done properly) should get him into shape, if he stays then I cant imagine Bowyer / Jackson or any typical English Manager letting him even remain at the club if that isnt achievable for him as attitude issues surely come into play

Not that I want to defend her or the current senior management, but Charlton have history of poor management of injuries before RD took ownership. Look at Youga for example!
  • Options

Love to see him back with us but I just can’t see it. A lot of water has flowed under the bridge and I’ve got a hunch he and his family are happier in mainland Europe than here. I see another loan until his contract runs out.

Having signed a 5-year contract when Charlton were in the Championship, I would guess Vetokele is one of our highest earners currently.
    I believe he has a year remaining, so last chance saloon for the club to flog him for a transfer fee.

Given our League One status, no doubt there will be a fixed budget. If the player isn't sold or again loaned out and a major part of his wages paid by the loan club, then he'd be perhaps a financial luxury back at Charlton?

Mind you, probably a lot cheaper than signing a new million pound striker!

• Options
    BR3red said:

Maybe you missed the games before he got badly injured.

After that when he came back for us he looked was nowhere close, came back too soon I reckon.

Even half a yard off could do it in championship, even more so on league 1

Fair shout actually

I do go to every game and yes he was a different (fatter) player on his return
    He looked like Hasselbaink's brother by another mother on his return. The Hasselbaink that played for us I mean.

That said if Igor got properly fit and motivated I'd take him back in a heartbeat. He and Magennis with a confident KAG as back up would be as decent a strike force as anyone could realistically hope for at league 1 level.
  • Options
    How many good players go back to a club and do well a second time,not for me
  • Options
    doronron said:

Ahmed Kashi for one - 2 years out then back and more than capable at our level. Danny Green and Lawrie Wilson both returned to (at least partly) positive effect.
    Igor would tear up League One. Hopefully with all traces of roly's toxic pantomime excised and the fucktard thinking that's infected his four year shitshow all in the past, the new regime will make best use of the resources it already has. In practice, not playing Igor is gonna end up costing most of his contract anyway, so better to get the most from him. The best return on his wages is gonna be him scoring goals for Charlton.
    Magennis and Vetokele vs most of the defenders we see in the 3rd division? Yes please.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redrobo said:

se9addick said:

If he's fit, he'd tear up League One.

Some said that about Watt.

Well not the fit bit obviously.
    I'd imagine that Vetokele has the application and desire that seems to be sadly lacking from Watt.

Bring Vetokele back and hope that he gets an injury free run in the side, and see him rack up 20 goals next season.
  • Options

If he does come back, I wonder how many times he will get called Ventokele on here?

Quite a lot.
  • Options
    Interesting to check out his Charlton record against two other esteemed strikers.

Igor Vetokele 61 games, 13 goals: 1 in 4.69
    Tony Watt 56 games, 10 goals: 1 in 5.60
    Josh Magennis 88 games, 20 goals: 1 in 4.40

• Options

Interesting to check out his Charlton record against two other esteemed strikers.

Magennis is only at league one level.
  • Options

Igor played in The Championship, Magennis in League One.
  • Options
    doronron said:

Quite a lot actually.

Firmani, Hales, Flanagan and Mortimer for example.
  • Options
    Mametz said:

doronron said:

Quite a lot actually.

Firmani, Hales, Flanagan and Mortimer for example.
    Powell...
  • Options
    Last season he scored 3 goals, which is pretty underwhelming really (the same number as Texeira incidentally, and 1 fewer than Botaka). Indeed he hasn't scored a league goal since the 20th January. It certainly doesn't give me confidence that he would destroy L1.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2999&teamTabs=stats

• Options
    edited June 2018

Last season he scored 3 goals, which is pretty underwhelming really (the same number as Texeira incidentally, and 1 fewer than Botaka). Indeed he hasn't scored a league goal since the 20th January. It certainly doesn't give me confidence that he would destroy L1.

http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=2999&teamTabs=stats

Vetokele was played out wide last season, not as a striker. He scored 5 goals in 27 games in all competitions, playing out wide, for an average of around 55-60 minutes per appearance.

He would do well for us in League One next season as long as he had a full pre season behind him.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He is back with us(officially) since the end of May according to Wiki page covering Belgian football transfers -https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Belgian_football_transfers_summer_2018

And the Belgian transfer window opens 1st July so maybe Roland hoping to nick him back for Sint truiden then.
  • Options
    More likely to sell him.
  • Options

Vetokele was only fit for about 20 of those games. He was clearly playing with an achilles problem that hampered his accelleration from a standing start, then when recovered was overweight.

Unfit, then overweight. Sounds like his previous time with us (after his first couple of months)
  • Options
    Sounds positive from what Bowyer says

Certainly doesnt sound like he'll initially be one of the five out that Bowyer discussed with Roland
  • Options
    Hopefully Igor is with us for the season but I just can't see him being here past August regardless of who owns the club.
  • Options
    Don't see this being any different to Teixeira and Ceballos last pre-season.

Anyone know (or have a rough idea) of what his wages are?
  • Options

Don't see this being any different to Teixeira and Ceballos last pre-season.

Anyone know (or have a rough idea) of what his wages are?

Didn't someone say £15k a week?
  • Options
    Still have fond memories of the away games at Brentford, Brighton and Rotherham when Igor scored, but also the Rotherham CB took turns in kicking him and I'm sure this was the start of the Achilles problems.